Cornwall Football Forum

Hayle 2 Newquay 4 & Chrissy Luxton

Whilst the excitement of the game didnt quite reach last season's level the fans got good value for money with an excellent game on the first day of the new season. Hayle probably was the better team in a fairly even first half. Orrin Crowle went close for Newquay early on but his free kick was pushed over by Cheal. Chrissy Luxton saw his header go over when he was well placed. Hayle took the lead on 20 minutes when I believ Wolstencroft scored with a vicious dipping volley from wide on the left. 16 year old Ryan Barnes making his senior debut in goal kept Newquay in the game with an outstanding save 10 minutes before the break.Crowle went close again but this time Cheal pushed the ball wide for a corner. From the resultant corner Luxton was adjudge to have been impeded and a rather soft penalty was given. Jake Hartigan conerted. Hayle regained the lead on the stroke of half time when he mis hit free kick from Wayne Quinn resulted in Shiels firing in after Barnes had saved the first attempt on goal. Newquay started the second period strongly and 10 minutes in a delightful Paul Hampshire through ball released Luxton and he carried the ball 25 yards before coolly placing the ball wide of Cheal. 5 minutes late a similar move saw Luke Rigby in on goal and he finished in similar manner to Luxton. on 70 minutes Sam McKune headed home after a Hartigan corner. Hayle nearly replied but the forward volleyed over from 2 yards out. Newquay finished the game stronger and on their second half performance probably deserved the win.

This game has turned out to be the last for Chrissy Luxton in a Newquay shirt. Chrissy has decided to move on to Bodmin where I am certain he will be a massive success. It was perhaps fitting that Chrissy played his last game at Hayle where so much controvesy surrounded his late equalising goal last year. Chrissy made a public announcement at that time and showed great maturity at that time. Chrissy has made a massive contribution to Newquay Football Club and I am sure I echo everyone's sentiments at the Club in wishing Chrissy every success with Bodmin.

Ach, it had to happen eventually as Chris is such a talent, good luck Chris Im sure you are destined to go onto bigger and better things, you shall be missed.

As for the game, it sounds a good one and the Hayle hoodoo is broken. I was watching QPR get robbed by a 94th minute equaliser after the ref found 5 extra minutes from somewhere even though there were no second half goals, no bookings and only about two minor injuries!

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Best of luck to Chrissy.

Isn't Bodmin his home town?

Shall miss him at Newquay.

Echo that, Chrissy will be missed by all at Mount Wise, we hope he does well at his home town club of Bodmin. Mind you if it dosn't work out, you got Jims number Chris !

Best of luck young man, hope this is the stepping stone to bigger things for you.