Cornwall Football Forum

What happened to the old fashioned drop ball?

Guest jumpersforgoalposts

Guest jumpersforgoalposts

When i was growing up apart from scoring the odd goal and going into a 50/50 at full steam there wasnt many things i liked more than a good drop ball after a stop in play. These days the ball just gets kicked back to the keeper...whats the deal with that? I used to love going in for drop balls, nobody never got hurt and it was a fairest way to win the ball back.

not only that, i dont agree with kicking the ball out all the time if a player goes down...fair enough if its a serious head injury like Vidic had on the weekend but most of the time players like Ronaldo and Drogba are going down simply to stop the counter attack then moan when the attacking team dont kick the ball out. when i was a kid growing up we had "PLAY TO THE WHISTLE" drummed into us every training session! the officials should be the only person to stop play due to injury..Its about time the players of today started to man up and start playing the game with abit of aggression

When i was growing up apart from scoring the odd goal and going into a 50/50 at full steam there wasnt many things i liked more than a good drop ball after a stop in play. These days the ball just gets kicked back to the keeper...whats the deal with that? I used to love going in for drop balls, nobody never got hurt and it was a fairest way to win the ball back.

not only that, i dont agree with kicking the ball out all the time if a player goes down...fair enough if its a serious head injury like Vidic had on the weekend but most of the time players like Ronaldo and Drogba are going down simply to stop the counter attack then moan when the attacking team dont kick the ball out. when i was a kid growing up we had "PLAY TO THE WHISTLE" drummed into us every training session! the officials should be the only person to stop play due to injury..Its about time the players of today started to man up and start playing the game with abit of aggression

i broke someones foot last year in a drop ball :o funny at the time but bet he wished he just kicked it back now :lol: