Cornwall Football Forum

Cally v St Austell Match ABANDONED!!

Just been informed that the Ref has just abandoned this match after he had sent Lee Whetter off and an angry reaction and backlash from St Austell followed!!

Alledgedly, the Ref threw his toys out the pram and asked the St Austell mangement if they wanted the game to be abandoned and the answer he got, was yes!!

Interesting.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I might be able to answer my own question - was it Dave Green?

A little more info coming through ..................The ref asked if St Austell wanted to abandon the game and the assistant manager, who got sent off, said yes! Jokingly possibly!

62 minutes had been completed with it 1-0 to Callington, who were about to have a penalty!!!

5 St Austell booked against one from Callington!

my view being a nuetralist now, jokingly, its nice to see callington getting refereeing decisions. i know many games where the manager has been unhappy that opposition teams have gone to callington and gained every decision to them and callington as youve seen in the last few weeks have had numerous players suspended but i guess thats football

i believe there has to be at least 70 or 80 minutes played for the match scoreline to be confirmed. having the match abandoned after 62 minutes, im sure the match will have to be re-played.

be interesting to see the ref's report. if a decision is wrong then the ref has to be big and put his hand up, but as the old saying goes a ref will never change his mind. with the RESPECT campaign in full swing, St. Austell could find themselves in deep water for there reaction possibly.

Guest bigman

ref got it right he is not there to be abused at

they was abusing the ref and he repilyed do u want this game abandoned nd the idiot said yh

well done ref 100% today

cornish chough i cannot give my view as i have been informed that i am not allowed to watch games at callington.

but they cant just ban me just because i was a former representative. their ground rules state about abusive language, or alochol etc but i havent committed any of those and plus im with millbrook next season so they have cant ban me on our visit, so mr deacon or any other higher member of the league what shall i do? i mean i really watch callington, not! but for the future i may want to scout games for my club!

I wonder what will happen here? There are a lot of things to take into account.

1,You have the imortance of the game with respect to the league and 2nd place- Probably going 2 nil down with 10 men for the last 30 mins- doesn't look like a win on the cards.

2, You have a referee abandoning a game when asking a rhetorical question-does he have any right to do this? He may have been abused- deal with it then.

3. Will this game get rearranged before the end of season deadline?

Depending on the outcome of this event may have an effect of future league games. Ref as we are losing can we abandon the game please?

Without being there or knowing any of the facts!! I think that both parties are in the wrong and look forward to seeing the outcome. With the CCFA at the helm I wouldn't like to speculate at the result of tonight.

:SM_carton:

Guest bigman

i mean i really watch callington, not! but for the future i may want to scout games for my club!

ur a idiot cally mike aint u ur not even funny

Discipline wise it will be the CCFA but the league will decide on the issue of league rules.

What if the SWPL deduct points from ST Austell that would scupper their promotion prospects.

Crikey the English language has gone out of the window on this topic. Anyone got the manual to decipher some of it.

Official Statement

Posted on the SWPL site

Wednesday 29th April : Callington Town v St Austell

The league are aware that this fixture in Division 1 West was abandoned after 63 minutes with Callington leading 1-0. After preliminary discussions with the referee the league will be awaiting his official written report and once that is received the league will file any charges deemed appropriate. No decision as to the declaring of the result or punishments imposed will be made until such time as the official report and the clubs responses to it are received by the league

Many questions to ask on this one:-

What on earth was the ref doing offering the choice of abandonment to the management of a team losing?

Why couldn't the ref deal with some grief - either by cards, use of the quiet word or by early use of the captains?

All down to man management at the end of the day, and already tonight, as a direct consequence of tonight's happenings at Callington, a ref has said to me :"I really think some refs need to man up and think of the bigger picture."

:huh:

You have to have sympathy with Callington here.Leading 1-0 and a penalty awarded in their favour,possibly to make it 2-0.Opposition player is dismissed and game is abandoned by the referee.

Only 62 minutes on the watch so the game will have to be replayed which is to St.Austell's advantage as they will start at 0-0 with eleven players.

Guest bigman

You have to have sympathy with Callington here.Leading 1-0 and a penalty awarded in their favour,possibly to make it 2-0.Opposition player is dismissed and game is abandoned by the referee.

Only 62 minutes on the watch so the game will have to be replayed which is to St.Austell's advantage as they will start at 0-0 with eleven players.

very true m8 i was there cally was allover them they could of one the game andd should of hammerd them would of be nice to but now they got to play them for a 3rd time in 2 weeks :SM_carton:

Guest Man on the Post

IF the league find St. Austell guilty of, say, a misconduct charge then surely they have the power to award the game to Callington. :unsure:

Right, this is for everyone who likes to comment, who wasn't even at the ground, and has no idea what happened!

After around 25 minutes the referee made a stupid decision in awarding Callington a freekick on the penalty spot when Whetters tackled Mason and the keeper picked it up... hmmm. From then on, I can honestly say I've never had such a poor referee (Dave Green). He was uninterested in talking to anyone about anything and continued to give ridiculous decisions, and it seemed last night was all about him, and not the 2 teams!

The crunch decision came around the 62nd minute when Brokenshire was blatently fouled in his own box. The referee waved play on and incidently the Callington winger was brought down by Whetters. The referee proceeded to show a red card, obviously resulting in the St.Austell players being unhappy. The referee wouldnt allow any St.Austell players to leave the pitch to talk to him or they would be in the book.. I was trying to tell him that i was last man (because i definately was!!) and all i was getting in return was "no you wasn't, go away".. ("go away" i think being the referees favourite words last night!) From there, Whetters was sat behind the dug out. The referee needlessly ran over to our bench telling him he needs to "leave the arena". All of the players on the pitch were telling the ref just to leave it, and continue with the game as this is what EVERYONE wanted to do. The ref continued to exchange words with what is obviously going to be an angry bench. He then stated "any more of this and i'm going to abandon the game" (not sure what he means by "this"? The only thing that happened last night was the referee completely lost control, and through his toys out of the pram) From this, our bench JOKINGLY replied "go on then" and the whistle was blown and off he went saulking. All of the players were shocked and wanted to continue the game, and I'm sure Callington towns report of him will look similar to ours!!

Having spoke to a qualified referee, I was made aware that he has to consult linesman before abandoning the game? Pretty sure this didnt happen either!

It will be an utter disgrace if it comes to St.Austell having to face some form of disciplinary action. The only action that needs to be taken is for Dave Green to retire!!! Absolutely shocking!!

The ref must of thought there was no reason to speak to u and he stuck by his dession,unless your the captain why should he speak to u.If he sent someone off the souldn't hide behind the bench that only makes things worst, no doubt that u thought he should of not been sent off who does? A decision was made right or wrong.I expect u have had some things go your way this season

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

What would life be like if we didn't all have opinions.

Depends on whose opinions you take notice of. I'm not going to make any comment on this game but can't wait for the CCFA to publish their findings... was Ben Andros one of the Linos ?

Guest Man on the Post

All of the players on the pitch were telling the ref

Sounds like the players were trying to run the game!

The ref continued to exchange words with what is obviously going to be an angry bench.

Perhaps Learner could tell us if the bench used abusive language towards the ref?

Why on earth should a referee consult an assistant before making a decision to abandon the game, also the referee was correct any player being sent off should leave the field of play and must leave the area (basically go back to the changing rooms and not stand watching the match) if he was asked to do this and refused possibly encouraged by the dugout and abuse being used by several people from the dugout then I can understand the decision to abandon the game. This is conjecture on my part as I was not at the game so could not see the incident, but reading the other posts this is an assesement of what may have occured.

Seems a pity that a Ref.should be driven to feel the need to abandon a game and Leaner's comments that he should retire just illustrates what is wrong with football at the moment.

Luckily the League rules would allow the Committee to award the game to Callington without the nonsense of a re-play.

Luckily the League rules would allow the Committee to award the game to Callington without the nonsense of a re-play.

If memory serves me correctly this is what happened last season when St Austell's game against Goonhavern was abandoned. Austell were awarded the win, being 2-1 up at the time. I'm not sure if there was any further punishment for Goonhavern though.

I wasn't there last night, so I can't comment on exactly what went on, but from a purely personal point of view, I'd rather Callington were given the three points than have the game replayed. I imagine if St Austell went on to win the replay, it would just add ammunition to some of the more troublemaking members of this forum, and I have no desire to see my club's name dragged through the mud over and over again.

Like I said, these are just my personal views, NOT those of St Austell football club. :(

Guest fromacrossthewater

Irrespective of whether the referee was having a mare or wanted to be the star of the show, it seems to me he had every right in abandoning the game if players refuse to leave the field of play or the area. Seems like the player involved was the one sulking.

It is understandable that the bench got frustrated and annoyed but that does not give them any right to give the official any abuse. In my opinion it shows a lack of control by the bench and they could have just marked the referee low and written the report expressing their views.

Guest Man on the Post

And i cant understand why all you on here commenting about something that you weren't even watching!

Presumably this is an example of what the referree faced!

This match should not,and indeed MUST not be replayed.Quite simply,Callington were blameless.Imagine a future scenario if the powers that be order the game to be replayed:Any team in the land being well beaten decide to get the game abandoned in order to have another stab at winning the game at a future date.

A very dangerous precedent could(would!) follow.

I do hope St. Austell Town are very proud of the reputation they are gaining within South West football circles. From your comment above LEANER, you have given a fine example of the type of person you are.

It would seem to me that St. Austell Town do not like abiding by the rules and if we can't accept it, tough.

It is now time for the Cornish Football Association to show some "bottle". Award the 3 points to Callington Town, deduct 15 points from them for the start of next season and fine them £500.00 .

Ive read the reports mate and I had reports of the game being texted to me......and nearly everyone saying the ref was very poor.

Maybe someone from Callington can comment as anyone saying anything from St Austell is going to be deemed as being biased!