Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

St Stephens Borough v Saltash 3rd - Match Report

Recommended Posts

St Stephens Borough 6

Saltash United 3rds 3

St Stephens Borough ran out deserved winners is this local derby against Saltash United's Duchy League side but the victory was marred by a serious injury to Borough's left back George Stokes who has broken his arm in two places and will be out for some time. The player is remaining positive and has told the managers that he will be at training with his cast on.

Borough named Andy Wright as team captain prior to the game and started the match fast out the blocks. They opened the scoring when, following a traing ground long throw routine, Alex Haste kept up his goalscoring run with a cute over head kick which guided the ball into the corner off the net.

Following the loss of Stokes Saltash equalised following some scappy defending which ended up with the ball bouncing off Nathan Holidays knee to leave a visitors forward on a one on one with Borough keeper Dave Greene which was cooly finished.

Holiday made amends with a good run down left and angled his body to deliver a through ball for Stuart Fort to run onto. Despite pressure from the Asjes defence he passed the ball into the far post with clynical percision.

Again Saltash came back and scored a good goal. Good build up play around the box led to the ball being played into Scott Summers for another one on one with Greene and he neatly chipped the ball over the Borough 'keeper.

Borough regained the lead when Dave Wright anounced himself back on the goalscoring scene with a delightful bit of skill. The ball was played into him with his back to goal, he flicked the ball one way and going the defender the other he was faced with just the keeper to beat and finished with a deleicate chip.

Max Parfitt fired in a free kick to the far post which Fort headed across goal finding Dave Wright in space to head home for his second and Borough's fourth before the halftime interval.

Borough made five changes at the interval but increased their lead when Andy Wright's corner found Jamie Walton-Gould who flicked the ball on for Fort to score with a header at the far post.

Saltash pulled one back as Borough made tactical changes to go with three at the back and three up front to see how they could cope with this formation and this did eventually pay dividents as both Walton-Gould and Luke Kelly hit the post before Fort found Walton-Gould on the edge of the box at an angle and he drilled the ball with venom into the far corner of the net leaving the Saltash keeper routed to the spot.

Borough managers Phil Bennett and John Busher were happy with the result and overall performance but the result was overshadowed by the injury to Stokes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have to be honest, being at the match last night this is a really biased and one sided report. For a start the first Saltash goal did not come off a Borough player to beat the defenders it came of a Saltash player, and Dave Wright scored a header did he not??

And the average age of the Saltash team must of been about 20, with their goalkeeper playing in midfield!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...