Cornwall Football Forum

Official Statement

It is with regret that Truro City FC can confirm that the club and Kevin Wills have this week agreed to mutually terminate the midfielder’s contract. Wills has been offered a fantastic career opportunity which would make the increased travelling extremely hard, especially given his Torbay location and his young family. Thus both he and the club have come to the difficult decision that he will leave the club after tonight’s game against Crystal Palace.

Wills joined the club when Steve Massey was in charge in December 2005, making his league debut at home to Newquay in a 6-1 Senior Cup win. He went on to be a key figure in the club gaining promotion scoring 6 goals in 23 appearances and also obtaining his only red card of his Truro career, harshly given his marching orders in the teams 4-1 Senior Cup Final win against Bodmin. Wills trademark jinking and turning in the box also earnt the side perhaps their most important penalty of the past few years when he was brought tumbling down in the final league game of the season at Tavistock with City needing a win and trailing 1-0. Andy Bowker converted it before Glyn Hooper’s header ensured City’s place in the Toolstation Western League as runners up.

However, it was the 2006/07 season which was to see Wills etch himself into City folklore. The midfielder - who even had his own position now in the 'Willsy role' - racked up a fantastic 52 appearances and by the end of the league season had also weighed in with 12 goals which helped secure him the coveted Players Player of the Year award. However, he wasn't quite done there and on May 13th at Wembley Stadium, Wills netted at both ends of the famous ground to take his tally to 14 and help City become FA Vase champions in front of a record 36,232 crowd.

Last season Wills helped City to another title, scoring 7 goals in 36 appearances to take him on to 27 goals in 123 appearances for the club.

Director of Football Chris Webb told trurocityfc.co.uk, "We are absolutely devastated to have to let Kevin go. Both myself and Kevin Heaney have sat down with Kevin (Wills) and had a chat with him, and we completely understand the reasons he needs to leave. Kevin has been a fantastic servant for the club, on and off the pitch, and we wish him all the best in his future career. He will certainly always be welcome back at Treyew Road.

"I would like to assure fans that Kevin's departure is a one off, and that we did everything in our power to keep him. We will most certainly not be seeing any of our other contracted players leaving, but given Kevin's circumstances we did not want to stand in the way of him furthering himself."

Kevin himself spoke to trurocityfc.co.uk last night, thanking everyone at the club for making it such an enjoyable few years.

"I have loved my time at Truro, and it was no easy decision to leave but I have to think about my family and my future. I would like to thank everyone involved in the club for making me feel so welcome and also to the supporters who have been fantastic to me. I'm glad I can say goodbye to a few (tonight) against Crystal Palace which will be my last game.

"Obviously what happened at Wembley is something I will never forget, but there have been lots of great memories and I will miss the lads and the changing room, even if I don't miss the journey down! I am sure the club will have another great season this year, and I will be keeping my eye out for the results on a Saturday night."

the first player 2 score at both ends of new wembly if i remember correctly i even watched it but i cant member much these days lol.. crackin player tho and shame now i think truro need to get a good replacement for him a real star... mayb kevin lawerence from porthleven ..!!