Cornwall Football Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

noahc

defunct grounds

The three ferrets from st,ives not sure where they played will have to ask Charlie shields the next time he comes into work , years ago can remember playing for mouse hole ( amor shield) at the recreation ground the top off Paul hill newlyn

Nobby Lobb loved that bath. When we had the new changing rooms and showers built, he used to deliver coal and after work he would go to long rock to have a shower.
Mind you at Newlyn Coombe where Mousehole 3rds play, I see they had a problem with tall people getting under the shower so decided to make a hole for them to stand in! :P

Paul that was not all nobby got up to in the showers at longrock , that was probable why he got his nickname ha ha and what about Pete Crowley and his old style American pick up truck with a sette in the back for people to ride on , great days

in november 1981, mylor reverted back to their restronguet barton pitch. presumably from the playing field on waterings road by the river (?)

nancegollan's pitch in 1981/82 was described as sloping. is this drym road?

in 1982/83 ruan minor played games at praze gooth which was described as being
1/2 mile from their current ground. does that ring any bells with anyone?

I think Mylor have played football and cricket on the recreation ground in Waterings Road since 1981 but can recall playing on a farm field against Mylor back around the early-mid 70's.

Nancegollan's pitch is alongside Drym Road.

Prazeggoth Lane is on the South side of Cadgwith so about that distance away from their recent ground..

someone did tell me that the old nancegollan pitch was in the field behind the bungalow.

i would assume that the field in prazeggoth lane bears no sign of football being played there?

re j & f pool, did someone mention that they played on the field at the top of horsepool road near the turn off to trevaskis farm? (adjacent to angarrack lane)

re j & f pool, did someone mention that they played on the field at the top of horsepool road near the turn off to trevaskis farm? (adjacent to angarrack lane)

The pitch,as i recall,was just off this junction.When coming from the Camborne direction,one turns left towards Trevaskis Farm and the field with the pitch in was on the left.

in the 1980s it was reported that the locally reknown budock boys club were to fold as their pitch at the glebe was too small. is this a pitch in budock or did they use penryn's glebe?

what was the football lifespan of the glebe at love lane in penryn?

Before moving to the Mill Torpoint Athletic played on the pitch (not sure of its name) on the way out of Torpoint now used by St Columb and Torpoint rugby union club.

ECPL almost correct Torpoint Athletic played at The Mill in the early sixties and before renting the ground from Torpoint Urban District Council.

When the lease was up for renewal the Rugby Team got to play at The Mill and Torpoint played at Defiance Field - so they switched location both renting from TUDC - however when the lease came up for renewal TAFC had set up a fund raiser known as the 200 club and bought The Mill - thus the rugby club returned to Defiance Field where they still play to day.

The Mill being reclaimed land has also been used for cycle speedway by Torpoint Flyers in the forties, tennis and training for car racing.

So Defiance Field became the home of TAFC for a few years before it they returned to their roots and was bought by the club

I need to check but I think from 1965 to 1969. There are a number of photos in the club house that show the pavilions they used to use to change - though one photo most people think was at Defiance Field was actually at Truro and shows ten players with John Bolton missing as he was still in the changing room.

In those days Torpoint had no club house and went back to the East Cornwall Pub in Fore Street now called the Trott Inn

A few years back they found the receipts from a FA Amateur Cup game - entrance was 3d I think and the gate was over £72 - must have been one large crowd watching behind ropes and no floodlights :0)

Barters your link brought back some memories for me. As a young boy of under ten years old I remember watching Torpoint play at Defiance.They had some good players back then including Barry Stephens.Lou Deardon Johnny Bolton.George Preece and were managed by Les Cardew

Falmouth Docks had 2 'defunct' grounds. There was the Docks Sports Ground, which was a fantastic facility located where the Business Park now is (junction of Mongleath & Bickland Water Roads) which, I think, was sold off late 60's/early 70's. Docks then moved further down Bickland Water Road to Leggo Park which was a bit 'ramshackle' to say the least but it enabled the team(s) to keep going.

torpoint moved to mill field in 1971 when st columba's lease ran out.

falmouth docks sports ground closed in 1972 out of the blue due to strikes and industrial action. people thought it would be a temporary measure but sadly it wasn't the case. a local farmer allowed the docks to lease a field which became leggo park. it meant volunteers working almost around the clock to get it up to combo standard, some starting at 5am but unfortunately by this time falmouth docks were only that in name. the links with the biggest employer in town had gone and the club folded. bickland industrial estate sits upon what was the docks second ground. being just up the road could these two grounds be the closest senior grounds in cornwall?

in 1970/71 perranporth played at cligga and gerrans played at parc an dillon.

You need a photo host like photobucket. When you've done that you can load your piccies onto their site.

Once you've done that you can click onto your pictures to enlarge them, then click onto direct and it will copy, its now ready to place on the forum. Minimize the picture.

Go to the football forum and go to post, on the post section you will see an image icon, click on, a box will appear, you are now ready to post the image, press and hold the Ctrl key, now press the v key. A series of numbers, letters etc will appear in the window, you've done it !

It sounds quite complicated, it isn't, just needs a bit of messing around until you crack the code so to speak. Pm me if your stuck, but I'm only ever on the laptop in the evenings. Happy photo whoring as they say.

It was Camborne Town who most recently used the old Heathcoats ground in the early 2000s, I don't believe there's been any others since

redruth dynamo did once play at strawberry lane.

This is either the pitch above Redruth Rugby Club, or on the rugby field behind Pengover Parc

Redborne United played at Higher Trewirgie

Tools & Dies played at Park Road, as did Pengegon who on 30/12/67 had to switch a Junior Cup game with Ponsanooth to Trevu Road