Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay AFC XI v PLYMOUTH PARKWAY ECPL

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Newquay had just two 1st team squad players (Scott Palmer & Joff Bunt) with 9 trialists, most of whom were under the age of 18, up against the Parkway ECPL side who did so well last season. The visitors even brought 4 fans with them, although It wasn't cold enough for the yellow/blue scarves they wore. It was those fans who were cheering after just 3 mins when the home defence allowed Parkway to play through and score.

Unfortunately, the young trialist keeper had to call it a day after just 15mins with a thigh injury, he was replaced by Lee Hawkey (1st team asst manager) between the sticks. It was Hawkey who will hold his hands up to the 2nd goal on the half hour, as a long ball forward was misjudged and the forward poked the ball round him to score. The trialists then got some passages of play together and forced the vistors back for the last 15mins, and perhaps should have gone in level.

I had to leave at half time but have been told that it ended 1-5 with Scott Palmer getting the Peppermints only goal, Parkway keeper also saved a penalty. Not too much to worry about at this stage as the SWPL & Combo boys don't start playing until next weekend. As for the trialists, some may make the Combo side but I think this match was more for the new 3rd team who will play Duchy football.

Final score Newquay XI 1 Parkway XI 5.

Newquays young team had 2 first team squad members in Joff and Scott Palmer included. Parkway were on top in the first half and led 2-0 at H/T. After the start of the second half Newquay had their best period of the match, with Scotty Palmer netting from a freekick. Scott then had a penalty saved brilliantly by the Parkway keeper who had a very strong hand to turn that blast round the post.

After that Parkway were on top again and scored 3 more to run out comfortable winners. Slightly mitigating circumstance was Newquay not having a recognised goalie for most of the match, however Parkway were on top for most of it.

From a Newquay perspective some encouraging performances from some of the young lads and one or two seemed to grow in stature as the game wore on. Ive no doubt that playing in a game like todays will help them immensely as they get used to it more.

Damn Judge you just beat me to it ;)

Just a little sign of what's to come from Parkway this season! Newquay may have had 2 Peninsula players in their side but you would have been forgiven for thinking it was Parkway who did

2 SWPL players and 9 others who had not even met each other a week or so ago. Parkway ECPL can't read anything into this match, I'm sure they will face tougher opponents in the next few weeks. We thank them for coming so far for a friendly.

Just a little sign of what's to come from Parkway this season! Newquay may have had 2 Peninsula players in their side but you would have been forgiven for thinking it was Parkway who did

Just playing devils advocate here, but did Parkway's team not have any players in it then who have featured in a South West Peninsula League squad?

I don't know any of the Parkway teams, so can't say if they played any SWPL Prem players or not but looking at those who were there, I doubt it very much.

Just playing devils advocate here, but did Parkway's team not have any players in it then who have featured in a South West Peninsula League squad?

All of parkways squad yesterday were made up of this season's ECPL side with a few trialists in. A couple of players did feature for the peninsula side last season when neded but were not regulars.

Big thanks to Newquay for hosting us and sorting a pitch out. Thanx for the hospitality back at the pub after as well. Wouldn't mind a crack at all of your first team next pre-season :)