Cornwall Football Forum

Bath City 1, Truro City 1

Hi there guys, Mangotsfield fan here in peace. While my lot were away at Poole today, I headed off to Twerton Park to see the White Tigers. Whenever I see a game not involving the Mighty Mangos, I always do a match report of the game I see & then put it on our forum, so to save you all looking it up, here's what I've said tonight - hope it's a fair report!...........

It wasn’t a great game, but Bath City & bottom club Truro City shared the spoils at Twerton Park – sorry, Mayday Trust Park – this afternoon in front of a gate of 576 (we can only dream of figures like that at Cossham Street!!), with both goals coming right at the death of this Blue Square South match.

I haven’t been to Twerton for a few years now, but I’ve always liked the place. It reminds me very much so of an old-fashioned football ground (terraces, barriers, old-style pylons etc) that has seen better days, but it’s homely and if it wasn’t £12 to get in, I might go a bit more often! They are the biggest local non-league side to Bristol after all (in terms of league status, I hasten to add!). I remember seeing the Romans draw 1-1 with Barnet here back in 1985 & that game eventually evolved into me going to non-league matches more often, though admittedly, back then, speedway still came first, until 1987 when I first went to watch a certain MUFC.

The White Tigers were today the Blue & White Tigers (blue shirts, white shorts) & while their league position looks hopeless, I don’t suppose that matters too much right now, seeing as they could have folded earlier in the campaign. Bath lined up with 2 x 3-0 wins behind them & a (very) outside chance of the play-offs, but as I was told before the game, they always struggle against the bottom clubs!

Truro were first off the mark with Martin Watts firing way over the bar from 20 yards (4 minutes), but then Elliott Chamberlain broke through for Bath (8) & his shot was blocked for a corner. The early stages saw little between the sides, with the Bath keeper the busier of the two. The game stepped up as Bath’s Gethin Jones & Adam Connelly both had headers saved (24 & 26), with Truro’s Les Afful firing wide from 20 yards in between. Truro defender Martin Watts then went off injured (30), but it was Les Afful again who had a strong free-kick punched clear by Bath keeper Jason Mellor (32). The Romans went close again (37) when Adam Connelly fired wide after a neat team move, but by the break, there was still little to choose between the sides & the game did need a goal fro somewhere. Bath fans were also beginning to show their frustration at being unable to break down the (Blue and) White Tigers’ defence.

HT: Bath City 0, Truro City 0

The 2nd half saw early pressure from the Romans, but little came of it. The referee was coming in for some stick from the home crowd with some of his decisions & they certainly shouted loudly on 55 minutes when Bath’s Chris Allen – one of their best players today – went down in the box following a challenge, but the official wasn’t interested & no penalty was given. Difficult one, but I just about agree with the referee on that occasion.

The home crowd’s overall frustration continued right through the 2nd half as Truro defended well & Bath could not unlock them. At the other end, Andy Watkins (62) went close for the Cornish side when he fired over from 15 yards & despite more Bath pressure, they couldn’t create clear-cut chances & keeper Jason Mellor did well to keep out a free kick from Truro’s Lee Hodges. Even so, this game had had 0-0 stamped all over it, long before then!

Truro edged forward & went close when Paul Kendall headed wide from a free kick (80) & then a shot zoomed over the Bath bar (82), but the home fans really had seen enough when Truro took the lead on 90 minutes, just as the electronic added-on time board was being held up. A casual & speculative lob from the edge of the box by Andy Watkins deceived the home keeper & dropped just under the crossbar to send the 30 or so Truro fans behind the goal into raptures of delight. But Bath threw everyone forward & with a last-ditch chance, they equalised. A long throw from the left side down towards the Truro goal worked its way through to sub Josh Lowe at the far post & he hooked the ball high into the net. The home fans went wild & the tannoy announced the goal as officially being 94 minutes, so games obviously do not last 90 minutes! (If that had been a Golden Goal time, how would they have dealt with that, I wonder??)

FT: Bath City 1, Truro City 1

In the end, it was a fair result, but it was a poor game in all honesty. The referee should have worn a different colour top as well, as his all-black blended in too well with Bath City’s Newcastle strip. Credit to the Truro fans for their non-stop singing, especially in the 2nd half, & they were a credit to their club. It was also a nice gesture for Bath to acknowledge the Truro fans with a tannoy announcement thanking them for coming. The Romans’ fans were a noisy bunch as well, though I do think they clearly nicked “Drink Up Thee Zyder” from Bristol City, but well done to them too.

If Mangotsfield EVER reach Conference South, and it’s a heck of a long way off at present, then get ready to spend a fortune to watch us at that level. As I said, it was £12 to stand up at Bath, £2.50 programme (good one too), a whopping £6.20 for a giant burger & chips (most meals were around the £4 mark though) and if you want to watch the Romans away to Dover Athletic next Saturday, then the coach leaves Twerton at 8.45am & it’s £27 for non-members (£23 for members) – and a damned long day out it is too. I think Bath plan to arrive home from there later this year sometime!

Having said all that, so it wasn’t a spectacle today, but well done to both sides for their efforts & good luck to them both for the rest of the campaign. icon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gif:c::c: