Cornwall Football Forum

PFA TEAM OF THE YEAR

We all now know that the team of the year has been announced BUT do you think it's the right team?. The likes of Giggs, Gerrard and Anelka were selected, whilst the likes of Rooney, Fabregas and Lennon were ignored. I came across an article in the Mail and here's the PFA team and also a team that they selected.Do you think you could come up with a better or more deserving team than the one that was selected by the PFA?.

PFA TEAM OF THE YEAR:

Van der Sar (Man Utd)

G Johnson (Pompey)

Ferdinand (Man Utd)

Vidic (Man Utd)

Evra (Man Utd)

A Young (Aston Villa)

Gerrard (Liverpool)

Giggs (Man Utd)

Ronaldo (Man Utd)

Anelka (Chelsea)

Torres (Liverpool).

SPORTSMAIL SELECT XI:

Reina (Liverpool)

Bosingwa (Chelsea)

Jagielka (Everton)

Hangeland (Fulham)

A.Cole (Chelsea)

Lennon (Spurs)

Lampard (Chelsea)

Fabregas (Arsenal)

Ireland (Man City)

Rooney (Man Utd)

K Davies (Bolton).

I think my line up would be about the same as the Mail's selection but I'd probably choose the mighty Darren Bent over Kevin Davies.

Dont think they were far off coopsie. May be Rooney instead of Anelka. Although a lot of the players in the Alternative team can not of been far away from being selected Nice to See a player from a struggling club like Pompey in there. Have to be honest and say I was surprised to see Giggs get player of the year. Not doubting he has played well but has only started 12 Premiership games. Think Vidic. Gerrard, or Van Der Save would of all been dissapointed not to have won it

Have to be honest and say I was surprised to see Giggs get player of the year. Not doubting he has played well but has only started 12 Premiership games. Think Vidic. Gerrard, or Van Der Save would of all been dissapointed not to have won it

Compare past winners and you'll see that Giggs clearly got this award because he deserves it and it has nothing at all to do with the fact that Sir Alcy Ferguson has spent the last 2 months saying that Giggs should win the award because he never has and deserves it..... :rolleyes:

The numbers are representative of Starts, Appearances as sub and goals scored...

1992-93 Paul McGrath Aston Villa 42 0 4

1993-94 Eric Cantona Manchester United 34 0 18

1994-95 Alan Shearer Blackburn 42 0 34

1995-96 Les Ferdinand Newcastle 37 0 25

1996-97 Alan Shearer Newcastle 31 0 27

1997-98 Dennis Bergkamp Arsenal 28 0 16

1998-99 David Ginola Tottenham 30 0 3

1999-00 Roy Keane Manchester United 28 1 5

2000-01 Teddy Sheringham Manchester United 23 6 15

2001-02 Ruud van Nistelrooy Manchester United 23 3 23

2002-03 Thierry Henry Arsenal 37 0 24

2003-04 Thierry Henry Arsenal 37 0 30

2004-05 John Terry Chelsea 36 3 3

2005-06 Steven Gerrard Liverpool 32 0 10

2006-07 Cristiano Ronaldo Manchester United 31 3 17

2007-08 Cristiano Ronaldo Manchester United 31 3 31

2008-09 Ryan Giggs Manchester United 12 12 1 :o

Giggs has featured in 40 games for United this season so would say he is more than a bit part player. Fergie has used him superbly this season keeping him fresh so he is CONSISTANTLY able to do a good job at the highest level. Also heard that the timespan to be considered by the players voting is Jan-Jan. If so Giggs is still worthy, coming on at Wigan to steady the ship and score winning goal to win the league having already played a big part, winning Champs league, World Club Champs and if your a Liverpool fan you can count Charity Shield ;) . I know its a one off game but look at the way he made Mikel, Ballack and Lamps his bitches at OT in January!! It maybe a slightly sentimental vote but its voted for by the players, shows how highly rated he is by fellow pros!

Personally I think Vidic should have won it, the man is a rock. Had a couple shaky games a few weeks ago but generally he is top drawer. Look at the semi last week, Everton must have thought there were 11 of him out there as he was in the way of everything!!

I think that the sportsmail's team would be a far better shout for the team of the year. from what the PFA say Man Utd shud be 10 - 15 points clear and have the league wrpped up if their players are that much better than the rest and have 5/6 best players in the season.

my team would read;

Van Der Sar

G. Johnson

Vidic

Jagielka

Evra

Gerrard

Lampard

Fabregas

A Young

Anelka

K. Davies

but hey thats my opinion and im probably biased and everyones opinion is different.

Guest Man on the Post

I heard a PFA spokesman say that the player of the 'year' award is not based just on this season but

all performances since the players last voted, i.e. since February / March 2008.

As we all know Ryan Giggs joined Manchester United as a schoolboy over 22 years ago and has only played under one manager. I doubt if that will ever happen again. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

1. Van Der Sar

2. O'Shea

3. Evra

4. Vidic

5. Rio ©

6. Carrick

7. Ronaldo

8. Fletcher

9. Torres/Tevez

10. Rooney

11. Sir RG

12. Gerrard

14. Lampard

Difficult between Torres and Tevez, as i didnt want to be seen as bias.

Fletcher over Gerrard? Are you serious!!!