Cornwall Football Forum

England result

r_and_l

Fairpoint but cappello obviously doesnt care about reputation or clubs the players are at when you look at his choices for the squad im just amazed brown got a game let alone 90 minutes the blokes only in the man u side cause they have no-one else to play right back.

I know cappello is sussing the team out but he has watched brown and richards how did brown get the nod he isnt in richards league!!

Perhaps it's because Capello hasn't actually seen Richards play at right back?. He spent the end of last season and all of this season playing in the centre of defence and it's clear that Capello isn't going to play people out of position, which is a bloody big step in the right direction and already makes him an improvement on previous managers.

It's all about whether a player will suit HIS system and whether the player is playing well enough week in week out to deserve a game. I don't know about the rest of you but I was actually chuffed to see Michael Owen left to sulk on the bench. He's played even less footy than Beckham in the past year and when he has played he looks nothing more than ordinary.

Oh by the way, when is Gerrard actually going to perform in an England shirt?.

Perhaps it's because Capello hasn't actually seen Richards play at right back?. He spent the end of last season and all of this season playing in the centre of defence and it's clear that Capello isn't going to play people out of position, which is a bloody big step in the right direction and already makes him an improvement on previous managers.

It's all about whether a player will suit HIS system and whether the player is playing well enough week in week out to deserve a game. I don't know about the rest of you but I was actually chuffed to see Michael Owen left to sulk on the bench. He's played even less footy than Beckham in the past year and when he has played he looks nothing more than ordinary.

Oh by the way, when is Gerrard actually going to perform in an England shirt?.

fair points but on last nights performance that should be the last time we see brown in an england shirt,gerrard should not be captain when terry returns and he got motm the pundits raved about bentley but I must have missed something there roonet was best player by a mile.Richards should have played over upson aswell in my opinion if you are saying cappello see's him as a centre half

An interesting match which the first half was best forgotten. Being a Beckham fan I watched Bentley closely and his first half performance was dire but he did do some good things in the second half which deserves a second chance. But not on the right wing. He did cause a lot of problems inside. Brown played quite well as did Calamity James, Ferdinand and Upson. Cole the defender was awful which was a surprise. Joe Cole was something else I fancy the lad has lost some wieght he certainly looked slimmer. I'm not to sure about Jenas, a bit light weight and didn't actually do anything apart from score. I don't understand why Gerrard played on the left and Barry on the right, both were pretty mediocre and man of the match 'I don't think so'. That should have gone to either Joe Cole or Rooney. Rooney still amazes me at the incredible pace he has and his close control. What a superb player.

Wright-Phillips again a lovely lad but not international quaility tends to dive up blank alleys. It was good to see Hargreaves come on he does his job well and actually steadied the ship.

It is only the start and although I do not like a 4-5-1 system you copuld actually see where the manager is coming from because when they did break quick there was a lot of players in and a round the box.

I'll give it 6 out of 10, but the defence did not look good and solid. After all we were only playing Switzerland for goodness sake.

I must admit its nice to be right about Capello's 4-5-1 formation.

On to France

Guest crosser

i think it was a great result as it was a win, not to flattering so that should keep the hype down a bit and keep peoples feet on the ground.

on the subject of richards unfortunately for him his last game in the england side he had a mare and he his also not performing as well as he has been for city lately.

and as long as capello learns something from last nights performance and we slowly keep going in the right direction i will be happy because the main priority is that we hit the ground running for the world cup qualifiers.

Gerrard does not do enough, Brown is not good enough, Bentley still to prove himself as Beckham could have done what he did last Night. Wright-Phillips not up to it,the whole 20 passes and then another 30 yards backwards is not attractive either.

All in all an improvement then!

Why the sarcasm?. Who's said there was an improvement?. I've said that the fact that he's not going to play people out of position just to keep the so called "big names" happy is a step in the right direction.

The performance was not a brilliant one but what do you expect a guy to do after spending only two days with the players that he had at his disposal. Also, you need to stop knocking Bentley. ONLY him, Rooney and Joe Cole can say that they gave it everything and feel satisfied with their performances.

The problem is that there are too many bloody supporters with the same attitude as you chairman. They fail to see the whole picture and think that "has beens" like Beckham should be playing and are way too quick to get on players backs. The new manager doesn't give a crap about names and reputations, the so called superstars have had life way too easy and have been nothing but pampered by their clubs and the media. Fabio Capello is about to bang a few heads together and make these overhyped primadonnas realise that they have to actually earn the right to represent their country. The guy is a breath of fresh air and my own personal opinion is that there couldn't be a better man for the job.

If you cared to take time to evaluate the man as a manager you would see that he's closer to Brian Clough than any other manager in the world. How many people say that Cloughie was the best manager to have never managed England?. Cloughie was renowned and respected for his "Do it my way or f#@k off" attitude and Fabio Capello is exactly the same. People need to realise that England is lucky to have such a class act incharge of it's national team and accept that his only objective is to get a winning mentality to start with and then transfer that into results. He WILL win games and he will do it his way.

There is too much emphasis on playing football "the English way". It's about winning games and if playing boring ugly football brings a trophy to our English shores, I'll be only too happy to put up with it.

Coopsie, as ever you are right. Trouble is I come from a generation you don't understand when Great Britain was great and British still.

You are right about Brian Clough, a brilliant Man, good Footballer and Man Manager who should have had the English Team.

I squirmed to see Capello, stood for our Anthem and not knowing what the hell it was all about.

I do understand the generation you speak of chairman and I understand where you're coming from regarding Capello and the national anthem. However, the man understands that it is an honour to represent your country and he will only play those that deserve to be played and have earned the right to play. Surely that is the best thing for any team?.

I'm sure we all want the best for England,though I think he could have shown some respect for Beckham and got it behind us now.

My real gripe is with the state of English Football, even Capello has already pointed out that he can pick from only 39% Premier League, whereas the Spanish Manager has 68%. Therein lies an ever increasing problem in this Country, both Football and everything else.

I do hope he can sort it out on the Pitch, but it needs something at the very top too.

You only need to look close to Home.

Atleast teams like Spurs and Villa are doing ther bit towards the problem you speak of chairman. Recruiting young ENGLISH talent and playing them when they are good enough. I personally think that the answer to many of the England senior teams problems could well lie within the VERY TALENTED bunch of players we have in the under 21 team/squad.

Also, if Defoe continues to play week in week out, I think you'll see him become one of the first names on the team sheet. Before anyone jumps on my back, I am not saying thats what will happen, I am just saying that he WILL score plenty of goals and I wouldn't be too surprised if next season he ends up being the highest scoring English man in the top scorer table?.

Cast your minds back to the manager that actually won the World Cup for England Alf Ramsey. To get into an England shirt you had to warm the bench for many,many games before you got on the pitch. Ramsey seemed to have one policy 'if it aint broke don't fix it'. Although he did drop that genius Jimmy Greaves.

Unfortunately we who do remember the time when England under Ramsey played a completely alien game to that which was played in our old Division One, we yearn for that type of success. I'm afraid Sven made winning an England shirt something everyone should have wether they earned it or not

Fabio's ideas were very clear what he wanted and to be honest a limping Beckham would have been made to look like a star in that formation In fact Capello could lengthen Beckham's career if he played a 4-5-1 formation every game. Capello owes Beckham one for helping him lift the Sapnish title but it would also be good for England.

When everyone is fit that is when we can judge the manager God help us Lampard, but also Terry, Gary Neville etc and I think we all wish him well.