Cornwall Football Forum

Liskeard Ath SWPL Prem v Newquay AFC SWPL (1W)

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Newquay fans get the chance to see The Peppermints up against a Prem side at last. Hopefully, we can add to the impressive last 30mins from Fridays match and show the Prem that we can hack it in the top flight.

Some fans are staying at Mount Wise to watch the Combos v St Stephen (also 7.00pm) but a few of us will travel to Lux park, stick a few flags up as they need a airing after being stuck in the man cave all summer, and hopefully come away happy with a good performance.

Liskeard 2 v 4 Newquay AFC

Jake Hartigan free kick - Chrissy Luxton sublime chip - Liskeard corner, flicked on and headed in. 1-2 HT

Scott Palmer Penalty - Ash Bradshaw blockbuster in off the bar - soft second for the home side. 2-4 FT

Att about 40 (10 from Nqy - Combo side were at home)

A great game tonight, Newquay had the first half, for most of the second half I felt Liskeard were on top until maybe the last 15 or so. Both teams missed some glorious chances but overall six goals was a real treat.

Here are 5 of the 6 goals, my phone battery was dying towards the end so I missed Liskeards second:

Pl7DeZvIsyI

CYzZv2ViRo4

iyzQkRdc3FU

sKINIOQoh4k

8b60xpU2xXM

Firstly, thanks to Lee again for the videos of the game, it's always nice to revisit the game and see again the good and the bad in each game. I would also like to Thank Leigh and all at Liskeard for hosting last night's very enjoyable game. The pitch was in superb condition and the groundsman should be congratulated on producing such a great surface. Because of the rain and the great pitch both teams played some lovely football. Newquay went ahead when Jake Hartigan hit a left foot free kick from 20 yards into the bottom right hand corner.The livewire Chrissy Luxton increased Newquay's lead with a (as the Judge put it) sublime chip from the edge of the area. Liskeard reduced the deficit just before half time with a great training ground corner which was powerfully headed in. (Sorry I wasn't sure of the name of either Liskerad scorer). As Lee said Liskeard probably had more of the early part of the second half but Newquay showed some good defensive qualities at this time. Young Orrin Crowle, who impressed in consecutive games, was brought down in the area and Scott Palmer blasted home the spot kick. Arguably the best goal of the game came 15 minutes from the end when Ashley Bradshaw picked the ball up on the left just inside the opponents half he carried the ball forward , cut in and unleashed an unstoppable right foot (yes right foot) shot. Shortly before the end of the game the Liskerad forward capitalised on a rare defensive Newquay slip and the finish was again of the highest order as the player expertly lifeted the ball over the stranded Joe Crane in goal. Thanks also for the after game hospitality that was appreciated by all. I know Liskerad were missing one or two players last night and with those back I'm sure Leigh is looking forward to a good season this term. We at Newquay wish Liskeard a successful season.

A quick word about the ref last night. If this actually happened which was how it appeared to me, then well done. It looked like he was getting a bit of stick off one of the Liskeard players and rather than book him or send him off he asked for him to be subbed. As I say if thats what did happen then well done to the man in the middle for keeping his cards in his pocket and just getting on with the game.

I think Mr Paul forgot that Newquay were playing as he normally has a downer on us (or so it seems) but Liskeard players told him in no uncertain terms that he was always the same whenever he refs them. If it had been a SWPL match, then 3 players would have seen :SM_carton: so well done Mr Paul for reffing in a controlled manner, I'm sure that Mr Cooper appreciated it more than the Liskeard players at the time, no bans for the start of the season.

Thought I would add my point of view for what it's worth! Firstly, those of you that ever the doubt the Judges high opinion of his beloved Newquay side should think again. I have only seen them once recently but based on what I witnessed last night Jim has assembled a very, very good footballing side who want to play the game in the right way and certainly on the night they deserved their victory. If last nights performance was the 'norm' they would more than comfortably survive the rigours of the premier league.

As for the official? - My experience of pre-season friendly officiating has always been one of common sense. Being sent for a 5 minute breather when things go against you in a friendly is surely the sensible option, so I understood why a couple of my lads were frustrated at possibly having one 'iffy' penalty giving against them and then a few minutes later not getting one given in their favour. Just for everybody's information anybody (including myself!!!!) getting booked/sent off for dissent this season will be fined by the management team. We, just like everybody else I guess, just want officials to be be consistent in how they apply the rules this season.

As for our pitch? (thanks Jim) it is in superb condition and on behalf of both Liskeard's sides I would personally like to thank our Chairman, his groundsman and his committee for the tireless work they have put in throughout the close season to get Lux Park looking fantastic. We will try to repay you in the months ahead!!!

Finally to the Judge !!! Love reading your comments, don't always agree with them!!!!!!!! But share your 100% passion for the game and one thing you are definitely correct about is the quality of your home side.

Good luck to everybody connected with Newquay FC 2009/10!

Thank you for your kind words Leigh, much appreciated by all at Mount Wise.

Not sure you could call the game we played 'the norm', we had a central defender who hasn't kicked a ball for over a year (too busy getting Everton Dave his Breakfast Bap or surfing the cribbar), another defender who has returned to the Peppermints family after a spell with that lot on the South Coast and a further defender who has joined from Wendron. We also had another newbie in Glenn Rogers and a keeper who is more used to a cricket bat, so really the side we put out was a mixture of last season and a few who may make the breakthrough this season.

We have a good few youngsters who impressed late last season and another returning from injury hopefully in the not too distant future who will make a massive impression. We have a couple more lads lined up and once Robbo returns from yet another holiday, the Newquay 2009/10 squad will be one of the strongest we have known in over a decade. Jim and Lee have done a fantastic job for Newquay and everyone appreciates the hard work put in by all concerned to get us in this position, now is the time to take that one final step forward.

I have said before and will say again now, the Prem Div needs clubs like Newquay and hopefully, we will be seeing you all next season 2010/11. Once again, thanks Leigh and best wishes to all at Lux Park.

What a load of rubbish. You won against a respectable premier side. Your descriptions of your excuses are awful. I know your keeper personally and seems as though he played in the Southern League Division 1 last year, that's a great signing for you. He must be awesome at cricket, Straussy get him in!!

I'm sure Liskeard fans won't like the lack of respect you're showing them!

What a load of rubbish. You won against a respectable premier side. Your descriptions of your excuses are awful. I know your keeper personally and seems as though he played in the Southern League Division 1 last year, that's a great signing for you. He must be awesome at cricket, Straussy get him in!!

I'm sure Liskeard fans won't like the lack of respect you're showing them!

What on earth are you on about ? Excuses for what ? I merely pointed out that the team we had out was not our normal side ie; the one that ended last season and not our normal style of play, especially the first 20 mins in the 2nd half when the formation seemed a little strange. However, those that attended were very happy with the overall performance and of course the result. What hasn't be mentioned so far, is that we also hit the post twice in the first half and that Liskeard also put a header over the bar when it seemed easier to score, if it had ended 4-8 then no one would have been surprised.

Liskeards players were frustrated by the ref and it showed, nice to see they have the passion for the game and care for the club they play for... unfortunately, despite it being a mans game, you cannot express yourself verbally even if not directed at the ref. The keeper is better known as the opening batsman for Newquay 1sts although Joe has been a good keeper for NAFC in the past as a youngster. Thing about Newquay fans is, we support whoever puts the red/white shirt on regardless of who they are and welcome them into The Peppermints family with open arms.

Don't recall knocking Liskeard at all, perhaps you have been reading another thread by someone else on some other forum not related to football !