Cornwall Football Forum

Darren Fletcher's red card

JOKE!!!! Ref = :SM_carton:

Yep it was a shocker and he will miss the final! and you can't appeal !! what a load of bollocks not even a foul! :angry2:

Absolute travesty of justice.

How can there be no appeal? Innocent until proven guilty but not according to FIFA!

Sorry to sound a nob but what comes around goes around :yahoo::yahoo: :yahoo:

Guest Man on the Post

United can't appeal the red card, but what would happen if the referee said he made a mistake? Anyone know? There are many examples in the Premiership of red cards being reduced to yellow where the referees have admitted making a mistake.

Yep it was a shocker and he will miss the final! and you can't appeal !! what a load of bollocks not even a foul! :angry2:

Absolute travesty of justice.

How can there be no appeal? Innocent until proven guilty but not according to FIFA!

Sorry to sound a nob but what comes around goes around :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Well what about last years cup tie versus Pompey?? Yes penalties sometimes you can't change but this guy is going to miss out on one of the biggest days in his career and he shouldn't be as we all know!! Fifa should overturn this decision :angry2:

Guest chinner

MAN UTD never offered spurs a replay when the referee admitted a blatant error what cost both spurs points and liverpool a chance of the league and b4 all u manc fans say we scored 4 more goals anyone who knows anything about football knows that penalty(sorry dive)changed that game 100% SWINGS AND ROUNDABOUTS I FEEL

MAN UTD never offered spurs a replay when the referee admitted a blatant error what cost both spurs points and liverpool a chance of the league and b4 all u manc fans say we scored 4 more goals anyone who knows anything about football knows that penalty(sorry dive)changed that game 100% SWINGS AND ROUNDABOUTS I FEEL

exactly!!

:yahoo::yahoo: :yahoo:

United can't appeal the red card, but what would happen if the referee said he made a mistake? Anyone know? There are many examples in the Premiership of red cards being reduced to yellow where the referees have admitted making a mistake.

Perhaps, but the referee didn't make a mistake with this one, did he?

Perhaps, but the referee didn't make a mistake with this one, did he?

So you never watched the game then?? :D :D

Yup. Watched the game. Fabregas one on one. Fletcher no chance of getting the ball without fouling Fabregas. A foul anywhere on the pitch, including the penalty area.

I must say that he did do extremely well in getting his foot to the ball. But only after making contact with the player and bringing him down.

And by the way, IF that was a foul on Ronaldo just before he scored his brilliant first goal, then surely you would agree that it was a foul on Fabregas?

Not bitter. The right team won. No complaints. It's sad that Fletcher misses the final. But what was he thinking?

Yup. Watched the game. Fabregas one on one. Fletcher no chance of getting the ball without fouling Fabregas. A foul anywhere on the pitch, including the penalty area.

I must say that he did do extremely well in getting his foot to the ball. But only after making contact with the player and bringing him down.

And by the way, IF that was a foul on Ronaldo just before he scored his brilliant first goal, then surely you would agree that it was a foul on Fabregas?

Not bitter. The right team won. No complaints. It's sad that Fletcher misses the final. But what was he thinking?

Well if you ever played the game you would know that one!!

Play football every week for my beloved Gulval!

So would you let fibreglass run unchallenged? Anyway off to bed and got a final to look forward to!! Just hope it's Chelsea we play as Barca's antics did my head in last week!! :c:

Guest Jim

I take it you agree it was a penalty then. Night night.

It was never a penalty! Replays clearly show Fletcher got the ball, and its a complete injustice that he has to miss the final.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Sky Sports News, Rooney says that Fletcher admits he DIDN'T touch the ball, does Fergie know about this, will Rooney or Fletcher be bombed out of the club for not sticking to the party line of deny everything ?

Man Ure in Rome, nice holiday for the Chavs, shame Chelsea or Barca will do them.

On first instance it looked a pen, therefore the ref got it right. With replays and different angles then it shows that Fletcher got a nick on the ball.

Tough one, bit of discretion maybe was needed in not sending him off. But ah well, shame it wasn't Rooney or Ronaldo!

Gomez wasn't sent off though......

Exactly Nige mate.. Surely he SHOULD have been if he did indeed bring down Carrick?. Last defender was well and truly left for dead and Gomes then made the superb and very brave save but was immediately punished (as were his whole team). If it was a foul, he should have walked. Is that not right?.

Do the rules not state that if a player is denied a goalscoring opportunity, the offender must be shown a red card?. In the cases of both Gomes and Fletcher, this is APPARANTLY what happened, therefore surely one ref got it spot on (last night) and the other ref got it wrong??. OR were they both wrong and should therefore be put in the middle of St Just town square with with just their underwear and wrist and ankle restraints and left for the locals to punish as they deem necessary?. :o

Oh dear Stig - and I thought you were a good referee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am, take a look at the incident again but this time do not look at the ball, look at Fletchers left leg, you will see that it comes into the back of the other player, Fletchers right leg then comes down infront of the players legs, thus causing, what is known in refereeing circles as a scissor tackle, very dangerous.

The laws also states that a foul should be given against a challenger *in words to the effect of* that when challenging for the ball, if a player makes contact with his oppenent first before the ball then a direct free kick shoul dbe awarded, or a penalty kick if this occured within the penalty area.

It was a stupid and reckless challenge that got what it deserved within the laws of the game, put it another way, if this was the last minute of the last match of the season and the score was 0-0 and Newquay was on the attack and needed a win to be promoted, would you still claim that this was not a foul?

I rest my case. x

Guest Man on the Post

It was a stupid and reckless challenge

I really don't see how it was stupid. A player in a millisecond must decide whether to make the tackle or not. He does not have time to weigh up all the pros and cons of what or may not happen! Fletcher made a judgement that he could get to the ball and he did! Perhaps in the end it was the wrong decision but certainly not stupid. Stig, is every wrong decision you make a stupid one? :D

It was a stupid and reckless challenge

I really don't see how it was stupid. A player in a millisecond must decide whether to make the tackle or not. He does not have time to weigh up all the pros and cons of what or may not happen! Fletcher made a judgement that he could get to the ball and he did! Perhaps in the end it was the wrong decision but certainly not stupid. Stig, is every wrong decision you make a stupid one? :D

Agreed, how come refs ALWAYS bleat on about having a split second to make their own decisions, yet when a player does the same thing, he's regarded as "stupid and reckless"??. Seems to me that the ref in this case and the ref at Old Trafford 2 weeks ago are both "stupid and wreckless"??. Or are double standards allowed within the refereeing fraternity? :rolleyes:

Underwear ? In St Just ? We don't need underwear, Coopsie ! Are you saying we've gone soft ? Wrist and ankle restraints....that's more like it. Got any goats ?

Blatant penalty. Excellent decision: courageous refereeing. Shame it wasn't the diver Ronaldo or the lunatic Rooney. I bet he and Barton are related.

Doesn't matter what side the Red Scum put out: Chelsea will cream them.

:D

He went for the ball, got the man and the ball, it was a mistake by him and it was a stupid and needless tackle to make with his team being 3-0 up, watch it again from behind and tell me you wouldn't have come to the same decision as the ref.

Ask Fletcher now if he thought it was a mistake to go for the ball, especially with his right leg and I'll bet you he'll say yes. ask him if it was stupid to try and get the ball, his actions caused his team to concede a penalty, go down to ten men and put him out of the final.........still think it wasn't a stupid tackle?

Fletcher took the opponent before the ball with a scissor tackle, right decision.

Other views

Guest Man on the Post

Stig, is every wrong decision you make a stupid one?

You seem to have avoided the question!

With regard to the 'other views' I refer you to one of my favourite quotations:-

The fact that an opinion is widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible." - Bertrand Russell