Cornwall Football Forum

west and east play-offs

Guest keano

Guest keano

Thought dudas has come up with a great idea, so thought it was worthy of its own Page

I was thinking about the whole promotion and relegation discussion. Looking further up the pyramid the movement between the leagues can be quite significant. In the SWPL currently there is only 1 each from East and West.

I do not know how this sounds to anyone else but something I thought about the other night. 1st place in both East and West gain automatic promotion to the Premier. 2nd and 3rd go into a play off. 2nd from East play 3rd from West and 2nd from West play 3rd from east winners play in a final, winners gaining promotion to the Premier.

This is just a thought. Personally I think it would make things interesting in all leagues, more teams would be involved in a promotion battle, new grounds to visit and new teams to play in the play off. Teams at the bottom of the premier will have more to play for.

Whats other peoples thoughts? Is it possible? Or am I just dreaming up something that can not be structured in?

I Cant see why this couldnt be done , Best if it was of a similar format to the football league play-offs , Home and away legs and then the final a 1 off match at a neutral ground ,

It would only add a week onto the season could do 1st legs on a saturday , 2nd legs on a tuesday then the final the following saturday ,

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Here are my thoughts from previous thread...

With regard to 1 up 1 down, the SWPL have the option of making changes. the Prem Div can be anything from 18-22 clubs but they have stipulated that for it to increase in future 90% of clubs must have floodlights (I'm not sure if they mean in all 3 Divs, as that just won't happen) and as of 2010-11, clubs at Step 6 SWPL Prem MUST have floodlights, although that should have been the case for next season but the SWPL got an extention on the ruling for another season.

My idea was for the Champs of E/W to go up automatically as now but the two 2nd placed teams from E/W have a two match H/A play off to be the 3rd club to go up., with 3 to come down from the Prem which could be done if they had 19 or more clubs (which they do). The balance is already unequal in E/W Divs due to clubs pulling out before/during the season. All this is on the assumption, that the clubs have the appropriate ground gradings to actually go up in the first place.

Very close in ideas Judge, I prefer the 2nd and 3rd, chance to visit a new ground home and away, then one lucky club will benefit from having a final staged at there pitch.

Either way I think it would improve the whole SWPL set up if there was more movement between the leagues, make more to play for in all 3 leagues, personally thats what football is all about, competition.

Actually Ash, I think I prefer your version. Anyone in Exeter reading this ?

Love the idea. Anything to keep clubs on their toes. Far to many non event games at the bottom end of the prem. Play offs would provide clubs with so much to play for and good crowds and more money. Bring it on. :thumbsup:

Love the idea. Anything to keep clubs on their toes. Far to many non event games at the bottom end of the prem. Play offs would provide clubs with so much to play for and good crowds and more money. Bring it on. :thumbsup:

Now that would be nice, Blazey in the Play Offs :clapper: How bad a season would that be for you boys in green ? BRING IT ON !

Guest mario

Good idea's about promotion and relegation from the prem, west and east divisions but what about the teams who do not wish to go up? (portheleven) what would happen in regards to teams who havent got the correct ground gradings? would the play off be offered to the teams who finish below them......................

should promotion be made compulsary for those teams finishing in the top spots? look at bodmin town's dominace in the prem league!

also would teams coming in to the cswp prem cope with the level of football? definatly the west league is very strong at the top but not so sure about the east? :wacko:

Guest keano

I think promotion should be made compulsary within the CSWPL. so east and west clubs who finish in promotion spots should have to take it ..... else questions should be asked what they are doing in the league in the first place.

so then the only reason a team wont be invited in to a play-off situation should be because of ground grading.

Like I said its only a idea and I have not thought everything through. However, their are problems with the current system with teams being able to refuse promotion and so forth. With the play off idea I think it would just be a case of offering it to fourth.

At the moment, correct me if I am wrong, if first do not wish to be promoted then it goes to second. So this could be applied to the play offs between 3rd and 4th.

With regards to the question about teams not being strong enough for the premier, I do not believe this to be an issue, if teams getting promoted are in the position to go up then whether they are strong enough is not for consideration. If you finish in a promotion place then you should rightly take your place in the league above, if your to weak then you are not going to survive. That is the idea of league football.

Ill say again, this is only an idea so any input is welcome. If any of the SWPL big wigs are reading I would love the feedback of whether something like this was possible or is their to many complications.

:smiley20: