Cornwall Football Forum

Troon Combo v Newquay SWPL

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Troon Combo v Newquay SWPL

Troon have a clubhouse on the ground and welcome any supporters who wish to turn up, the clubhouse is open all day with a BBQ also being available, thier is also another game on our 2nd team pitch for extra viewing which lies next to the main pitch.

Directions take the Camborne West exit on the A30, head towards Camborne town centre, do not turn into the main street but go right at the mini roundabout, the Corn exchange nightclub will be on your right hand side.

Head up towards Basset Road for approx 800 yards. The Police station will lie in front of you. Take a left at the mini rounabout proceed around 400 yards where you will come to another mini roundabout (3rd exit) as if you was heading for Camborne Railway station, go over the lines and head through the village of Beacon, do not turn off!!! keep on the same road as the village of Troon is approx one mile from Beacon itself.

When in Troon you will pas the only pub in the village called the "Grenville Arms" which will be on your left, the CO-OP shop will lie in front of you, take the road that forks off before the shop signposted "Troon Moor" it's fairly narrow and with some tight corners. You will pass through a cluster of houses and after around 400 yards the ground will appear be on the right signposted "Grouter Park". Good luck lol.

Troon have a small stand which will holds between 20-30 spectators but only standing. The ground has railings all around the pitch so feel free to bring your flags or banners as long as they are not offensive lol.

Their is around parking for about 80 cars, postcode for Sat Nav is TR14 9HT.

Info provided by the very nice folk at Troon, do check the website www.troonafc.com

One seat left in Mrs Judges car, leaving clubhouse at 1pm, just £4 to cover fuel etc, first come first served and all that !

Troon 0 v 2 Newquay XI

Many thanks to the ladies and gents of Troon who made the Newquay Loyal welcome, nice to put faces to names (including the ref from the other match). Great little set up, hard working team and sure to make a few Combo sides blush this season.

This was due to be a Newquay SWPL side but due to work and other commitments, 4 Combo players, a new signing and a trialist donned the yellow away shirt at some point or other but we did welcome back Robbo from his various summer activities. A difficult surface did not help the passing game of The Peppermints but as Jim said at HT, it is not to be used as an excuse by anyone. Newquay did go in one up after a corner was eventually blasted home by recent signing from Wendron, Dean Blatch.

Sammy Mac appeared to play in a roving role in the 2nd half, popping up in the midfield and occasionally alongside the strikers... he eventually completed the full set by going in goal for the last 5mins and pulled off a cracking save towards the end. Chrissy Luxton made in 2-0 to the visitors but the silky skills of Paul Hampshire were definately missed today. The unfamiliar defence did well and trialist keeper Luke Payne did what little he had to deal with confidently.

Not the ideal workout we had hoped for bearing in mind it is our bogey side Hayle away next Sat in the SWPL but another PSF on Tues away at Threemilestone may improve things.

Once again, many thanks to all at Troon, we wish them all the best for the season in the Combo (except when they play The Peppermints)

I thought Troon were a good team and will surely do well next season. For Newquay I thought Dean Blatch was outstanding. Having spoken to someone who knows Blatchy well and him saying how he is top class, Dean really showed that today I thought.

Ive got a couple of clips from the game including Chrissy's goal and Sam's great save, but unfortunately I missed the first goal as my daughter decided she wanted to call me at that precise moment. Will get them online by tonight.