Cornwall Football Forum

Saltash, Launceston and Torpoint.

I know the season still has a bit to go but I reckon Kevin Hendy, Paul Smith and Ian Stephens should be extremely proud of the job they have done so far this season, (and last season for Smudge).

I would imagine all of their budgets together doesn't get very close to one or two others close to them in the league so good on you boys, keep it going.

I for one would be delighted to see a "club" win the league that has a strong off field infrastructure, have invested in their facilities and shows great loyalty to their players for the whole season, not to mention the fact that the "club" can afford the budget and are not relying one any individual investment that has no sustainability.

I think everyone has learned lessons from recent era's and most clubs are getting their houses in order and doing things in a much more professional way.

I've also been impressed with Mousehole, Camelford, Foxhole and others who have come up into SWPL Div 1 West and got on with their season's without any fuss or pomp about injuries or losing players to clubs that can afford to reward them.

We at Wadebridge are looking forward to the Premier Division next season (as long as we get 1 more point from 7 games!) and look to the clubs above as a benchmark to what can be achieved by investing wisely and taking care of good people.

I also have a lot of admiration for Porthleven for sticking to their principles about what they feel they can afford and not bowing to the pressure of the pyramid, and Newquay, who took a great decision to inject some sense to their first team with the appointment of Andy Dingle, a nice guy and good coach.

I hope the two games between us and Port decide the title and that neither of us slip up in the final games to give it to the other. We won the first game at ours, could have gone either way though so it will be interesting.

I think it's important for the growth of the league that clubs continue to go up from the West and that Truro Reserves and Porthleven don't cause a bottleneck in that division for too long.

Overall for me this season has been tough, felt like a relegation from the old SWL at times with the "officials" situation, but it's nice to feel like we have achieved something if we get promoted and we are under no illusions that we have to step up a few notches to stay in the Premier next season but can't wait to get amongst it.

:c: :smiley20: