Cornwall Football Forum

Early Game Cancellations?

After a few unhappy players last week travelling only to find the games off bcos of frozen pitches, i wonder if any sensible decisions may be made this week with early pitch inspections, maybe as early as friday night being made? i know we want to give it as much time as possible but with the extreme freezing conditions over the last week, grounds are frozen solid and deep

out working this morning, i walked across 2 large grass areas, neither of which had any frost on at all , yet i nearly twisted an ankle as the ground is like rock underneath still and very dangerous

forecast says thursday and friday night temperatures will be below freezing again, i cant see many pitches softening up enough if thats the case, if a pitch is deemed to hard and unsafe friday night, it surely makes sence that if the temp is going to be below freezing over night that it wont be any better on saturday

i know the St Austell lads were unhappy travelling to callington last week and havin the game called off last minute etc by what i have read on here, well us at Wendron are travelling to St Austell this saturday to play, so we probably dont want a repeat performance of what happened to the St Austell lads at Callington last week!

none of us want games cancelled but i think officials and club members may have to access the ground situations on friday evening maybe this week? Just a thought!

Guest Peppermint

In reply to Jamo's posting - I note on the CSWPL Forum - Postponment section Phil Hiscox has stated that no games can be sanctioned to be called off until Saturday morning at the earliest.

I agree that the grass is very frozen at the moment and I am sure a lot of games will be called off.

thanks for that info Peppermint! Had a feelin that would be the case but good to get it clarified officially, hopefully if weather doesnt improve though , that they will inspect the pitches in good time on sat morning.

Bearing in mind what the official line is on games not being able to be cancelled until saturday morning then on the official website, am i not right in saying that Wadebridge called there game off last week the day before they were due to play as the pitch was frozen and didnt have to obviously wait until the morning of the game?

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Weatherman says a thaw coming Sat Morning so no need to be downhearted, there should be plenty of games on this weekend.

NEWQUAY AFC v Penryn Athletic - Mount Wise 3.00pm, can't see any reason for this one to be off.

Guest Peppermint

Phil Hiscox did advise clubs to make early inspections on Saturday morning in order to give travelling clubs plenty of notice to avoid any unnecessary travelling for players, officials and supporters.

I think Jamo, the Wadebridge Town v Saltash United league cup clash last week was called off a day early because of the evening kick off in midweek and the short space of time to stop people travelling - but I am only guessing that is the reason.

Phil Hiscox did advise clubs to make early inspections on Saturday morning in order to give travelling clubs plenty of notice to avoid any unnecessary travelling for players, officials and supporters.

I think Jamo, the Wadebridge Town v Saltash United league cup clash last week was called off a day early because of the evening kick off in midweek and the short space of time to stop people travelling - but I am only guessing that is the reason.

peppermint,i was up at six last sat,to travel to london with truro,we got there at1 pm,unloaded all the kit only to be told it was just called off,the stand shadow covered 1/4 of the surface,and they said they hoped that the sun would melt the surface,what a load of dribble ,they new we had a 240 mile journy so why didnt they have a look a lot early,i know there all come from judges area but you think one of them would have a brain ,turn right around and back again,worst judgement i have seen in 40 odd yrs :angry:

Guest Peppermint

It is bad enough to travel fifty miles only to be told the game is off - that is absolutely crazy. Surely someone with half a brain could have used some common sense and saved Truro City that long journey - doubly bad when you know you have to do the trip again later in the season.