Cornwall Football Forum

SUNDAY CUP RESULTS

Carlyon Arms 8 Wendron Utd 0

Packhorse 5 Union FC 2

Porthleven 1 St Breward 2

Saltash Old Boys v Lostwithiel postponed

Holders Carlyon Arms comfortably brushed aside a youthful Wendron Utd though credit to the team from down west who never let their heads drop. The St Austell club were 3-0 up within 15 minutes and from then on it was a case damage limitation for the team from the Western League. On Par's other pitch Packhorse unbeaten season continued with an impressive 5-2 over Union FC. Union FC had already seen off Tremough & Troon, teams placed 1st & 2nd down West but found the CSFL league leaders to strong on the day.

Wendron, unlike most other Sundays, turned up with 93% of their players sober. However, we played like we were 100% not.

Never got going and played with no confidence what so ever. We were very slow on and off the ball. I think that the long journey up north affected us and next time our manager should look at providing us with overnight accommodation if we were to make the journey again.

Carlyon Arms or Sandy or whatever they called themselves were the complete opposite. Turning up in fetching green shirts (all of which matched) and socks with holes only to put your feet in, they played with aggression (in the right context), pace and a want to win. The front three looked impressive and they used the wide men well. We failed to deal with it all day. Their number 8, who had an impressive beard, ran it in the middle. Apart from that, I can't tell you too much about the rest of the side because they weren't tested.

I can't remember all of the goals. In all honesty we were our own worse enemies and gifted them some soft goals. This obviously got them even more up for it and our heads were hurting worse than the would have been if we went out the night before. Would've been good if we could have stayed in it a bit longer and do ourselves justice.

That been said Carlyon Arms/Sandy were well drilled, obviously played together regularly and knew their jobs very well.

Best of luck in the next round.

Looked an interesting fixture on the other pitch. Now that I think about it, I think our keeper must have been watching theirs instead of ours. The team wearing hi vis jackets came out on top against the team who turned up in premiership tracksuits and matching haircuts.

Best of luck to you all and happy new year!

X