Cornwall Football Forum

Mousehole 4 Foxhole 1

Mousehole 4 Foxhole 1

Saturday 25th April 2009

The inevitable consequence of Richard Griffin's latest inexcusable act of rank stupidity was a fifth straight defeat for the dismal Foxes, and it's hard to see where the next point is coming from, given the paucity of talent in the squad and Rowe's newest suspension. The baffling omission of Friendship, surely one of the eleven best available players on Saturday, encumbered our cause, while Adam Holland's abstruse deployment as a would-be target man left a midfield, already bereft of Bromley and Warne even before Griffin's asinine attack on Tonkin with an hour remaining, seriously short of bite. Consequently Mousehole easily won the midfield skirmishes against the out of sorts Ansell and out of his depth Mooney, while the lamentable mix-up between Prince and Ryan Holland to present James with the equaliser on twelve minutes merely epitomised the slipshod nature of recent defending. By the time Day had headed home at the second attempt four minutes later, it was already apparent that Adam Holland's tenth minute scrambled opener was likely to be as good as it was going to get, and various ensuing tactical reorganisations simply smacked of desperation.

Despite a strong wind in the Foxes' favour after the break, if anything the performance deteriorated even more, Butler's low drive on 65 being the sole effort on target. Patrick had in any event sealed the victory by then, firing into the net from a yard after shots by James and Day had each rebounded off the bar. The potential was for Mousehole to ram home their one-man advantage, and it was fortunate that James, comfortably their best player, had conveniently forgotten his shooting boots (possibly in sympathy), although he did strike a post following a strong run. As a Foxhole fightback was about as improbable as the club organising an end of season tour of Mexico, James' late caution for dissent was somewhat needless, and the visitors' misery was complete when the unchallenged Day rose to head in Patrick's corner at the death.

My fragile mood after such a woeful showing was further aggravated on the way home by the purchase of arguably the world's smallest ever portion of cod and chips.

"Do your fish get any bigger?" I asked the greasy youth clumsily wrapping my meal in a copy of the Daily Star.

"No", he lisped through yellowing teeth. "They're all dead".

Foxhole (4-3-3): Ryan Holland 5; Matt May 5 (sub. Kyle Friendship 5), Lewis Prince 5, Mark Rowe 6, Phil Hobbs 5; Andrew Butler 5, Steve Mooney 4 (sub. Steve Panter 5), Scott Ansell 5; Richard Griffin 1, Adam Holland 5, Liam Nicholls 5.

Mousehole (4-3-3): Ben Nurse; Matt Howes (sub. Caz James), Mark Trevail, Toby Cape, Richard Hall; Tom Patrick, Perran Reynolds, Barrie Prowse; Joe Day, Gerrans James, Jon Tonkin (sub. Adam Fletcher).

Referee: Mr Mike Carter (Camborne) 7.

My fragile mood after such a woeful showing was further aggravated on the way home by the purchase of arguably the world's smallest ever portion of cod and chips.

"Do your fish get any bigger?" I asked the greasy youth clumsily wrapping my meal in a copy of the Daily Star.

"No", he lisped through yellowing teeth. "They're all dead".

Thats the spirit Morsey my son!!!