Cornwall Football Forum

5-a-side Tournament

Storm FC will be hosting a 5-a-side tournament on Sunday 30th August at their ground.

The tournament will hopefully be hard fought with many teams aiming to be at good fitness levels at this point of the season. Cost per team will be £25.

The tournament will be part of what is set to be named 'Satisfaction Sunday', an all day event including bouncy caslte, dance tent, ale and beer tent, hog roast, exhibition stands and more. The event is being hosted by the Corn Exchange and will be a good day out for families and then a good night out for those who like to enjoy the occasional party! There will be live music and things happening from 11 am right through until the early hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With reference to the 5-a-side entry... please contact myself or Matt Osborn (matchu on the forum).

Just like to thank those people that have contacted me with regards to the tournament and let the rest of you know that there are still places left but they are running out fairly quickly.

We have enough teams for 2 groups going into semi-finals and a final but will be expanding this due to further interest.

Many of you have asked the same questions so the details are as follows:

Register at 11am for an 11.30am - 12pm start

Max squad - 8 players

Cost per team - £25 (£3.12 per player for a squad of 8)

Winners to receive trophy, medals, crate of beer & further prize (TBC)

Runners-up to receive medals & crate of beer

Individual awards for top goalscorer and man of the tournament. These will be recorded on a teamsheet by the manager to hand in at the end of each game played. Results will be collected from these sheets.

There will be lots of other stuff going on around us so this should create a nice big crowd for the day.

Any questions please fire away. I will try my best to answer them.

• 2 weeks later...

We now have enough teams for a 2 group format, with another couple of teams interested. I would like to get this tournament up to 16 teams so that there is an opportunity for teams to play more matches.

If you would be interested please get in touch.

Comment taken on board Kanchelskis. I always love to see positive comments left for clubs that are working hard to get on and push forward.

I am aware that this tournament costs more than other local tournaments. I have worked out the costing per player before and I think it came to an astonishing price of £3.12 (or something like that) if you bring a squad of 8 players. Most teams pay subs between £2-3 as I am aware, so I don't see the price as being too bad.

I also remember playing in the local 5-a-side leagues where the charges were about £17 for 2 games, so perhaps not the most expensive around?

If you also read the previous posts you will see that there is quite a lot going on around the tournament other than just football.

• 3 weeks later...

Price redudced to £20 as some people are unsure of paying £25

Spaces left for 4 more teams

Also teams required for tug-of-war contest (10 people per team). There is no charge for this but donations will be passed on to the day's beneficiary the St Austell Brewery Trust (supporting local causes).

The run down of entertainment for the day is now complete and is detailed below. I did promise that there would be more than just a 5-a-side comp after all!

What a better way to start the day, fine food, fine drink, and football. The official Storm FC Fun day is upon us. Be entertained all day long from 11am til 8pm at the Storm FC football ground.

Fun for all the family events include:

Charity Football Match, Storm FC vs The Corn Exchange: Come and see the trouncing of Storm FC courtesy of The Corn Exchange, this is sure to be a home upset not to be missed!

The Novelty Dog Show: Like Crufts and you’ll love this, with such judging categories as, Dog with the waggy-ist tail, Dog with the biggest ears and the always popular Naughtiest dog contest. Bring your pet pouches and show us what you’ve got?

Five a Side football Tournament: Only one rule here, you must have a team of 5 people! Oh and if you know a bit about football it helps.

Hog Roast and BBQ: Need to refuel after, or even during the 5 a side tournament, take your pick of the finest selection of food known to man, BBQ food! Not to mention a fine Hog roast to boot.

Bouncy Castles: By popular demand (mainly the team). For use by ‘children’ and ‘big kids’ Dads you know who you are!

Tombola Raffle: Don’t waste your money on the lottery, these odds are much better!

Beat the Goalie: Goalie provided by Storm FC. So if you want to beat him turn up after dinner; because as we all no, the typical Storm FC footballer will not be able to resist the temptation of the beer tent for long.

Surf Simulator: For those rather inclined to water sports than footy, the surf simulator will meet all your surfing needs, plus building up mental stamina, and natural balance. Advisable to us this simulator intoxicated for best results.

Face Painting: Provided for children! However adults ARE allowed.

Tug of War: There’s a rope, have a tug. You get the idea.

And last, but definitely not least, the Beer and Ale tents, filled with all your favourite cold beverages. Allowing you to endure the long day of relaxation ahead not to mention the lie in the nest day, winners all round.

Not ready to finish the party at 8pm, roll on over to the Corn Exchange for the Satisfaction Sunday After Party until 3am. Special live guests Cally and Juice with MC Shocker will be providing live entertainment into the night backed up by our Tranzaction all stars! This will be a bank holiday to remember.

See you there.

The Corn Exchange and Storm FC

• 2 weeks later...

The fun day side of things was a bit of a wash out due to the lovely weather, but we did manage to get the beer tent & bouncy castle up. In the 11v11 game i think Storm XI beat Corn Exchange about 9-0 with some cracking goals scored.

The 5v5 tournament had to be tweaked at the last minute due to teams that had reserved places not attending with no notice of this. Fal Ath Res, Robartes, Rosudgeon and a couple of others failed to make it. Rather than 4 groups of 4 we changed the format to 2 groups of 5, with one team from each group going out of the tournament and the rest going into Qaurter Final etc.

2 teams stood out on the day in terms of quality. These we Madron and Phats FC (Gary Bell, Kev Lawrence & Co!). These teams contested the final which was hard fought and eventually decided on penalties, with MADRON running out as winners.

Here are the awards for the day:

Winners - Madron

Top Scorer - Kev Lawrence (16)

Player of the Tournament - Gary Bell

Well done to everyone that took part; you guys created some very interesting matches that were a pleasure to watch. Good bit of banter from the crowd, which seemed to get louder after every visit to the beer tent. Look out for another event next year.