Cornwall Football Forum

Grampound 1 Godolphin 2 - Vets Cup semi final

I am writing this short report this early in the morning as my right bum muscle is killing me after today's game. My massive contribution to the game was to tear my right bum muscle after all of five seconds. I struggled on for another 25 minutes in which time my other contribution was to set up Steve Ridd for our opponents to take the lead with a 25 yard shot. The G had the wind in their favour in the first half but didn't use it to their advantage and they only had a couple of long range efforts and some in swinging corners to show for their efforts. In fact Grampound played the better of the two teams in the first half without creating too many opportunities. Step up manager Alan Metters with a stirring half time team talk and a change of personnel and formation which changed the game. The Godolphin players got the ball down in the second half and controlled the game for large parts. A long throw was allowed to bounce in the area and **** Turner was sanwiched between 2 defenders and bundled over for a penalty. Alan Lenton stepped up to convert the resultant spot kick. Then as penalties were looming with 5 minutes to go James Nettleton turned inside and nut megged his defensive marker and from deep hit a pin point cross to the far post where the predatory Lenton headed back past the keeper and inside the far post. Grampound threw everything at the G's defence but some good and sometimes desperate defending saw the G vets reach their second final. Well done to all the players and the management team. Metts stand up and take a bow for your inspiration at half time.