Cornwall Football Forum

New Management Team at Vospers?... Again?

Guest thebigfella

Guest thebigfella

Anyone know what's going on at Vospers? Heard rumours over Christmas that Darren Potter and Lee Russell are taking over the reigns next week. Anyone confirm, deny or add to the speculation?

I would imagine they could attract quite a few of the old Tamarside squad to Vospers. Maybe not immediately, but certainly next season.

Potter did really well with Tamarside's ECPL side both alongside John Roseveare, and after he left. Russell had some success at P&D Premier level with Ivybridge (??) and one or two other clubs, and helped Potter at Tamarside at the end of their final season. But he tended to jump ship every season, taking players with him. Could be a decent No 2, for Potter who I think deserves a chance at a higher level. The break after leaving Tamarside may have recharged the batteries.

What would Pete Charlick and his team think of this? If it's true, he's hardly been given a fair crack at it has he? Mind you, not a great deal has changed.

Ha Ha the rumour mill starts up again!!!! Sounds like Lee "Monty" Russell has been banding his own name around AGAIN. Granted he would probably be able to get quite a few players to follow him and Darren Potter to the club if they were to take over. But, and its a big BUT.... Pete Charlick is the manager and to be fair he's not doing that bad really. He has had to bring in a completely new squad and try to attract players to a club rooted to the bottom of the league. A first win last week against Plymstock, with third from bottom Wendron due in Plymouth tomorrow. So lets see shall we bigfella!! Can't see it happening.... at least not this season anyway!!!

I would say that the commitee at Vospers are in a very awkward position. The league tables don't lie and Vospers have been a poor side throughout this current season. It would be disastrious for them to be relegated as i think they wouldnt meet the criteria set by the league to rejoin the league. Charlick has improved the side slightly but it's always going to be difficult attracting players halfway through the season and to a poor team. On the otherhand Darren Potter has lots of contacts and would be able to again improve the side. Is it worth the gamble of dismissing Charlick????????

The commitee at Vospers are in no more of an awkward position now than they were when the previous manager was in charge. Infact the team are 4 points better off and with a much stronger squad going into 2009. Lets not forget Jannerlad that only one team go down from this league and unless the big guns at the league change their minds then Goonhavern will be classed as that team. Darren Potter does indeed have a good track record at Tamarside but the Vospers manager's job belongs to Pete Charlick. Good luck to him. He's certainly doing a better job than the previous one.

Guest thebigfella

I agree. Very harsh on Pete if they do bring in Potter and Russell. However, they're still not very good and they need to attract some players now, before it's too late. Can Charlick do that?

Guest The Old Man

Bigfella, I agree with you ..... Charlick has attracted a few players better than the previous manager had in his squad. Potter and Russell both have loads of players that would join them for the challenge.

Its a no brainer for the Vospers Committee!!!!....However, Vospers probably won't have the fortitude to make the change....real pity though!!

Guest Wilfred

i think that charlick is doing a good job down there, attracting some good faces in demo and austin beeney. hopefully they will keep picking up points, along with the other struggling plymouth based teams

Guest The Old Man

Wilfred, Demo is one of Darren Potter's successful Tamarside squad and Austen Beeney has often turned out for Lee Russell's sides so I'm sure they would both be more than happy if Potter and Russell took over.

Pete Charlick has been slowly and quietly signing players of a higher standard for the past few weeks now and is certainly not about to be replaced as manager. Its hard to attract players to a team so far adrift at the bottom so the guy should be applauded. Most of these players are coming from higher placed clubs so its probably only a matter of time before they start to climb the league. Its just a pity its started so late in the season!!

John the Baptist.... I very much look forward to playing you boys on Sat and to see what type of squad your developing down there.

I agree i have heard a few rumours that slowley you as a team are making good progress on your developing sqaud, and the manager is doing all he can.

I agree it is a frustrating time for Vospers who actually have had a shuffle or staff and players more than i can recall this season and the discussion of new managment will always be around when a team are not doing great.

I hope Vospers dig them selves out of the bottom (not starting sat though) as they are a club who eed to be in the league next season.

Guest philglossop

Have a check on the SWPL website, I think you'll find that as Goonhavern have officially finished bottom of the league this season already (rules are rules :D ), there will be no relegation from the West Division this season.

Guest philglossop

Think about it. Currently only 1 vacancy due to loss of Goonhavern, plus possible promotion up to Premier by one of the top teams. This leaves 2 places to be filled. Plus, Plymstock could be moved back across to Eastern section if no teams have the grounds for promotion, plus there's another gap in the East due to the withdrawal of Newton Abbot.

Confused? Thats why the league has a damn good secretary!!! :clapper::clapper::clapper:

So don't panic, I'll think you'll see Perranporth come up and the bottom team surviving.

Just don't factor Barnstaple Town coming in from Western Premier. It could get very confusing!!!! :lol::lol: :lol:

i think that the team that have come in at vospers at the moment have done an incredible job.

was linesman down there today, i couldnt have met any other decent set of managers and coaches as vospers. they appreciated everything the officials did and talking about the team, they have improved a mega lot. they are so organised now. im not criticising the defence for letting too many goals in as 2-1 against callington proved, but an experienced signing would help them.

at one point in the game vospers could have caused an upset but beeney hit the post. he was unlucky as all game he was a good threat to callington. well done to the guys at vospers and if they perform like today for rest of the season they could well still stay up

Only saw first half yesterday. How Callington didn't go into half time leading by at least 5/6 goals is beyond me. Poor old Jones up front scored the first half goal but had four more similarly easy chances to score although the Vospers goalkeeper was superb. Vospers looked very, very poor but who knows a bit of stability and a couple of decent players at the back and things could change.

Only saw first half yesterday. How Callington didn't go into half time leading by at least 5/6 goals is beyond me. Poor old Jones up front scored the first half goal but had four more similarly easy chances to score although the Vospers goalkeeper was superb. Vospers looked very, very poor but who knows a bit of stability and a couple of decent players at the back and things could change.

if our squad put all the chances created away then our goal difference would be huge. but then again, as someone stated good management need wins and a win is what we got, even thought it was only 2-1 it could have been 6-4.

we average about 2 goals a game, but our strikers are starting to pick up the goals so keep it going lads.

Every body watching the game on Sat would have seen that the game should have been done and dusted wat beofre Vospers even had a shot on goal. However the goals did not come and Vospers to be fair showed beter spirit and character in the second half, and with Cally missing chance after chance it was always going to be a touch and go scenario who would take the points in the second half.

Vospers goal keeper was superb and to his credit he really made the difference, how ever a fluke deflected shot made vospers equalise and then Vospers missing a penelty meant it wasnt going to be Vospers day.

Cally scoring the winner with minutes to go reflected a fair result in my eyes due to the fact Cally dominated for majority of the game.

I think Vopsers are creating a good team and witha little more support i will not be suprised to see them take points of sides.

Cally Mike do you feel that another striker would have scored the chances?? HAHA

i feel that the management at vospers are slowly managing to turn it around. they've made alot of new signings in recent weeks, the Daw Bros, Gill, Powley, tremayne etc and a few players have been away in recent weeks. and having already made good signings in Beeny and demo, it takes time to blend a team together. i feel a true test of the management can be made in a month or so's time when the side have settled abit. then we can see how the team is progressing. but it will all take time!!

Guest tamarside fc fan

Ive been and watched oak villa play a few times this season just feel there is a great deal missing there weather its the players or management not being good enough or maybe its behind the scenes as in the board not having a great ambition.Ive heard that Mr John Cooper is stepping down at the end of the season what a shame if this is true? he has put alot of time into vospers he is a good man.

that would be a shame if john cooper stepped down, played down vospers last year for a bit. what a guy he is he worked so hard within that club to get it back to club it used to be....havin played against them saturday i would say that they are a good hard workin side. to be fair to them they were unlucky not to beat us after the penalty was given especially havin had a player sent off. but as they say if u dont take ur chances...u dont win games.....i could have been sayin that about us if it wasnt for a last gasp winner.. their defence was a bit on the slow side ... so maybe should think about playin a sweeper or just not play too high up the park as we caught them cold countless numbers of times only for their lino to give offside so many times it was unbelievable......not gonna go on about it now as the game is over n we won...... If only that linesman was as good to me when i was down there!!! but pete charlick and craig wassell seem to be doin a good job down there, things r lookin up so keep up the good work lads

Guest tamarside fc fan

Craig Wassall good man played footy with him many times,but i think he would be the first to admit there is alot of quality missing down there.Really think someone needs to make a decision about the future of vospers football club,lets get the club back to its early years when the club was up there with the best of them,ive spoken to Darren Potter he is very interested in vospers,he would love the chance and the challenge to get vospers out of there current predicament,someone just be brave and make the right decision. :clapper:

What difference would potter bring though? new players? well new players are coming in and it takes time to gel, i agree with jafs about the slow defence but therefore it's a tactical issue that needs to be adressed rather then personel surely. and it surely is because half of the defence is new so they need to organise themselves and that takes time. end of march then we'll see where they are i feel

Guest thebigfella

Seems to me that Vospers will (and probably quite rightly) stick with Pete Charlick and Craig Wassall for the remainder of the season. With seemingly no relegation from this division then I guess they have nothing to lose on that score in allowing them both the time to do the job.

Going back to Darren Potter, and tamarsidefcfan's comments, I too would love to see Potter back in management. He oozes enthusiasm, has a good understanding the game, and his teams always played a good mixture of attractive and determined football. However I really don't see Lee Russell as his ideal Number 2. Potter would do well to find someone with a little more 'tact' and loyalty, not to mentioned a number of other basic attributes! Maybe a return to the Potter/Roseveare combo might be a better choice, or even someone like Sean Cornish, or even Charlick and Wassall under him?

Whatever happens, good luck to Peter and Craig for the rest of the season... Tamarsidefcfan, I'm looking forward to all those ex-Tamarside players flooding back to play for Pottsy when he returns!! Personally, I think that a handful would, but not all... We'll see though eh?

I think Potter will definately get back in some capacity next season. Currently, I would say Vospers, Millbrook, Elburton and Saltash are the favourite destinations.

Guest tamarside fc fan

I spoke to Darren Potter last night he is so keen to get down vospers,dont think Lee Russell will be on the seen alot as he is working away,hes been just helping pottsy get in the door,Glynn Davies (Ben Davies dad) is interested in helping pottsy,not sure how there going to work it i think pottsy will be in charge,Davies and Russell will be there to help and support him,"what a good trio that would make".

People keep talking about the vospers players need time to gel,but the season will be over soon then what will people say,he still needs more time.It wouldnt take long for pottsys players to gel as they have played together for four years.

If the vospers management are struggling now to get a good side together,how are they going to get a good side next season when they finish in the bottom four,everybody knows in football there are allways players who follow the same manager where ever he goes,i know this is the same for pottsy and his players where he goes they will follow.

Guest tamarside fc fan

Pottsy not about that if the players are good enough and can play the way he needs them to,then of course he will keep them.How many managers do you know take over a side and keep the same side,it dosent happen,its not just a manager that makes a good side its the players as well,Pottsy is allways looking for good players to improve any side if he didnt he wouldnt be a good manager.

Guest tamarside fc fan

I have heard joe scott is stepping down as manager and joining the board.

Dont know if pottsy is interested,but dont think it would be a bad move for him.

I've read the posts on this thread with interest over the past week or so, and what strikes me is that the success of a manager seems to be measured by the players he is able to bring in (or the size of a budget he may have).....not neccessarily the quality of his training sessions, tactical nous, or ability to analyse a game and therefore make appropriate changes to both individual and team performances.

I'm sure many people may think that this is simply how things are done at this level of football, but I hope I'm not alone in thinking that this is a little worrying? I'm sure we all want to see standards across the board improve. Better facilities can lead to better coaching, can lead to better players, can lead to better performances, can lead to increased exposure, can lead to increased finance, can lead to better facilities etc etc, and so the cycle continues. Surely this is a far more sensible, and more sustainable way of running a football club at this level. Just look at the number of clubs who have tasted success at this level, and then lost it as the manager takes his wedge, and therefore his players with him to another club.

From my understanding, Vospers are working very hard to get the basics right. Inevitably this can take a long time, and in the short term, results can suffer. Any club with a thriving junior section, a dedicated committee with a long term aim rather than just looking at the next season, and an enthusiastic coaching team will one day get it right, and the club will be all the better for it. Its in times like these that developing a football club over the long term would seem to be a sensible way to go about your business. Changing the 1st team manager in the short term could affect the achievement of these goals with a different way of working, different ethos etc.