Cornwall Football Forum

Stones on Pitch

Guest bootboy

Guest bootboy

I travel around quite a bit watching Duchy league football, and this is not the first time I have heard of this problem at Charlestowns pitch ( alot of stones on the surface). it is the 1st time I have heard the ref calling it off for safety reasons, quite rightly so, if what is being said is correct. Will anything be done now, and has anyone else experienced this at Charlestown, apart from the pitch, a pretty good team.

Hi bootboy,

To be fair, the whole club (Charlestown) works EXTENSIVELY at getting the pitch ready for the fixtures that come our way (catering for Mens, womens and under16s teams) and this is the first time the stones have been an issue with our pitch.

In fact all of our players and the opposing goalie on Saturday said how well the pitch is coming along. We even saw an under 12s or 13s (i believe) quarter final on one of our pitches on Saturday Morning!!!

Unfortunately with pitches that are brand spankers, you get this stone issue which is intensified by rain and wet weather.

This weekend, we were very disapointed by the referee who was "more than happy with the pitch" if some of the surface water was swept off the pitch, only for the away team to then completely change his decision, safety issue or not.

The last thing, as Charlestown manager, i want to see is any player (home or away) to get injured by a stone, and perhaps on reflection the referee made the right choice, but for the first time in my footballing career i saw a team who never looked like wanting to play football, which was disappointing for everyone, especially the 50 or 60 youngsters and parents who were planning to stay on and watch us after another of our youth teams played. At the time, i was that furious, i gathered opinions from some local lads that afternoon, 2 from St. Austell AFC, one from Mount Charles, one from Lostwithiel, who all agreed they would have played on that pitch, no doubt....i have since cooled down since then and believe in all due respect to the referee, he has a duty of care.

Guest bootboy

Im sorry I didnt realise it was a new pitch, i understand why the stones are there now, if nothing else youve let people know why. Best of luck and hope to get to see you play in the new year !

Morning Bootboy, no probs matey...

the whole ground is brand new, boasting several youth team pitches, 2 complete full size adult pitches, several training areas, a clubhouse, a stand thats currently being erected and best of all in a secure location, which Charlestown YFC owns outright. The work from the club is sensational when you see the before and after pictures of the area.

With all being considered, and the lack of complaints we've had previously, the attitude of several people over the weekend was unjustified.