Cornwall Football Forum

Duchy League Predictions...

With the new Duchy League season due to start this weekend, who do people think will win each division? Although very difficult to predict due to player movement at this level I will have a go... and others can follow:

Premier Division:

After just missing out last season I'm sure Torpoint will be even more determined to win this years title; St Teath will probably be there or thereabouts and there will be a number of other teams such as Gunnislake, St Cleer, Fowey Utd & Saltash that will more than hold their own.

Winners: Torpoint.

Division 1:

Of the sides coming up from division 2 Bodmin Saints will again be the team to beat, and they may have gained several players from Lanivet; Probus have lost several players to Tregony & Grampound have strengthened their squad. This could be an extremely tight and unpredictable division.

Winners: Bodmin Saints.

Division 2:

Another difficult division to predict with several decent sides; St Newlyn East, Looe Reserves & Bere Alston United should all be up there & I think that Calstock could well be the surprise package in this division.

Winners: St Newlyn East

Division 3:

I think that this is one of the easier leagues to predict; I'd expect St Austell to be the team to beat with Premier Sixes & Biscovey also in the mix. St Dennis Reserves could well surprise a few if they've picked up a few players from their first team.

Winners: St Austell.

Division 4:

All of the sides that have come up from division 5 should be a force and Gerrans have signed a few decent players. Callington had 2 players that both scored 30+ last season and for me this makes them favourites; although Sticker & North Petherwin will probably both be strong sides. St Columb Minor may well also be a force now that they have become Newquay FC 3rds.

Winners: Callington

Division 5:

History tells us that 2 or 3 of the newly formed sides are always strong; and I'd expect one of them to win the league. Charlestown Saints have high hopes and in Nick Mills could well have the divisions top scorer in their side. Padstow United could well be dark horses and may well have picked up some decent players with St Merryn folding. I'd also expect St Cleer Reserves to spring a surprise or two. Tregony have some experienced players in their side and have made a huge signing in Ben Ringrose; for me they will start as favourites.

Winners: Tregony

What does everyone else think?!

Well Jules.....

I'd have to go with St.Teath for premier division just as there pre season results have been of a senior side standard......they are lookin very gd, although Torpoint will be there or abouts.

Division 1 will interet you as i'm gonna throw a spanner in the works and gonna say Grampound will win this league just due to fact they have signed some gd players and always hard to beat,with Bodmin close second

Division 2 i'm gonna go with Bere Alston as they have signed alot of new players and always have a physical battle when playing them away from home.....home form is key.

Division 3 only 1 winner in St.Austell with Premier sixes close second.....if prenier had kept couple of key players then i would've gone for them

Division 4 i'm gonna say there are 4 teams which could be there in North Petherwin, Callington,Minor(Newquay 3rds)and Gerrans......which 1 will i choose, well i'm gonna go with Callington just as there a gd side with 2 great strikers and will be keen to go up again. The other 3 will be fighting out for runners up....i have missed Sticker out who will also be up there.....hard league to decide.

Division 5 only 1 winner for me if they manage to stay together and keep there players.......i'm going with Tregony, some very gd signings,young players, but also some experience in there aswell. One to watch out for in the Junior cup also!!!!!

St Teath are gonna be up there in the prem' I agree. But as for Div' one, let me take this opportunity to remind you Bodmin Saints beat St Teath 5 - 3 (nope I'm told it was 5 - 2) a couple of weeks ago.

Grampound? Oh yes, definately they are a hard team to beat, totally agree with you there. I reckon top three in any order: Saints, Grampound and Week St Mary. I have to be honest I don't know a lot about Godolphin Atlantic and they might be in the mix. Probus? Not sure, a lot of comings and goings - mostly goings apparently. But then we lost three excellant players ourselves. Whatever happens; it's going to be interesting.

If by any chance we at Saints are there at the end, it will be quite an achievement. We've had four promotions in four seasons.The first two were more or less by default but the second two were down to the efforts of the players and Martin Hicks the manager.

Lastly, one or two have mentioned Boscastle to me. Might be the surprise package!

As far as duchy prem is concerned i can only see st teath winning it. The squad is far stronger than last year with the new signings looking awesome in pre season games. Still think it will be a really tough league with few points seperating the top 5/6 teams. Dont know much bout the other divisions but have heard similar whispers about Boscastle. Pablo you boys thorougly deserved to win that night and it has been a blessing in disguise as after a mass bollockin we have had two great results(Bodmin 1st team lost 3-0 no disgrace and liskeard ecpl won 5-2 and dominated). You lads got a good team and will def be there or there abouts.

PREM - Hmm i think the prem will be between two teams, Torpoint and St teath.

If St teath can get a particular signing then i think it could well be theres this time. But seeing some of torpoints pre season results i think they will come out more consistant over the season.

TORPOINT

ONE After seeing saint in action with teath they should win this league thats if things can stay together out there. Also grampound were very strong in the closing stages of last season and could well be up there. But im going to say saints as they look strong all over the field.

BODMIN SAINTS

TWO - Always the strangest and most unpredictable league, I think it will be a battle of the teams that came up, Dont think any teams from last season will be up there, but im going to go with Lanreath or looe,

THREE - i dont think that St Austell will take it easily, prem 6's will be a thorn in there side again, But i would watch out for St Minver with all the signing there getting in and impressive pre season results i think they could well have a say in the league.

ST AUSTELL

FOUR - Dont know many of the teams in this league, but can imagine that sticker will be strong. But all the hype gerrans are getting on here maybe they will take it.

STICKER

FIVE - Have to be one of the new teams, Tregony will have a strong side, as will charlstown.

TREGONY

Only my opinion tho, im sure a lot will happen over the season. Good luck.

i think st teath for the premier as i live in the village and there pre season form has been great div 1 will be tight this yr think bodmin saints probably but boscastle have there strongest squad for a few yrs and if they click could be a surprise package which is good for me as i run the reseveres which will help us to be stronger with some new signings and some of the older 1st stepping bac to us ,also div 2 delabole have a strong side a but think bere alston , div 3 st minver ,div4 north petherwin but my team boscastle resevres beat north 5-4 in preseason friendly and they ad lanson 1st player playing for them, div5 lots new teams coming in so have to wait and see

Prem

Torpoint

Div One

Bodmin Saints

Div Two

Bere Alston

Div Three

Premier Sixes to finally overcome St Austell? We may have lost Ringrose to Tregony and TJ to Newquay but we still have the influential Olander the Swede as well as having winger Neil Currah and ex-Frickley striker Martyn Probert available all season. We have only had the strongest team available for one game pre-season and they cantered past a decent Storm Res team in the 60 mins they were on (before a 5 way substitution). First game against Wadebridge will set the bench mark.

Div Four

Newquay 3rds (Minor)

Div 5

Duke of Cornwall

Premier Division:

only gona be 1 winner but gunnislake and st teath will give them good games.

Winners: Torpoint.

Division 1:

Altarnun were unlucky with squad numbers last season in the prem but with new signings they should win this league, played against bodmin sts on wednesday for altarnun reserves they looked very average.

Winners: Aultrnun.

Division 2:

Another difficult division to predict with several decent sides; St Newlyn East, Looe Reserves & Bere Alston United should all be up there & I think that Calstock could well be the surprise package in this division.

Winners: looe res

Division 3:

2 horse race again between these 2 p6 and st austell

Winners: St Austell.

Division 4:

played several games for north petherwin they got class throut there squad. lots of player movement in this league any of these 4 callington, southgate, north petherwin and aultarun.

Winners: ?

Division 5:

North hill with nearly an entire new squad and most of them from higher leagues should bounce straight back up.

Winners: North hill

Guest Fray Bentos

i doubt tregony for div 5 have a few good players but cant gel but its still early days

div 4 gerrans have a huge shout after todays result, rumour has it they didnt push into 4th gear

premier winners torpoint

div 3 going to be very close i think between st.austel and sixes ,my money would be on sixes the advantage of playing home games on an artificial surface will do it for me! (an advantage i do not agree with)but not puting down sixes great team and goodluck to both sides!

div four another interesting battle i think alot of talk about north petherwin not such a great result yesterday!but first game of season same with st columb,callington and sticker may be a bit more serious title contenders, gerrans also after much talk showing they have a very strong side with there big win yesterday! i was told played whole of second half without captain ryan harris and still without 2 of there new signings,could be contenders also.

winners ?? gerrans my money for whats shown so far

div 5 ?? not to sure tregony dont have a bad side not sure quite how good they are goin to be tho ?? favourits played eachother yesterday and drew so could be a tight season

winners charlestown