Cornwall Football Forum

attracting players

i think that the set up and coaching at my club is very good, too good perhaps, players seem to come through and then disappear to other clubs sometimes for the sake of a tenner, are we gonna have to go down the payment route to keep them?

money is always going to be brought up so there's no reason why it should be an attraction in a sense that to attract a player you would need to employ a successful manager, great facilities, a good reputation outside the club and a good club history.

you also need players that play together not individually and some players like to play where they dont have to travel far.

i mean some players travel from torquay to their games, why not play for someone like gillingham town or something, more closer to home, so thats where the money issue lies again.

Guest RedDel

Money can buy a TEAM to win leagues but if you can build up the spirit of your club then it's not so important. Here at Newquay we've amalgamated our youth teams into the club (with a seperate youth committee). Jim our manager has given young players every chance and Andy our reserve team manager wants players to improve and aim for the first team. Our hope is that if a kid plays in Red and White from a young age then he will want to stay when he gets older. Only time will tell but wether we win promotion or not this year we've had a blast. We're also lucky that some of the first team players either are or are going to be involved with coaching. If everyones having fun playing then winning things is a bonus.

well scoffy being based where you are it will be hard to attract players 'cus traveling costs will affect a team like you, so you have that issue to sort first. your facilities are great and you have a good pitch to. perhaps you need a manager with good contacts as everyone knows it not what you know it who you know!

Guest Bananapitch

Wendron can't and won't attract a decent standard of player because the money is not there. Its a shame cos it can be a good club.

I think and hope Gary will do a fine job attracting players he is one of the highest placed coaches in the county going for his a licence in the summer i think, plus has connections in the college and a long playing career, just think he needs a carrot to dangle :clapper:

Wendron has a very good set up but you need to pay traveling expenses to players as they won't pay out of their own pockets to travel up to the likes of millbrook ,vospers etc.Also i think once you sign a v good and

establised player or 2 more will followand then you might be able to build a strong side(as long as your not in goal). ha :thumbsup::thumbsup: ha

as far as i am aware Grant we will still have Gary Pascoe as manager and coach etc for next season at Wendron, i know Gary has been invited to coach in canada for a period within the next few weeks but will be back in time for the new season etc etc, aside from that, have to check with Scoffy to see if Bob Claydon is coaching the keepers pre season etc and also i know some of the other players, scoffy included are doing coaching badges etc as well, all in all great set up, great bunch of lads, prob one of the best clubs i have been involved with for atmosphere and team spirit etc etc, the facilities are some of the best around, all we need now is that illusive 1 or 2 quality players to actually give us a go and then hopefully we can attract more!

i have spoken to several top players over the past season all saying what a fantastic set up and ground etc we have at Wendron and how come we cant attract players, so when i ask them themselves if they are thinking of signing then being as they think its such a fantastic setup etc i always seem to get an excuse as a reply ! so is it the "money " after all and what u have as a set up is nothing to do with it?

we lost 8 of our starting 11 at the start of this season to teams that pay, so basically had to rebuild a team with no money which meant a lot of junior players trying to step up which just in the long run isnt going to work as its to big a jump as we have found out, its a shame we lost all the players we did as every week we read in the papers them scoring for the other teams and being man of the match etc etc, frustrating!! but cna you blame them in the current climate for not turning down some money to play? or should they show loyalty and enjoy playing at a top set up? always up for debate that one and as scoffy says, the vicious circle always continues! anyway Scoffy, you goin out the Dron tomoz night to support the combo team mate? Hodgy and myself will be there so we can hold your hand lol!

It has become increasingly difficult to keep local and quality players without paying due the current climate and teams paying silly money. I see many players leave clubs for money or more money and end u;p not even playing!! The best way for "smaller" clubs to keep or attract players would be to offer some sort of rewards/incentive. Unfortunately this is going to cost but there are possible ways to cut costs. You could offer a win bonus- results reflect performance, but my favourite is a beer bonus 1/2 -Beers after training and If you own your own clubhouse £10-15 on beer for a player is probably half that in cost of beer. Non drinkers dont deserve paying, ha ha. They can have crisps or pork scratchings

Player happy, club happy. More players stay up the club after games and spend more of their own money after being "paid".

:drink:

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

It has become increasingly difficult to keep local and quality players without paying due the current climate and teams paying silly money. I see many players leave clubs for money or more money and end u;p not even playing!! The best way for "smaller" clubs to keep or attract players would be to offer some sort of rewards/incentive. Unfortunately this is going to cost but there are possible ways to cut costs. You could offer a win bonus- results reflect performance, but my favourite is a beer bonus 1/2 -Beers after training and If you own your own clubhouse £10-15 on beer for a player is probably half that in cost of beer. Non drinkers dont deserve paying, ha ha. They can have crisps or pork scratchings

Player happy, club happy. More players stay up the club after games and spend more of their own money after being "paid".

:drink:

I'm sure I heard one club gave players 'beer vouchers' rather than cash, very much in line with your comments above Grant, seems to work for them from what I'm told.

Bit unfair on clubs who have 16/17 year old players, just how many orange squashes and bags of crisps would they have to get in.

Location is always going to be a problem for Wendron although players travel further these days to play for a manager they respect. An after-match beer is going to be no more than a pint though for most as it's a long drive home no matter where you live. It's a shame Wendrons money couldn't stretch to a minibus for those long-distance away matches - players might not worry about not being paid if they don't have to shell out so much on travel. They've got a good kids set-up though so hopefully that will bring on some players in the future

so completely theoretically (at the moment) if the dron were to offer a tenner a game plus the same as a win bonus, would that bring us in line with other swpl league clubs? we don't want to end up being the best facilitated junior club :c:

Don't really know about how much teams offer/pay out. I would suggest paying all the players the same amount and £10 + win bonus sounds pretty fair. It wont be as much as some of the other clubs may offer, but its money, a good set up and if the player enjoys it at the club they may not be tempted away. If it was me I'd play at my local team anyway, money or not. If was interested in money though I probably wouldn't leave the scenario above for less than 30/35, which would rule out many of the local teams. I reckon that if you didn't pay the same player may leave for anything between 10/15/20 ruling in many of the local teams!!

Good luck.