Cornwall Football Forum

Season 09/10

Guest pete norfolk

Guest pete norfolk

Now that the season is over for this year, its time to start looking towards nxt yr.

Don't no wat ppl think, but most of my club would like more games nxt yr as season only bout 5 months long and only 12 league games last yr for both leagues

Are all the teams still playing nxt yr or are some dropping out? Are more applying?

Should it just be one big league of 16 and have more league games and less cup games?

Anyone else any opinions?

Guest Postie Pidge

If the league is small like it was this season then play home and away then play the teams again but (luck of the draw) some home and away so you play teams 3 times.

Cup games home and away.

Guest pete norfolk

cup games was used oncewith 2 legs and did give lot more games.

3 games could be a good idea. maybe a split if 8 teams like in spl where you play the teams in ur half both home and away

Guest stealth

IN DIV 1 I THINK WITH THERE BEING ONLY 12 TEAMS. IT WOULD BE BETTER PLAYING HOME AND AWAY IN THE CUP GAMES FOR THE DIV 1 CUP AND ALSO IN THE CUP FOR WHICH BOTH LEAGUES CONTEST. AS WITH THERE BEING ONLY 12 LEAGUE GAMES I FIND IT A JOKE THAT EVERY PLAYER SIGNED BY A CLUB IN DIV1 HAS TO PLAY 5 LEAGUE GAMES OR CUP GAMES TO BE ABLE TO PLAY IN ANY SEMI FINAL. DOES ANYONE THINK THAT IT SHOULD BE ANY PLAYER THAT HAS SIGNED FOR THE CLUB BEFORE A CERTAIN DATE IS ELIGABLE TO PLAY IN THE SEMI OR FINAL? :ninja:

The maximum that can reasonably be used if games are to be limited to Sunday, has been found to be 10 in Division 1 and 12 in Division 2. (Div 1 teams tend to have better cup runs and seem to fail to play games so regularly)

This last season, in the West, we lost a club before christmas which was a shame.

If we can pick up several new clubs this season, it would be great.

I've advertised on the forum, asking any interested clubs to contact me and offering help if anyone wished to start up a new club (Financial, kit - even a pitch, and advice is on offer). So far we have one definite new club and one enquiry that seems to have disappeared. We have rumours of one club not continuing next season.

I think that the two leg cup games are a good idea. It's a little disheartening, however, if you're 6 or 7 goals down from the first leg!

The cup rule for five games to qualify was set up when we had 10 or so teams in each division and does need a look at. It just about worked this season. the aim was to prevent pot hunters joining to get a medal once the hard work had been done. A cut off date may be sensible but I can't think when that date should be. Christmas? End of January?

better cup runs in div 1 (g.w.r.s.a) played 2 games in the division 1 cup qf and semi some cup run a :ninja::ninja::ninja:

The word was "tend"!

With 22 clubs there is potentially 5 rounds in the League Cup, 4 in the div cup and then, of course there's the County Cup, which could be 6 games.

So a top Div 1 team that got to the final could have to play 18 League games and 15 cup games.

33 games and lose a couple for Christmas.

Start Sept 1st and count forward 35 weeks and you're into May- with no cancellations. It's just maths.

Of course, if you're a crap div 1 side, you won't get many cup games.

Instead of playing 5 games to play a semi final or final why not say 50% of the league or cup games prior to the semi or final. This will stop medal hunters and if a side has had a lot of postponements then will still be able to use their full squad.

What Falmouth based teams are thee for Sunday League?? Any contact details would be appreciated.

Guest Rich Ward

Whitney, why not look into setting up yr own team mate, you must know loads of people who would play.

Question to Bill, is it true that if a player played div 1 this season then he is unable to drop down to div 2 next season? If this ruling is true, that could also cause problems with potential player interest.

Rich, almost true. Not quite.

"A player who has played for a team in any Division 5 times or more shall not in that season, or the following season, be elligible to play in a lower division, except by permission of the Management Committee (My Italics) (Relegated teams excepted). Players in a promoted team shall, in the following season be deemed to have been a member of the higher division as far as this rule is concerned."

This is an extremely sensible rule. It stops players abandoning their team to play at a lower level to win pots. We used to have the horrible scenario of whole teams moving to Div 2 so that they could have an easy time. Some poor sod trying to run the Div 1 side was stuck with no players.

The let out "except by permission of the Committee." is also sensible. It allows for genuine exceptions and is used. There's no problem with the odd player who's in the wrong division. But I don't think it's reasonable for groups of players (and that 's what was happening - 6 or 7 mates all moving together) to drop down a division to win pots, score shedloads of goals as well as screwing up their old club.

It's actually one of the better rules of the WCSFL and rarely creates significant problems as there's always the "let out".

and u wonder why u havnt got enough teams with stupid rules like this 1 in place , am i right in presuming that if youve played senior football this season but are going 2 play junior football next season u cant play in the sunday league next season .

and u wonder why u havnt got enough teams with stupid rules like this 1 in place , am i right in presuming that if youve played senior football this season but are going 2 play junior football next season u cant play in the sunday league next season .

No, unsurprisingly, you are wrong.

Would you like to outline the objections to the "stupid rules". Then, maybe the clubs can consider changing their rules for season 2011-2012.

the rules are in place for a reason and are very good. sunday league should be played as sunday league for the reasons it was set up. we all play to win but at the end of the day, if u r that serious a player then u have ur saturdays and if u r any good u can go and play division 1 anyway. As for senior players, if i remember rightly 2 used to be allowed but lets be honest, whats the point. If someone plays at that level on a saturday you arent going to get much out of a game of sunday football

So was I Richie!

To add to an earlier response, the West Cornwall League used to allow 2 senior players per team. It certainly was a good way of raising standards and it gave players like me a chance to see how I got on marking playersd like Rappo. (I once outscored him while marking him. 2 own goals against his one goal)

Then, County actually read the rules that the League submitted each year and declared it contrary to the County's senior player rule. (In my opinion that makes it likely to be a good thing) They insisted it was removed.

In hindsight, I think that they were right. (I can't believe I said that!)

Over here at the Cornwall Sunday Football League we are unsure what is happening next season with news that @ least 2 teams are looking to withdraw. One is hoping to move into Saturday football, the other possibly resigning over the issue of senior status players, they want to play them and have proposed a rule change to the league, the other clubs appear to be against such changes. If our league folded how would the Sunday teams from the Nalders league feel about a St Austell based side entering their league?

The club in question should understand that the use of senior players will not be allowed by the County Rules. As you may realise, County Rules are not negotiable.

Maybe then they'll accept the situation.

I, and my club would have no problem with the odd trip as far as St Austell but I can't speak for the whole League.

If you were to apply to join, it would be, as for any new club, up to the existing members to decide whether to accept you.

which teams are rumoured to be dropping out ? Any news on the tms

Duke of Cornwall to play Saturday football though several players are keen to remain a Sunday team as well with possibly a different manager, Luxulyan resigning due to the Senior player rule. I'm not really sure what's happening with our league, we lost Newquay G half way through the season leaving just 9 teams. On a positive side this is the first season in a long time where there hasn't been points adjusted due to teams being penalised for rule infringements.

One thing I would like to see is a cup competition brought in for teams playing in our league and the Nalders league. The Sunday cup offers similar opportunities but A) there are teams entering who play in neither league and B) teams from our respective leagues seem to be kept apart in the earlier rounds. In the 16 years I have been playing we've played Truro GWRSA twice in the Sunday cup (1 victory apiece). Every other time we've drawn teams from our league our outside representatives.