Cornwall Football Forum

Big Fish Small Pond.

After observing many football matches this season, I have been able to make observations on a numerous amount of players. It has come to my attention that there are many players that have chose not to challenge themselves this season and play at a level that does not meet there standard. 

In my opinion, this has a massive knock on effect on Cornish football as a whole.  througout the Cornish leagues, there are a fair few teams who are doing exceptionally well due to the quality of players they have in there team. Understandably, players should have the right to enjoy there football, however, should players who are capable of playing combination football or higher be playing in the Trelawney league week in week out. 

MABE FC were a team full of players that were doing exceptionally well and consistently beating teams several leagues above them a couple of seasons ago. However, the majority had taken the step up to to Falmouth town to challenge and arguably they are now succeeding and doing very well both on and off the pitch. 

How can we stop these wannabe ‘superstars’ rinsing the Trelawney leagues and ruining the enjoyment for those just looking to play football as a hobby on a Saturday? Control measures need to be put into place, but how? 

I have also heard viscous rumours that certain Trelawney league teams are paying players, whether that’s goal bonuses or a weekly match fee, it is still not acceptable!

GreenTeddy

3 hours ago, GreenTeddy said:

After observing many football matches this season, I have been able to make observations on a numerous amount of players. It has come to my attention that there are many players that have chose not to challenge themselves this season and play at a level that does not meet there standard. 

In my opinion, this has a massive knock on effect on Cornish football as a whole.  througout the Cornish leagues, there are a fair few teams who are doing exceptionally well due to the quality of players they have in there team. Understandably, players should have the right to enjoy there football, however, should players who are capable of playing combination football or higher be playing in the Trelawney league week in week out. 

MABE FC were a team full of players that were doing exceptionally well and consistently beating teams several leagues above them a couple of seasons ago. However, the majority had taken the step up to to Falmouth town to challenge and arguably they are now succeeding and doing very well both on and off the pitch. 

I think you'll find they dropped down in the first place

How can we stop these wannabe ‘superstars’ rinsing the Trelawney leagues and ruining the enjoyment for those just looking to play football as a hobby on a Saturday? Control measures need to be put into place, but how? 

Unfortunately, you can't. If payers don't want to play at a high a level as possible you can't force them. At a time when participation in sports is getting lower and lower, do we really want to put more constraints on players. Also, some of these players are actually just helping clubs to survive. Force them out of the lower leagues and we will see many more clubs folding

I have also heard viscous (exactly how thick or thin was it?) rumours that certain Trelawney league teams are paying players, whether that’s goal bonuses or a weekly match fee, it is still not acceptable! Why not? I dont agree with it personally, but if the clubs are happy (or daft) enough to pay junior players, then whats to stop them?

GreenTeddy