Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay v Penzance Crowd

After going to the Devon Premier Cup Final and witnessing the size of the crowd between Boca Seniors and Bovey Tracey which had an official attendence of of 400+ and watching the videos of the Newquay/Penzance match on this forum where for most of the video's no crowd is visible i was wodnering if someone can confirm that the attendence of 451 stated is a true reflection as from the clips shown hardly any crowd is their which is also evident on www.cornwall-photos.com.? <_< Not that i'm saying the crowd wasn't their but would just like clarifcation.

On a final note well done toNewquay hopefully if things go your way we wont have to make that long long journey to Penzance next season

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

The piccies are decpetive as the majority of the crowd are either in the main stand (100 approx) and the rest (250+) gathered in the side covered terrace toward the tea bar. This terrace was about 3 or 4 deep and runs for halfway down the pitch, there is always a lot of folk who stand in what was known as 'hellfire corner' by the tea bar but they have been strangely quiet for most of this season. There were another 100 or so on the uncovered terracing and 25 or so by the home dug out. Having looked at the vids on youtube (search for robbosdad) again, I would definately say the crowd given is correct.

The crowd was counted by RedDel who went round the ground with a clicker (bouncers counter as I call them) and Phil Hiscox seemed to be happy with the figure. Those of us in the stand initially thought 380 or so but without actually counting, it is difficult to state accurately.

Newquay have always had supporters that cannot attend on saturdays due to work (indeed I have to book 12 months in advance to get the Sats I'm scheduled to work off), so perhaps next season, we can take Penzances example and play more on a friday night.

Obviously, I hope that we get to the Prem sooner rather than later but you can be sure, that no matter where we are in the league or whatever Div we are in, the Newquay Loyal will always be there. Great to hear about Bucklands fanstastic away support today at Falmouth, lets hope that we meet up with all our Devon friends soon.

I would say it was pretty spot on, normally the crowd seems to stop at the turnstile, and its unusual to get people standing to the left of that, but there must have been a good 80-100 or so along that side on Friday.

If I say anything about crowds Peppermint always jumps on me but I must say my guess started at 350 but as more came in I upped it to 390 at the start of the match and then to 430 about half-way through the 1st half. So 451 is about right with all the hangers-on.

Decent crowd, enough to pay the wages at Newquay for a couple of weeks.

Good result for Newquay but Pz just wanted to extend the season a bit longer to give Callington a decent crowd next week and to let Newquay still think they're in with a chance :P

Better book my seat on the coaches to Dartmouth, Witheridge, etc for next season. :D

We could play Newquay in a friendly next season so Judge and co won't feel left out in the cold of Cornish football.

If I say anything about crowds Peppermint always jumps on me but I must say my guess started at 350 but as more came in I upped it to 390 at the start of the match and then to 430 about half-way through the 1st half. So 451 is about right with all the hangers-on.

Decent crowd, enough to pay the wages at Newquay for a couple of weeks.

Good result for Newquay but Pz just wanted to extend the season a bit longer to give Callington a decent crowd next week and to let Newquay still think they're in with a chance :P

Better book my seat on the coaches to Dartmouth, Witheridge, etc for next season. :D

We could play Newquay in a friendly next season so Judge and co won't feel left out in the cold of Cornish football.

It was very nice to meet so many faces from PZ that frequent the forum, St Darren and Callymike also turned up (I think Mike is actually a closet Peppermint, he seems to be at more of our games than Everton Dave lol).

If PZ go up, then it will be deserved, we still have our hopes but it is PZ who are in the driving seat. Cracking game, superb atmosphere (not that Blazey can remember those) and yes two of the best sides and fans in Cornwall showing the Prem what they are missing. One way or another, we will miss our 6 points next season from PZ :thumbsup:

Guest Peppermint

Oh dear CTB - obviously the loss of your mobile phone seems to have upset you more than being beaten.

All I stated re the Boxing Day fixture was that you were not thee and it is very difficult to gauge the crowd size from random photos.

You were at Mount Wise on Friday so obviously you have an idea of the crowd size. All I will say is that none other than our very well respected and hard working League Secretary Phil Hiscox was in attendance on both occasions and was happy to confirm both figures quoted and he indeed did his own count.

When you state CTB that the gate money will pay the players for two games how very far from the truth you are. I will have the good grace not to speculate or comment on Penzance's money paid out and it would be nice if you refrained from the sarcastic remarks,

I have stated on a few occasions none of our superb players will get very rich playing for the Peppermints but they are all a real credit to the Club and I feel very priviliged to be a Chairman of Newquay Football Club.Whatever happens for the remaining games both The Magpies and The Peppermints have had great seasons and are very lucky to both excellent managers.

LOL, he's got to have a pop at Blazey in a post which has nothing to do with us! From what I've seen of SWPL West (and I've seen quite a bit), it wouldn't add a lot in the way of quality (apart from a few players like Nanks who could easily make the transition), but of course, more clubs with floodlights and stands are what is needed.

Would be interested to hear from people would went to Mount Wise on Friday and then Blaise Park on Saturday and could give an honest opinion of who had the better fans. "Occasional chants of red army and peppermints" simply don't compare with the 30 or so Blazey fans behind the goal who sang, chanted and shouted throughout the whole match, and we're not even involved in a title race!

Best atmosphere in Cornwall = Blaise Park (and that includes Treyew Road). You may have had 451 spectators, but we had around 100 fans, and that's a big difference.

You enjoy your trips to the likes of Perranporth, St Austell and Plymstock next season, we'll be enjoying the big crowds against Penzance thank you very much.

Lets hope we meet in th FA Vase at the very least Dan. No one said that the 451 were all Newquay fans, indeed 70-80 made the trip from PZ, about the same again were neutrals and 300 Newquay fans and only 40 or so actually making any noise in the main stand (the wags love being with the Newquay Loyal but don't really sing, we will have to teach them to be Cornwalls Girls very Aloud !).

Pop along to Truro on Tues, see how good we really are on and off the pitch and then judge for yourself ! All fans are biased towards their own club, biggest, best, noisiest etc... but lets be honest, Blazey have not been the same since Trev went and now PZ are top dogs as you may find out next season (although we still have a little say in what happens before next Sat)

It's alright for you Judge, but guess who I've got to root for on Wendnesday night when Newquay go to Treyew Road. It's sticks in my throat but obviously I want the men in white to win.

Look I can't even say the name. You know how much I love them and now that you've gone all lovey-dovey with their supporters, I feel more alone.

I LOVE THE JUDGE!

Newquay - please get yourselves promoted next season AFTER Penzance. Matches with the likes of Torpoint, Saltash, Bodmin, Liskeard, etc are great but don't have the same meaning and crowd pulling potential of matches with Newquay, PZ etc.

Newquay and Penzance in the SWPL Premier would be great for Cornish football and give incentive for other SWPL West clubs to have a go.

It's alright for you Judge, but guess who I've got to root for on Wendnesday night when Newquay go to Treyew Road. It's sticks in my throat but obviously I want the men in white to win.

Look I can't even say the name. You know how much I love them and now that you've gone all lovey-dovey with their supporters, I feel more alone.

The game at Truro is Tues night, you can cheer Newquay on knowing that all you have to do is beat Cally... or are you that worried that they will do a job on you !

COME ON YOU REDS !

Guest Peppermint

Danblazey states that players in the Division 1West would hardly add quality to the Premier League - as someone who has seen all of the Premier League teams this season at one time or another I have to disagree.

Paul Hampshire, Paul Robertson, Reski, Harrington, Body and Nancarrow are just a few for a start that are the equal or better of anything in the so called elite league. I could add a number of other players that would grace any league.

I feel the atmosphere at Blaise Park is not the same as it was a few years ago but that is probably something to do with the lack of success and to be perfectly frank the standard of the players compared with Trevor Mewton's reign.

I'm amazed that crowds are counted by head numbers. Surely the true number is what comes through the turnstyles plus club officials which as I understand it are counted as well.

Danblazey states that players in the Division 1West would hardly add quality to the Premier League - as someone who has seen all of the Premier League teams this season at one time or another I have to disagree.

Paul Hampshire, Paul Robertson, Reski, Harrington, Body and Nancarrow are just a few for a start that are the equal or better of anything in the so called elite league. I could add a number of other players that would grace any league.

I feel the atmosphere at Blaise Park is not the same as it was a few years ago but that is probably something to do with the lack of success and to be perfectly frank the standard of the players compared with Trevor Mewton's reign.

While I don't know all these names, I feel that these probably all play for the top two or three teams in the league, so will inevitably adapt to the SWPL Premier. In recent weeks, I have watched matches at Godolphin, Mousehole, Vospers, Plymstock and Wendron, and I stand by my opinion.

A look at the Div 1 West table shows that the top 6 are all ex SWP league sides, says it all really. Those that come up from ECPL and Combo are just not good enough...

SW Peninsula Div One West

Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts

1 Penzance 31 23 3 5 105 39 66 72

2 Newquay 30 22 2 6 92 43 49 68

3 St Austell 29 19 7 3 82 38 44 64

4 Porthleven 30 19 2 9 93 51 42 59

5 Penryn Athletic 31 19 2 10 68 50 18 59

6 Callington Town 28 17 4 7 71 42 29 55

Excludes Cally v St Awful result, but as most folk know already Cally should be awarded 3 points.

Obviosuly, Millbrook are the only ex SWP side to not feature in the top 6, but they have improved dramatically since CALLYMIKE has joined them, no doubt Bunney will take them up there next season BUT NOT ON FRIDAY NIGHT !

The Prem has clubs that do not deserve to be there, The 1 West has clubs that should be in the Prem. It will take a few seasons with just 1 up and 1 down to sort it out. Having said that, if the 4 Prem Devon clubs do not have the right grading next season, then who knows who may go up from the West in 2010.

I will have money on Newquay being in Prem by 2010/11, it could even be next Sat if things go our way !

Judge as i have told you before but you don't seem to get the message and anyone who has been to Edge Down Park over the last couple weeks will confirm that the work for Witheridge to be up to standard has already started and i tell you once again FLOODLIGHTS WILL BE AT EDGE DOWN PARK NEXT SEASON SO STOP LOOKING FOR LOOPHOLES INTO THE BACKDOOR AND IF YOU SAY YOUR NOT LOOKING FOR A LOOPHOLE WHY MENTION HOW MANY DEVON TEAMS COULD BE RELEGATED NEXT YEAR WHICH THE LEAGUE COULD FILL WITH WEST SIDES YOU ARE TOTALLY DIRESPECTFUL OF THE DEVON PREMIER DIVISION CLUBS AND EASTERN DIVISION.

CHANCES ARE YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY OF THESE TEAMS PLAY.

:angry2:

Guest Peppermint

NDD -congratulations on your upgrading of facilities at your ground - I have not been to your ground but I have seen your team play on a few occasions this season.

I can assure you that Newquay Football Club have no interest in getting promotion through any loophole or back door. If we manage to do it on the field over the next few years then so be it but in no other way do the Peppermints go up.I am certainly not disrectful to any Devon team but I will add that on Friday evening the match at Mount Wise was a credit to both teams and a superb advert for Cornish football. In my humble opinion a number of the top teams in the Division 1 West would be quite competitive in the Premier League.

NDD -congratulations on your upgrading of facilities at your ground - I have not been to your ground but I have seen your team play on a few occasions this season.

I can assure you that Newquay Football Club have no interest in getting promotion through any loophole or back door. If we manage to do it on the field over the next few years then so be it but in no other way do the Peppermints go up.I am certainly not disrectful to any Devon team but I will add that on Friday evening the match at Mount Wise was a credit to both teams and a superb advert for Cornish football. In my humble opinion a number of the top teams in the Division 1 West would be quite competitive in the Premier League.

I have no argument with you Peppermint and from what i understand you are the Chairman at Newquay so good luck for the rest of this season and next. However that idiot Judge brings up this same thing time and time again and adds the little niggly comments like Some of the Teams dont deserve to be in the Premier Division. who is he to say they dont deserve to be their? the teams in the Premier finished in a postion in their respective league ( SOUTH WESTERN LEAGUE AND DEVON LEAGUE) to earn the right to play in the Premier of the SWPL.

and another niggly comment from hime was:

and if the 4 Prem Devon clubs do not have the right grading next season, then who knows who may go up from the West in 2010.

This man is disrespectful of the Devon sides and disrespecful of the Eastern sides and i don't understand it because if i remember rightly from a previous post HE ISN'T A CORNISHMAN HIMSELF so don't understand his gripe with Devon. :angry2::angry2:

with that said rant over

Judge as i have told you before but you don't seem to get the message and anyone who has been to Edge Down Park over the last couple weeks will confirm that the work for Witheridge to be up to standard has already started and i tell you once again FLOODLIGHTS WILL BE AT EDGE DOWN PARK NEXT SEASON SO STOP LOOKING FOR LOOPHOLES INTO THE BACKDOOR AND IF YOU SAY YOUR NOT LOOKING FOR A LOOPHOLE WHY MENTION HOW MANY DEVON TEAMS COULD BE RELEGATED NEXT YEAR WHICH THE LEAGUE COULD FILL WITH WEST SIDES YOU ARE TOTALLY DIRESPECTFUL OF THE DEVON PREMIER DIVISION CLUBS AND EASTERN DIVISION.

CHANCES ARE YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY OF THESE TEAMS PLAY.

:angry2:

And now read my comments again...

The Prem has clubs that do not deserve to be there, The 1 West has clubs that should be in the Prem. It will take a few seasons with just 1 up and 1 down to sort it out. Having said that, IF the 4 Prem Devon clubs do not have the right grading next season, then who knows who may go up from the West in 2010.

The operative word is IF. Now calm down and look forward to either a visit from Newquay or PZ next season and probably whichever one dosn't make it by Sat, to do so the following season.

Guest local_football_supporter

Obviosuly, Millbrook are the only ex SWP side to not feature in the top 6, but they have improved dramatically since CALLYMIKE has joined them, no doubt Bunney will take them up there next season

are you sure you have thought this statement through ? what makes you think they will be top 6 next season. bunney is a pretender. do you or anyone else honestly think he get them at that end of the table?

are you sure you have thought this statement through ? what makes you think they will be top 6 next season. bunney is a pretender. do you or anyone else honestly think he get them at that end of the table?

Having spoken to a few folk including Bunney, I understand that there will be some interesting moves and signings made down that way in the summer. Definately top half and may well make top 6 if what I have heard is right.

:P:P:P:P so you're saying the premier need quality like me as well lol

hey local i aint replying to make myself look a **** that i already seem to be but you seriously need to stop wanting to get reactions out of people cause its plain sad. you are sad. judge was only stating what he thinks next season. put it this way, penzance have money yeah and finished well down the league last season. now if you had come on here start of last season and said nah penzance would never be top 6 you would have been like no they wont.

and with millbrook mate there isnt a lot of money this season, but dane has done a great job and is building for the future, 1 season is not long enough, season by season. we beat penryn drew with porthleven, beat godolphin in the last 4 games. doesnt that tell you our form to take into next season that even the top sides can get beaten by "bottom of the table" so saying bunney is a pretender, you think a manager who gets wins out of teams are pretenders.

i wouldnt like to say where any club would like to finish because the league speaks for itself at the end of the day. why dont you pop to your local bookies see what odds they got for next season