Cornwall Football Forum

Godolphin v Penryn

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Away win for Penryn who ended the season with a 4-0 victory over the Newquay based side. Nothing unusual in that, but the ref had to stop play in the first half due to some doggy doo needing to find a new home after being left in midfield.

Ref had a shocker, failing to give a blatant Pen for Penryn in the first half and then booked the lad who was fouled for complaining. The same player then complained to the home Lino after an offside decsion went against Penryn with just 4mins left on the clock. The Lino attracted the refs attention who had already allowed the free kick to be taken, they exchanged views and the ref dished out a 2nd yellow turning Red. The Lino told the Penryn bench that the lad had not usued foul or abusive language but just moaned and yet it was enough for the ref to send him off.

Dale Band still going strong and ran the game. Having said that G had numerous chances but were high, wide and not very handsome. In fact the visitors keeper didn't have a shot on target to save until the 43rd min and therin lies the problem G have, no real forwards. The battled and worked hard but were no match for the boys in Red (when have I said that before ?)

Lowry was spoken to after stamping on a Penryn player but neither the ref or home lino saw anything and only after some strong words from the bench did the ref have words with the G player. Penryn too revenge on Lowry by scything him down Joey Barton style to put the ball out for throw. The ref only spoke with the offender.

2 Yellows/1 Red for something said and nothing for 2 horrible incidents... well done ref !

Guest retiredscorer

Good game Penryn, although I have only seen a few games this season this was your best passing game so far - football played was very watchable, comfortable playing from the back and strong in midfield, your youngsters once again did you proud. I wish you well for next season and hope your young talent remains in your side - 4th spot a?

Here are two of Penryns goals...

I missed the first as I hadnt got the phone out yet but it was chipped in and came back off the bar to an unmarked forward who tapped it in (I think its the same player that scores their second which is below).

Second goal for Penryn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j5K_mWrUyc

Third goal for Penryn which is a bit distant but there was a terrific through ball from the midfielder with the outside of his boot to set up the chance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeVCEG0eQUw

I missed the last goal as my kids were being a royal pain in the a%*e and I was telling them to behave. I looked up and the goalie was on the floor and the ball was being fished out of the net :(

Overall no complaints about the result on the day, the no.10 who got sent off right at the end was excellent and in reality Penryn were very hard to break down today. G had some half chances, a couple of opportunities to lob the keeper and on another day they may have gone in, but unfortunately not today.

Picking up on The Judge's comments, I think it was a foul, couldnt tell if it was in the area from where I was but I will take your word for it ;) And worth noting re: the sending off that I think it was Penryns linesman as the G lino was down the other end in the second half. Personally I thought the ref did well, kept talking to the players and didnt leave them confused with any decisions even when they didnt agree with him. I think if more ref's displayed such communication skills the moans and groans you hear about all the time would be halved.

There are a few more vids on my Youtube account if anyone is interested.

Picking up on The Judge's comments, I think it was a foul, couldnt tell if it was in the area from where I was but I will take your word for it ;) And worth noting re: the sending off that I think it was Penryns linesman as the G lino was down the other end in the second half. Personally I thought the ref did well, kept talking to the players and didnt leave them confused with any decisions even when they didnt agree with him. I think if more ref's displayed such communication skills the moans and groans you hear about all the time would be halved.

There are a few more vids on my Youtube account if anyone is interested.

2nd half and it was the G lino in the Cap down the slope on the right as you look from the tea bar towards the SEA end, who got the refs attention and the lad was sent off, totally wrong ! Penryn are used to playing on the best surface on the SWPL and the pitch today was hard, bobbley and not fit for this level of football despite the Newquay groundsmans best efforts, saying that, the Truro pitch on tues was diabolical for SWPL let alone Gas League and having said that part 2, Tivertons pitch was bad when our U14s went there a few weeks back, rock hard, bare patches all over and not good for any side wanting to play football, although Watford v Wimbledon from the 80s would have loved route one, that being the only way you could have played on the 3 poor pitches mentioned.

G have said they will work on it during the summer but IF we get 3 months of sun, they will have no chance, same with the other 2 Tivvy and Truro unless sprinklers are installed.

Penryn were the better side and deserved the win.