Cornwall Football Forum

WHAT WAS THE STRANGEST MATCH YOU HAVE PLAYED OR OFFICIATED IN

WHAT WAS THE STRANGEST MATCH YOU HAVE PLAYED OR OFFICATED IN

I am not sure if I this has been used before

I have a couple that springs to mind.

The first was in Belize when I refereed a match between San Ignacio (who were the Belize national champions) and the 1st Battalion Royal Regiment of Wales in San Ignacio.

We hadn't been in Belize long so were not quite acclimatized. The first half was nearly all one way traffic with the RRW leading 4-0 at half time. The second half was just the same until about 20 minutes to go when the soldiers started to tire and quickly. San Ignacio never stepped up the pace but scored 8 goals to win 8-4. A lesson in acclimatization I think.

The second was also in the services. We were stationed in Northern Ireland and the regiment I was playing for was playing a local Irish side. The first half was 0-0 when suddenly this truck load of squadies turned up with their weapons and the officer in charge ordered us off the pitch as it was directly in line with the firing range. We couldn't believe it so we had to sit around for nearly an hour watching their target practice before we could continue the game.