Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay 4 Callington 2 Charity Cup First Ronund A>E>T>

A really good game of football that either side could have won. Newquay took an early lead with another unstoppable Scott Palmer freekick. There was a contentious issue half way through the half when Palmer broke through and what appeared to be a last ditch tackle from the defender was adjudged to have been illegal. There was no other defender between Palmer and the goalkeeper but only a free kick was awarded. In my opinion it wasn't a foul so perhaps justice was done but the letter of the law certainly was not followed. Callington equalised just before half time whn McClements went on a mazy run and poor defending by the home team allowed him to shoot past Matt Armstrong-Ford who was given a start in goal for the Peppermints. Callington started the second half brightly and Armstrong-Ford dropped a free kick that bounced awkawardly in front of him and was adjudged to have fouled the Callington forward following up. Mike Norman scored from the resultant spot kick. Newquay showed great character and the impressive Paul Hampshire equalised with a right foot shot following good work down the left from Ashley Bradshw and Luke Weldhen. The game flowed from end to end but the game produced no further goals in the initial 90 minutes. In the first period of extra time the returning Sean Middleton headed in at the near post after a Bradshw cross hung up in the wind. In the second period a sparkling move down the left saw Middleton shoot over from 6 yards after a great cross from Hampshire. Bradshaw capped a fine individual performance when he dribbled past a couple of defenders to coolly finish. Callington played a real part in this game and were missing a number of regulars. They will certainly have a big say in who wins the League this season.

Jimbo.... Great report and i agree with everyting you have said, i think its important to comment on what you have wrote just becuse there are so many one sided reports on this forum and credit needs to go to those who write a report that people can read and enjoy.

Look forward to the next one.

Guest Peppermint

I agree with the report Jim - it could have gone either way. Both sides contributed to an excellent end to end cup tie that had everything including extra time.

Newquay and Callington Town can both take credit for providing some good football and serving up a great cup tie.

Good luck to Callington for the rest of the season - it was some revenge for the beating they handed out to the Peppermints at Mount Wise earlier in the season.