Cornwall Football Forum

Saltash United v St Blazey

With 10th place gone and chances of FA Cup qualification out of the window (unless the FA wants to do us any favours, which of course they should!), Bobby Oaten's men travel to Saltash for the last game of the season.

Having recently beaten Saltash convincingly at our place, I fancy the green and blacks to get another good result tomorrow night.

COME ON YOU GREENS :c:

Saltash United 2-2 St Blazey

Attendance 90 odd (15 from St Blazey)

Probably about the right result as St Blazey proved once again they can live with the best in this league. 1-1 at half time, Blazey scored early in the second half against the run of play. Saltash drew level deep in injury time.

The down point of the evening was speaking to an SWPL official who said our chances of FA Cup next year are now basically zero. Gutting for a club like ours.

Many thanks to Bobby Oaten for a cracking season with plenty of ups and downs. Without a good manager in charge and some stability we could have been in real trouble this year, but we have proved we can more than hold our own in this league.

ROLL ON PRE-SEASON.

Up the Blazey!!

Judge, to be honest im glad to see the back of this season. Didnt go tonight as i had a rearranged pool match. At least we top of that league and i have singles semi ko tomorrow and triples semi final ko on thursday. One way to see some silverware this season!! :thumbsup:

Dissapointed we wont see yo in the prem next season. No offence but trips to Ivybridge and Elburton are as dull as they get!! My own view, no one elses. :drink:

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Not over til the fat lady sings... catch her gig at SWPL HQ in Exeter on Thurs Night !

That will be one very thin straw I'm clutching but until then... who knows !

Too many drawn matches -20 points lossed .

If St.B' had won half of those 10 games those extra 10 points would have made the F.A.Cup cut.

The record number of drawn games for Blazey is 13, 1984-85 according to FCHD site.

With a number of clubs likely to be wound up eg. Merthyr and Fisher -will the F.A move the 'goalposts' to make up the numbers for F.A.Cup entry.

Dan -did the SWPL official say anything about fighting for more Cornish/Devon clubs to enter due to the low number from the SW ?

Judge - on what grounds? I asked SWPL official last night whether a scenario is possible for Pz and Newquay to be promoted, he said "no" - only one up from 1W and that's not moving. (he seemed sketchy on teams coming up from 1E - apparently Bovey are far from certain, but it still would not leave room for any more from 1W).

Mike - chap basically said there was no chance below 10th and the only reason we have got down to 10th is because so many grounds aren't up to it. Not good news I'm afraid.

QUOTE Judge - on what grounds? I asked SWPL official last night whether a scenario is possible for Pz and Newquay to be promoted, he said "no" - only one up from 1W and that's not moving. (he seemed sketchy on teams coming up from 1E - apparently Bovey are far from certain, but it still would not leave room for any more from 1W).

I wonder if that ruling would be so strictly applied if the Devon Clubs had grounds with the grading and the teams to obviously compete in the premier????? Personally the prem is all the worse for no Newquay, Penryn. St austell (when they sort there facilities) and Porthleven(when they can). These are all proper football clubs and not some tin shack in the middle of nowhere, unti they apply some common sense I dont see how this league improves football at our level in this neck of the woods!

Bovey have done some sterling work on there ground over the last twelve months, pitch is in good condition, they now have changing rooms beside the pitch and i am led to believe planning permission for floodlights has been in place for a while. I believe the clubhouse which has always been based about mile up the road at there old pitch "the rec" near Bovey swimming pool will not be replaced initially. They have some good guys on commitee so wouldn't be surprised if tthey meet criteria.

That was my understanding to, Town & pitch about a two miles of Dual carriageway so easy to find for you guys, couple of pubs quite close to the pitch. Buses every hour from Newton Abbot (nearest Train Station) to Bovey for those who like to be more adventurous. It will be interesting to see how they get on. Strange season with Newton Abbot losing two teams out the Prem, So i suppose Bovey now becomes Bucks Derby game. Be interesting to see if 90% of teams will have floodlights by next April to increase league by two teams, Newquay would be good for us for obvious reason and the league probably needs a Exeter or East devon team although that would be a long trip for you guys.