Cornwall Football Forum

Throgmorton Cup final

Guest Uncle Albert

Guest Uncle Albert

Result:

Bodmin Town 2 Ivybridge Town 1 (aet). Attendance: 552.

Sponsors' man of the match: Craig Swiggs.

Bodmin complete the double.

Ivybridge were very unlucky in losing the game. Had they took their chances then the game would have been over by half time. Ivybridge will still be wondering how they managed to not score more than the one they did with the amount of clear cut chances they had.

Ivybridge dominated the first half and the Bodmins strikers hardly had a look in. The 1 - 0 score line at half time didnt really reflect the dominance of Ivybridge.

10 min into the second half the ref awarded Bodmin a free kick after he had judged that an Ivybridge defender had fouled the striker some 35 yards out. The free kick was blasted into the pentaly box which took a deflection before ending up in the Ivybridge net.

The longer the game went on Bodmin were coming into the game more and Ivybridge found themsevles defending that bit more. Chances for both teams come and went and either team could have won it. At the end of full time scores were level.

7 mins was left of extra time when a Bodmin corner was taken and was missed by everyone and sailed into the Ivybridge net.

The final whistle went for the end of extra time. The final score: Ivybridge 1 - 2 Bodmin.

The MoM went to a Bodmin player!

The officals had an ok game, a couple of strange decisions which had the crowd bewilered, but thats football.

Congratulations to both teams for a well hard fought fair game.

It’s a little disappointing that well over three hours since the game finished, and very few postings!

Anyway, having read your thoughts The Villains, I would say that a fair few many Bodmin followers would say that they in fact deserved to win the game!

They had to firstly field a goally that I think left the whole playing and managerial teams a little apprehensive. I think Bodmin looked far better at the back after his injury and early departure. A goally that can’t kick immediately makes his back line deeper, but once Luke Hodge took over, this problem disappeared.

Yes, I agree Ivybridge had Bodmin penned back for most of the first half, but apart from one glorious sitter, I can’t recall too many clear cut chances for the Devon side.

However, I felt more hopeful of Bodmin getting something out of the game when they had a far brighter five minutes or so going into the break. Up until then, Ivybridge had their name heading for the massive cup up for grabs. But at only 1-0, who would write off the League champions?

As for the Bodmin equaliser, well from where I was, it looked as if the Ivybridge ‘keeper Dave Painter made a mess of stopping a very well driven dead-ball effort from Mark Berry! Not sure about a deflection, and I believe you might be doing the Bodmin striker an injustice.

The winning goal in extra time – by this stage I think Bodmin looked the stronger and well, what can you say about the goal – defensive frailty! Have to say, not even sure who is claiming it!

The man of the match – I actually thought either Steve Simmonds or Tom Chambers personally. Or the Ivybridge no 7 – although you could say that if he had been more ruthless, Ivybridge would have won it!

As for the officals – best left as you said - “an ok game”. Ivybridge may have had a penalty. Bodmin had a couple of free-kicks against them when they made absolutely no contact with an Ivybridge player! But then, the men in black are only human!

Whatever, I agree on one thing – it certainly was a “hard fought fair game.”

A second League and Cup double for Bodmin-not what the new SWPL had hoped for but I suppose its up to the rest of the league clubs to raise their standards for next season.

Wher was Kevin Miller and who started in the Bodmin goal?

Well done to utility player Luke Hodge

Congratulations to Bodmin on completing the double.

I wonder how many of the current squad will be lured to Falmouth and Mr Carey`s budget though.

I expect a lot of teams will be trying to stretch their budgets for next season, and keep the squads they have. Clubs will have to watch bank balances very carefully, but at the same time should understand that players have become used to the expenses that they can demand. It will be very difficult for a player to accept less money for doing the same job.

It’s a little disappointing that well over three hours since the game finished, and very few postings!

As for the Bodmin equaliser, well from where I was, it looked as if the Ivybridge ‘keeper Dave Painter made a mess of stopping a very well driven dead-ball effort from Mark Berry! Not sure about a deflection, and I believe you might be doing the Bodmin striker an injustice.

I stand corrected........ I have been told that the keeper said he saw it late and the ball was swerving in all directions..... just from where i was in the stand, the way the ball moved up at the last second it looked like it took a deflection in front of the keeper.

Guest legend2

not that you would be bias dave being from cornwall,ha,it took a small deflection of me that put dave off,but think the ivys can hold there haed up they had a great season

Guest oldhat

Ivybridge can certainly hold their heads high. They probably won it on chances, and can feel aggrieved not to have been awarded a penalty. Having said that, Bodmin had their share of good chances. It seems Bodmins winning mentality, and superior fitness pulled them through. They are the League Champions twice over after all!

Good game, great surface, and a thoroughly professionally organised event. Congratulations to all involved.

Whatever, I agree on one thing – it certainly was a “hard fought fair game.”

not that you would be bias dave being from cornwall,ha,it took a small deflection of me that put dave off,but think the ivys can hold there haed up they had a great season

Dave Deacon - I stand by my first statement, took a deflection, before it reached the keeper!!

Good luck to Ivybridge tonight in what could see them finishing 3rd, a great improvement on last years league postion. :thumbsup: