Cornwall Football Forum

ST Stephens Boro 4-2 Callington Town

Having read alot of the stuff on here about the plastic pitch at the saltmill it did provide a couple of things- a game of football on saturday after terrible weather, a match for a large local crowd to watch and also a decent game of football played by both teams.

The only thing I saw dodgy was not the pitch, but the lino!!!!!!!

Fair play to boro, a decent side

Guest Frank le tank

haha sue i lino will be chuft with those comments! Thought our free kick and your 2nd goal should never have been given though. Blatent offside even if there was a deflection, and people said your keeper didn't handle it outside the area. Not a bad Free kick though!

The lino didn't give the free kick given away by the goalkeeper for carrying the ball outside the penalty area it was the referee.

Personally I thought the referee was spot on. The keeper had already been given a warning for the same offence so he knew what was coming. And what a great free kick.

Question for the referees. What cnstitutes hand ball by the goalkeeper outside the penalty area. Fans seem to be confused about where the ball is at the time of the incident. So the definitive reply should help everyone.

Scenario

1 The goalkeeper steps outside the penalty area with ball in hand before clearing the ball up the park.

2. The goalkeeper is inside the penalty area with ball in hand but then steps outside having already tossed the ball into the air from inside before clearing the ball.

3. The goalkeeper is inside the penalty area with ball in hand but then steps outside before tossing the ball into the air before clearing.

The question is THE BALL and its position at the time.

I think that after the ref had been tipped off at half time about Jamie getting close to outside of the area on his kicks at half time, it was only a matter of time before he pulled him up on it. However, Im not so sure that the ref could see from the centre circle on that particular kick that he was marginally outside. But, like you say, he had been warned about it previously, so should have been a little more cautious. In answer to the scenarios you posted, I'd guess that 1 and 3 are handball.

I think the linesman was being a bit twitchy with the flag in the first half, especially when he ruled out a seemingly legitimate goal of ours in the first 10 minutes. Having spoken to people stood opposite the home linesman, they were all pretty sure that it was not offside. But hey, its a hard job running the line and often home linesman do get pressured by their team to flag for anything where there is any doubt.

With reference to the result on Saturday, full credit to St Stephens Borough, they are a very good footballing side. We had a strong team out on Saturday, and maybe deserved something out of the game, but they did take their chances very well. The lad Fadida that came on for them at half time looked like a quality addition to an already strong side.

I also thought the pitch was really good, and can't see what all the fuss is about. With the adverse weather we had on Friday night, I dont think there would be many pitches across the region that could have so suitably hosted a quick tempo game like the one that was played on it this Saturday.