Cornwall Football Forum

Pitch Inspections

Guest Alex Haste

Guest Alex Haste

Are Pitch inspections done to early sometimes???

Really looking forward to a much anticipated game at Blazey today unfortunataly cancelled, looking outside the ground has returned to normal.

What is the latest a pitch inspection can be done by??? and with Pitches like St Blazey can kick off times be slightly suspended til a later time on the same day allowing more time for pitches to thaw!!!!!!

hi alex, the problem is that although the frost has gone off the top of the pitches about an inch down because they have been frozen for 7 or 8 days it is still rock hard underneath the surface and won't take a stud. I know alot of refs use a golf tee and if it goes into the ground easily then the games on. You have to take into account players safety, i remember many years back playing at Gravesend when the players forced the ref to start the game in the hope of it defrosting as the game went on and within 5 minutes a player slipped and his shoulderblade ended up near the top of his head.

It also a case of trying to let the opposition know as early as possible so as to save them a wasted journey.

I have just walked across Perranporths pitch and couldn't even dig my heel in........