Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall Youth win Cup

Guest Peppermint

Congratulations to Tommy Matthews, James Ross and their squad - throughly deserved win and it was nice to see the two injured lads included as part of the team.

Good sized crowd that enjoyed a game in the sunshine and on a great playing surface as always at Penryn.

You have every right to be justly proud David.

Guest Peppermint

Cornwall 3 Oxfordshire 1 - all 3 goals scored by the impressive Liam Eddy. Not sure of the visitors scorer.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

What was the score? and scorers?

3-1 to Cornwall. Liam Eddy hat-trick but it wasn't a one man show. Every young Cornish lad put in 100% and had the majority of the first half, the Oxon boys just didn't seem to have the same class as our lads. Lots of talent on show, and if that side were to play SWPL Div 1 West together, they would finish top half.

Reasonable crowd and nice to see Newquay 1st teamers come along to support Orrin Crowle, just a shame he couldn't round off a great weekend with a goal. Azzer and the young Bude lad sat in the dugout for the whole match and you could just sense they wanted to kick every ball.

Well done boys, Cornish football has a bright future !

Hi the starting 11 were:

Pennington

Edwards, Sabo, Blizzard, Conibear

Nicholls, Brokenshire, Kemp, Slateford

Eddy, Hopcroft

Subs:

Crowle, Gibson, Holland, Wills, Rosevear.

Thanks for your kind words, I know the players will appreciate it, and most of all, thanks for your support this afternoon. The Judge was there with the flags etc and a great Cornish contingent gave some very partisan support especially when Oxforshire chucked everything they had at us.

Sure, Liam will take all the headlines for a fantastic hat-trick, and no one will deny him that, but it was a real team performance, real energy and commitment from everybody.

We're all delighted especially for Aaron and Liam who sat with us on the bench, they were right behind the team and gave the players encouragement throughout. We hope their injuries are quickly healed and that they make a full recovery.

Thanks again for all the support you've given over the season.

Tommy

Guest Monty

Well done to lads of Cornwall and the management team, i could just see that Cornwall would do well because the management team are second to none, the way it should be run with qualified coaches doing it the right way instead of armchair supporters doing it the way they feel is best. :c:

Guest retiredscorer

certaun players have a v special qualtity - saw it on sat Tom - areal vision and talent, it;s rare and should be encouraged - your defence say's it all mate - play from the back !

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Well done to Tommy and all the Cornish lads. :c:

Just one other point, there were alot of people coming on this forum a few months back giving Tommy grief about his squad selection. I think this result ends the argument! No apology on here yet!!

I think most folk have players at their clubs who they think should be selected but it is down to the bosses, who obviously know the game inside out, to select the best squad. They go out and watch players from Bude to St Just to make sure they have the right lads and have proved they know best !

As I have already said, the players I saw on Sat and the two on crutches would all perform at SWPL 1 or higher with no probs (Liam Eddy already does for Truro Brit Gas team), so all credit to the bosses, just shows that some folk don't know their onions after all.

Chrissy Luxton will be a star next season, already shown his worth for SWPL Newquay since turning 16 in Feb !!!

Good point from Telithowitis about the comments at the start of the season, but i suppose you cant blame a parent/manager/coach for feeling their player should be in Tommy's squad. but in the end it comes down to the management and the cup sat on Tommy's shelf is proof that the selection was correct.

The other point of discusion at the selection stage was - the player has to be playing at combo or above.

Having watched most of the games by the youth team this season all the opponents have been of a very good standard with several players of the standard of pro youth set-ups.

Therefore i think unless the player is playing a high standard of senior football within the county he may find himself struggling with the standard required

I think 6 of the starting line-up and 9 of the squad are eligble for next season. Planned or by chance???

knowing Tommy ! Know were my money would be....

Again well done to all involved :c::c: :c:

Guest retiredscorer

pity we can't see such quality in the higher league football - put the county sqaud i the leagues !! hat off tom !!!