Cornwall Football Forum

has this ever happened before?

on 28/01/78 in the cornwall cup (presumably the charity cup) game; illogan 2-4 penzance, the referee s.b. medlyn retired suffering from fatigue with the linesman caddy taking over. he too had to retire with a strained leg muscle. he was replaced by the other linesman james with caddy returning forlornly on the line. the wet and heavy conditions were to blame.

a game with three different referees doesnt happen very often. are there any other examples?

• 1 month later...

It's often read about up country but on 14/09/74, the South Western League match Tavistock 3-3 Ottery St Mary was played to a finish but after the linesman was sent off by the referee after indicating his disgust at being overruled again!

It was reported in the West Briton but as I wasn't around I can't confirm it.

I find it similarly strange that Bugle 3-2 Tavistock in the 1973/74 season was refereed by the legendary Jimmy Coates, the 40+ year old player/manager of Bugle after none of the three appointed officials made an appearance.

The 1970s was a weird period in time in Cornish football. Bad weather on a Saturday caused the postponement of a Charity Cup tie so, using common sense and initiative, Looe vs Newquay was played on the Sunday. The CCFA discussed the matter and considered expelling Looe. In the end they considered things and allowed the result to stand. The replay at Mount Wise finished level after extra time but Looe were ejected from the competition for playing an ineligible player.

Also in 1973/74, Penzance had 2 points and 3 goals deducted after Tony Claypole was played without being properly signed. In the days when referees could sign the forms, the Penzance representative went to the Truro home of a referee at 4am to get him signed. Unfortunately the referee's eyesight and memory only kicked in later when he realised the form was dated for two days previous. Penzance were also fined the hefty sum of £7.50.

It was reported in the West Briton but as I wasn't around I can't confirm it.

I find it similarly strange that Bugle 3-2 Tavistock in the 1973/74 season was refereed by the legendary Jimmy Coates, the 40+ year old player/manager of Bugle after none of the three appointed officials made an appearance.

The 1970s was a weird period in time in Cornish football. Bad weather on a Saturday caused the postponement of a Charity Cup tie so, using common sense and initiative, Looe vs Newquay was played on the Sunday. The CCFA discussed the matter and considered expelling Looe. In the end they considered things and allowed the result to stand. The replay at Mount Wise finished level after extra time but Looe were ejected from the competition for playing an ineligible player.

Also in 1973/74, Penzance had 2 points and 3 goals deducted after Tony Claypole was played without being properly signed. In the days when referees could sign the forms, the Penzance representative went to the Truro home of a referee at 4am to get him signed. Unfortunately the referee's eyesight and memory only kicked in later when he realised the form was dated for two days previous. Penzance were also fined the heft sum of £7.50.

Should have gone to Specsavers !