Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth Helston League Pitches

Just wondered peoples opinions on the pitches we are playing on in these leagues. I have been playing up in bristol for the last 3 years and have come back to cornwall and playing my first season for mullion after being at wendron for 7 years.

Maybe i have been spoilt playing on decent pitches, but after playing down the lizard last night and frogpool a couple of weeks ago ( this pitch needing dog s%@t to be cleaned off it before we played) the state of those pitches were not good for football. Now i know some teams do this to make it hard for opposition teams and could well be a tactic and also fully understand that some clubs havent got the finances in place for mowers or enough help for someone to come up and cut the grass.

I know you cant do much about the slope like constantines pitch but the least you can do is make some attempt at cutting the grass so we can play football on them!

Thoughts please

This is junior football were in every club a few individuals keep the club going.this number diminishes as years go by because most players just want to turn up and play and the volunteers tend to be old players who turn out year after year.there is also a recession on at present and company's are not so willing to support clubs unless involved themselves. To quote Carharrack on another thread they are lucky to have 4 people who can work on the pitch and look at the result :clapper:

if your pitch is a council pitch like ours at park road you have to put up with idiots riding motorbikes or cars across it and as happened last season smashing glass bottles in the goal mouth. it does not help when you share a pitch with another team and they train in the goal mouth every week rain or shine :glare::SM_carton:

it is easy to say that pitches are s**t but do you actually help out at mullion or do you just turn up and play :unsure: i suspect the latter of the 2.

we played both lizard and frogpool pre season and both are well run clubs please think before you run these hard working people down. :c:

I play in the duchy league for bere alston and although it is a council pitch we take responsibility to cut it every week, make sure we don't train on it and spend the majority of the money we raise on treatin the grass in the summer. It doesn't take much for people to help, but help if you have a dedicated committee and chairman.

I wasnt putting anyone down at all. I think i said in my post i fully appreciate that some clubs havent got the finances for it and others struggle to get people to help out.

I also never said that the lizard or frogpool werent run properly. I have played down the lizard for years and have always had a good game and the welcome and drink after the game is always good laugh. It was clearly asking what other people thought.

And having just joined mullion 3 weeks ago, ive already talked about helping the commitee and helping out around the clubhouse and doing manual labour of a weekend so im not just a player who turns up on a saturday and goes home.

The Lizards finances are fine thanks Tim, if i were you i would look at your own club first because Mullion are in a financial mess. Maybe if you went cap in hand to the Lizard they would lend you some cash to sort your club out.

perhaps you should get some of that cash out and spend it on a decent lawn mower then!!!!! your pitch last nite was really bad!!!!!!!!!!! :