Cornwall Football Forum

Celtic v Arsenal

GuvDRed

I love the way the Scors say they cant compete financially. Excuse me but Celtic and Rangers have two of the biggest followings in the World let alone Scotland and they say they cant compete financially despite having massive gates as well. What a load of rubbish.

I love the way the Scors say they cant compete financially. Excuse me but Celtic and Rangers have two of the biggest followings in the World let alone Scotland and they say they cant compete financially despite having massive gates as well. What a load of rubbish.

It's taken Celtic a while but they have got themselves on a very sound financial footing. Not so sure about Rangers, though. Massive gates, yes, for both of them, and I'm certain they'd both do well in the EPL - IF they were invited, that is. However, what they can't compete with on the same terms as teams in th EPL is the financial income from sources such as Sky. The SPL is a weaker financial model - as we have seen when Setanta went bust - and, purely in playing terms, the SPL teams in the main are barely Championship standard. Some of them would struggle in Divisions 1 and 2 in this country. That is something they accept and know there is nothing they can do about it. Celtic and Rangers do the very best they can with the resources at their disposal - playing and financial - but they are well behind the top teams in the EPL with little hope of bridging the gap. Celtic and Rangers in the EPL is something that has been mooted for years but it's no nearer happening now than, say, 20 years ago. Top players going to the SPL is really a non-starter nowadays and that creates problems of it's own.