Cornwall Football Forum

Portreath vs Troon

A still very much depleted Portreath side took to the field this afternoon still after there first win since the season before last.

Playing a 3-5-2 formation didn't give Portreath the best of starts considering the quality of the Troon wingers and full backs.

Portreath conceded rather early on, then switched to 4-4-2. Helping them to control the flow of play on the flanks as best as they could.

2 Troon goals came a little while later in the half, each coming from very well placed corners by Danny Bell (I think he delivered for both) which were well converted by the Troon forwards.

The Portreath defenders and goalkeeper know they could have done better but that's life.

Later on in that half, I was bought down with a HORRIFIC tackle by the Troon Gaffer :angry2: (LOL).. Free kick on the edge of the box, converted well by Paul Carter to maintain a 100% goal record from free kicks spanning 2 seasons.

The second half was an improvement by Portreath who tried playing flowing football but each time were very well closed down by the Troon Lads.

In that half there were 2 own goals by the Portreath players, bringing the score to 5-1.

Jason Fenton netted a header in the second half for Portreath, but was ruled out by a questionable offside decision.

Then later on in the game Troom netted the 6th.

In all, Portreath feel quite unlucky considering the 2 own goals and 2 goals from corners which could have been prevented..

BUT on that note, Troon will certainly feel that they should have converted more of the many chances they had.

Next week sees Portreath travelling to Troon yet again to play there seconds (I think) and then Trispen the week after. It's these next two friendlies which could give a good eye opener into the sort of season Portreath are about to have.

Many thanks to Troon for todays game. Always a pleasure.

Man of the match, for me was probably Gribble in the middle of the park.

Good luck to Troon for the forthcoming season...

Your turn Marlesy :c:

A still very much depleted Portreath side took to the field this afternoon still after there first win since the season before last.

still....so were we, 5 players out who played in our game on wed, so all in all both teams short, i'd have to agree with last weeks statement that said this team we played today was a better team than the one in combo last season, a few players playing for them as usual who will def not be there once the season kicks off, but fair play if thats whats needed to get 11 players in the pitch then so be it, hopefully they can continue to back Leon as i know he was let down today by a few individuals, always happens where ever you play, sad to be honest, a note on our goals, i know dave you can try to take the shine off of them by saying you could of avoided them, you can do that with every goal the fact is that two of danny bells corners were class, and met by danny claypit, and pip, another was played out from defence, 6/7passes latter it was swept into the net by danny bell, great move and goal, two others were mistakes yes, but our lads know that they should of finished off 5/6 other chances. your headed goal was offside, alot of your lino's decisions were "questionable" but we got on with it and did not make any excuses.

i think port will have a good season, got a good bunch of lads, just need to add a bit more to the squad and hopefully you will compete at the top of the table next season

good luck from all of troon afc.

Very right mate, Danny's Corners were class! Certainly didn't say they wasnt. They were landing exactly where they should have.. Right on the edge of the 6 yard box... Our defence and keeper could have done better but certainly not taking that away from the goals, as they were very good!

I think the only guy from yesterdays squad that won't be signing is Ricky.. He don't seem very interested. I know the other guys are all ready to take on the Portreath Challenge :)

SHould be an interesting season ahead

Guest Bundiwilliams

i can confirm everyone who played yesterday have signed on and will be staying at portreath for this season, on wednesday the club decided that only committed players would be allowed to play for our remainded 3 games, so i can safely say that everyone in blue yesterday will be wearing a portreath shirt next year.

on a sour note, nothing was mentioned on the write up that over a hundred pound was stolen from players yesterday and a mobile phone!!! obviously Troon cant be held completely in fault for the theft, but messures need to be put in place to ensure this doesnt happen again!!!!

portreath improved on last week and i am sure with the 3-4 other players coming n will have a decent run out over our next 2 friendlies.

Bundi the only people who had access to your changing rooms througout the game were..........YOUR PLAYERS!!! both changing rooms were locked at the beginning of the game, and the only people that went into your changing rooms were your own players, the only people who have keys are myself, my keys were in my pocket, in our changing rooms as i was on the pitch, and the other key was held by my brother, and he gave that to one of your players to go in there at half time, so maybe look a little bit closer to home rather than point the finger, i think you may have a tea leaf amongst youe team.....there was 6 teams playing there yesterday, and none of the other 5 teams had any problems with anything going missing.....says alot i think! and over a hundred pound....started off at £60 yesterday when the individual told me face to face, so lets not blow this out of proportion, i'd love to babysit all the teams that come to grouter park, secure the changing rooms at the beginning of the game, then follow each and every one of your players to the changing rooms, wait for them to go to the loo, or shower, and then lock up again (push a padlock together!) and then continue to do this until all of your players have been sorted, but unfortunately we can not do this, sort your team out before you lose alot more things from the changing rooms throughout the season, GOOD LUCK!

i can confirm everyone who played yesterday have signed on and will be staying at portreath for this season, on wednesday the club decided that only committed players would be allowed to play for our remainded 3 games, so i can safely say that everyone in blue yesterday will be wearing a portreath shirt next year.

on a sour note, nothing was mentioned on the write up that over a hundred pound was stolen from players yesterday and a mobile phone!!! obviously Troon cant be held completely in fault for the theft, but messures need to be put in place to ensure this doesnt happen again!!!!

portreath improved on last week and i am sure with the 3-4 other players coming n will have a decent run out over our next 2 friendlies.

same thing happened to us when we visited troon last season. when i raised the issue on here (not blaming troon players/officials/supporters but more the fact as to why the changing rooms couldnt be locked) i was also met with the accusation that perhaps one of our players was the guilty party and failed to get any sort of apology or recognition that troon as a club could hold any sort of reponsibility or do anything about this happening in the future at these changing rooms.

now, without placing the blame on any individuals it does seem suspicious that this has happened to several clubs at these changing rooms.

also, i was told that there was no possible way that the changing rooms could be locked as so many teams used them - i am glad that you have come up with a solution to ensure that the changing rooms are locked during a game.

good luck to both portreath and troon for the forthcoming season.

same thing happened to us when we visited troon last season. when i raised the issue on here (not blaming troon players/officials/supporters but more the fact as to why the changing rooms couldnt be locked) i was also met with the accusation that perhaps one of our players was the guilty party and failed to get any sort of apology or recognition that troon as a club could hold any sort of reponsibility or do anything about this happening in the future at these changing rooms.

now, without placing the blame on any individuals it does seem suspicious that this has happened to several clubs at these changing rooms.

also, i was told that there was no possible way that the changing rooms could be locked as so many teams used them - i am glad that you have come up with a solution to ensure that the changing rooms are locked during a game.

good luck to both portreath and troon for the forthcoming season.

josh your right, at the time of the incident with wendron we could not secure the builing completly, since that incident we have put measures into place to make sure they are safe, and secure for both teams, so thats that! i'll repeat what i originally said, the only people who had access to portreaths changing rooms were their own players, unlike in wendrons situation in which we did reply saying that we would sort this problem out, so what you are saying about us doing nothing about this happening again, is rubbish, as we have done, but we can not babysit the away team to ensure they lock up after themselves.

Bit confusing this post <_< ... I have played twice already in the last couple weeks in pre season friendlys at troon and have had no trouble whatsoever with items missing etc.. :)

I think they are absolutely spot on when they give you the option to lock up yet you dont then the only fault lies with the team, secondly dange'rous ( or is it dangerous dave??? ) :ninja:

Troon's insurance (if they use the County stuff on offer) should cover the theft - If the changing rooms were secured. Try claiming Jamie, and let us know how you get on. We're paying out enough for this cover, let's see if the small print is so good that we're wasting our money.

Guest Bundiwilliams

Bundi the only people who had access to your changing rooms througout the game were..........YOUR PLAYERS!!! both changing rooms were locked at the beginning of the game, and the only people that went into your changing rooms were your own players, the only people who have keys are myself, my keys were in my pocket, in our changing rooms as i was on the pitch, and the other key was held by my brother, and he gave that to one of your players to go in there at half time, so maybe look a little bit closer to home rather than point the finger, i think you may have a tea leaf amongst youe team.....there was 6 teams playing there yesterday, and none of the other 5 teams had any problems with anything going missing.....says alot i think! and over a hundred pound....started off at £60 yesterday when the individual told me face to face, so lets not blow this out of proportion, i'd love to babysit all the teams that come to grouter park, secure the changing rooms at the beginning of the game, then follow each and every one of your players to the changing rooms, wait for them to go to the loo, or shower, and then lock up again (push a padlock together!) and then continue to do this until all of your players have been sorted, but unfortunately we can not do this, sort your team out before you lose alot more things from the changing rooms throughout the season, GOOD LUCK!

first off jamie you need to think about what your saying, not once in my post did i mention anything about anyone from your club being involved and all of a sudden you are blaming one of my players stealing from one of his own team memebrs, getting abit defensive straight away, all i mentioned was that things need to be sorted out so it doesnt happen again!!!!!

the other week we played there, used the changing facilities, the doors were not locked and nothing was taken, this week we go to the same pitch, the doors are locked and some how things go missing!!!!!!

you have two doors, both keys unlock both doors, you had both keys. we had 12 players on saturday, when we left changing rooms they were locked, no one went to them at half time and only went back to them after game had finished and the doors were already unlocked!!!!!!

all the players at portreath know eachother and have for a long time, we are all friends so i doubt very much it was someone from my team!!!!

so stop pointing fingers saying its someone from my club when not once have i blamed anyone at troon, but if you want to get personal that can be done!!!!!!!

maybe one suggested would be, have two different locks on the door so the home changing room doesnt open the away changing and give the key to the away team, why did you have both keys????

also you stated you gave the key to a goalie at half time, but you cant recall what he looked like?????

instead of going off on one just try and say sorry next time!!!!!!

i will never blame anyone at troon for what happened, so please i dont want to fall out with troon, your a good club, with great ambition and having a tough year which is something i know about. your facilities are ok and your hospitality is second to none.

i wish you and your brother all the best for this season!!!!

No-ones pointed any fingers at any individuals.. But, I know that there is certainly no way on earth that one of Portreaths players would have the nerve to steal off anyone, especially a team mate.

What is right though, is that the changing rooms WERE unlocked by the time we got back there, as was the home room.. So somehow, someone has gained access to these changing rooms and decided to have a rumble through peoples possesions OR gone in, came out and not locked them..

3 ways to deal with the problem...

1) Get a security guard keeping watch over the changing rooms... As pictured :thumbsup:

2) Get 2 padlocks which have totally different keys.. And ensure the key is given to the teams manager before each game..

3) And the most obvious which should have been done.. The teams get a valuables bag and locks it in a vehicle.

The downside to this facility is that if one changing room door is unlocked, there is access to all the rooms via the showers. So, the doors to the sides of that shower room need to be locked aswell to prevent anyone entering any changing room from any access point.

Such a shame this has happened as its put a bit of a dampener on the day. But.. Life goes on.

Troon are a very good club with good, trustworthy lads within the teams. This incident doesn't relect Troon Football Club at all. I played there for 2 seasons prior to Locks being put on the doors, and I never had anything go missing in all that time.

I think its just an unfortunate event which should be forgotten now. Lets not have anyone falling out or getting an atmosphere between people and/or clubs.

Mmm, may i first say thankyou to everyone for your concern. The fact of the matter is that no body was killed :thumbsup: .

All of the Troon guys did listen to what i said, and did have an answer for all of my queries about the mis-hap. I guess it will just go down as one of those things and hopefully will not happen again.If i can forget it then i am sure anyone else involved can, but i must add i do trust my team mates implicitly, and do not hold anyone responsable at Troon.

End of Matter.

Portreath in my opinion played well on saturday, although clearly out classed by Troon. It was a much better performance by us and without a doubt, the biggest 'team effort' i have seen Portreath achieve since last season. With a couple of new faces to come into our squad i think it will only be a matter of time before we really start to click and raise a few eyebrows in the forthcoming season.

Many thanks to Troon for the game

Jas