Cornwall Football Forum

Gerrans 2 Newquay Minor 0

With Newquay first team's game at Penryn being cancelled, I was invited to join our third team in a top of the Table clash against League leaders Gerrans. The two teams are in complete contrast. Newquay is a squad of youngsters including a starting line up of 8 teenagers and 3, 16 year olds in the squad. Gerrans had a very experienced squad of "older" players. It made for an enthralling game. Newquay had the strong breeze in their favour in the first half and made a positive start to the game. Tom Graham shot at the near post and the 'keeper saved with his feet. Dom Roberts then went round the 'keeper but the angle was too tight to get a shot in. I had been warned that Gerrans were strong from set pieces and they took the lead from a corner. The Newquay defence initially defended the corner well but a poor clearance went straight to the Gerrans player on the edge of the area and his shot found the corner of the net. Graham then hit a curling 25 yard free kick but just when it looked destined for the top corner it died in the wind and the 'keeper made a comfortable save. Jake Hickling then hit a rising shot over the bar and that equaliser appeared to be elusive. Gerrans always looked dangerous on the break and in a skirmish the ball was cleared off the line. Both sides had further half chances but the respective goalies deal with these with ease.

The second half followed a similar pattern with Newquay having the lion's share of possession but Gerrans looking very dangerous when they broke quickly. Roberts had a couple of near misses but half way through the half a well timed run saw the Gerrans forward run in on Tom Berry and he finished expertly from a wide angle. Newquay never gave up and Dean Hall put over a great cross and just as Luke Hyde seemed certain to score the Gerrans defender made the tackle of the game to deny him a goal. The live wire Peter Ling got behind the Gerrans defence and was brought down for what looked like a certain penalty but alas it was not given. Gerrans won the game 2 - 0 and now look almost certain to win the League, even at this early stage of the season. I think both teams had a great respect for each other and they were a credit to the Duchy League. Thanks also for the "hot" chilli supplied in the pub after the game. Whilst Newquay were disappointed with the result they should be extremely proud and pleased with their performance. They have a number of outstanding youngsters who I am sure will go on to play for Newquay first team in the future. Their manager Leon Hyde and coach Mike Healy conducted themselves excellently throughout the game and afterwards and I was really pleased that I accepted Leon's invitation to be part of our third team yesterday. Good luck to Gerrans for the rest of the season and well done for a thoroughy professional performance yesterday.