Cornwall Football Forum

Edgcumbe 3 - 0 St Dennis. (Saints 1st defeat in 19 games)

Edgcumbe won the battle of the two favourites for the Duchy Premier title but although they deserved the win it will unfortunately be remebered for a very poor and biased Refereeing performance. Saints should have scored on 30 sec when Chris Bird found himself with the keeper to beat only to shot into the side netting when rounding the keeper.

The 1st goal was a foul on Mike Brown who like the rest stood and watched as the player that pushed him crossed the ball and Nigel White handed in the box, penalty scored by O' Neil. The 2nd goal on 20 mins was a cross from the right by O'Neil and the wind took it over the head of the Saints keeper. The 3rd goal which killed the game summed up the referee when through on goal the home player handed it forward to stop the clearance and put it passed the keeper. Eveyone was amazed to see the referee allow it. It is scant consolation but a home supportor came over to the Saints fans and ask how the referee could allow a delibrate handball.

Saints didn't improve in the 2nd period and the home side created several half chances although it was hard to play passing football on a pitch with the grass 6" long. Lee Rickard was taken out during the 2nd half and had to be replaced with knee ligament damage it looks like he will miss the semi final, although the referee never even spoke to the offender. Chris Bird and Mike Brown were also caught late but again nothing done by the referee. With Geach and Brown already missing from the starting lineup it will be interesting to see who the boss will call on for the Semi Final on Tuesday.

Lorimor and the other Edgcumbe full back looked tidy and also the very impressive O'Neil upfront who on the day was the best player by a country mile.

Arnold in the middle of the park passed the ball simple and well although how he gets away with leading with his arm everytime he goes up for a header beggers belief.

We went hoping for a tiltle decider to be won by good attacking football and although Edgcumbe deserved the win they didn't need the help given to them by the very very poor official.

Hopefully see you in the Final although we looked very tired today. Torpoint next week. (the hits just keep on coming)

Guest cescfab_4

I must admit the performance by the referee was extremely poor, however Edgcumbe's dominance showed and were deserved of the victory. Maybe Saints shouldve scored early with adirect bit of play. Hopefully it'll be a good battle with Torpoint. Edgcumbe shall be hoping for a draw. See you in a few weeks at the Mill!

jonnie think thats a bit harsh on the referee. i dont think you helped yourselves with the amount of abuse you gave him. it was a definate pen for handball, the 2nd goal although taken by the wind the run by graham o'niell taking on 4-5 players was different class. third goal i believe was brought down using upper arm/chest, seen them given either way before, luckily went for us yesterday.

St Dennis should have scored inside 10 seconds, but from then on i dont think they really tested our keeper from open play once. Ricks had a few nice touches but apart from that didnt really get into the game, was well shackled by our defence until his injury. The foul was an obstruction but you got the free kick i personally dont think it was worth a yellow so not sure what all the fuss was about at the time. The game was won in the 1st half but edgcumbe could and maybe should have scored a few more after the break.

As for leading with my arm im not really sure what you mean? There wasnt any injurys involving me and an incident like this and i certainly dont realise i am doing this if i am?

great result for us, st dennis did look tired and we wish them luck on tuesday would love to play them in the final next week, be a great game for everyone.

Yes agree kept Lee quiet and i did say you could have had some more goals but can't beleive your are defending the referee.

The 1st goal was a foul and the 3rd goal was delibrately use of the HAND.

Agree again with Graham O'Neil outstanding game, first time i have seen him hopefully not the last. If we get to the final we may have Geach, Brown and Hayhurst back so should be a little bit closer.

Guest ECPL Supporter

Who cares what the ref was like. How many times do you hear teams complain about the ref. It all evens itself out over a season, the result is all that people are interested in. Great result for Edgcumbe, game on in the race for the title now!!

Ecpl supportor you are correct it does even itself out over a season when referee's make mistake but the referee on saturday didn't make mistakes he was biased afraid.

Edgcumbe deserved to win and didn't need his help but got it anyway. What was supposed to be a good game between to attacking teams was overshadowed by his performance end off.

Bigdawg i thought you were Dave Lorimor sorry if i got that wrong.

Guest Tjitsnotunusual

Edgcumbe 3 - 0 St Dennis. (Saints 1st defeat in 19 games)

Edgcumbe won the battle of the two favourites for the Duchy Premier title but although they deserved the win it will unfortunately be remebered for a very poor and biased Refereeing performance. Saints should have scored on 30 sec when Chris Bird found himself with the keeper to beat only to shot into the side netting when rounding the keeper.

The 1st goal was a foul on Mike Brown who like the rest stood and watched as the player that pushed him crossed the ball and Nigel White handed in the box, penalty scored by O' Neil. The 2nd goal on 20 mins was a cross from the right by O'Neil and the wind took it over the head of the Saints keeper. The 3rd goal which killed the game summed up the referee when through on goal the home player handed it forward to stop the clearance and put it passed the keeper. Eveyone was amazed to see the referee allow it. It is scant consolation but a home supportor came over to the Saints fans and ask how the referee could allow a delibrate handball.

Saints didn't improve in the 2nd period and the home side created several half chances although it was hard to play passing football on a pitch with the grass 6" long. Lee Rickard was taken out during the 2nd half and had to be replaced with knee ligament damage it looks like he will miss the semi final, although the referee never even spoke to the offender. Chris Bird and Mike Brown were also caught late but again nothing done by the referee. With Geach and Brown already missing from the starting lineup it will be interesting to see who the boss will call on for the Semi Final on Tuesday.

Lorimor and the other Edgcumbe full back looked tidy and also the very impressive O'Neil upfront who on the day was the best player by a country mile.

Arnold in the middle of the park passed the ball simple and well although how he gets away with leading with his arm everytime he goes up for a header beggers belief.

We went hoping for a tiltle decider to be won by good attacking football and although Edgcumbe deserved the win they didn't need the help given to them by the very very poor official.

Hopefully see you in the Final although we looked very tired today. Torpoint next week. (the hits just keep on coming)

Ecpl supportor you are correct it does even itself out over a season when referee's make mistake but the referee on saturday didn't make mistakes he was biased afraid.

Edgcumbe deserved to win and didn't need his help but got it anyway. What was supposed to be a good game between to attacking teams was overshadowed by his performance end off.

Bigdawg i thought you were Dave Lorimor sorry if i got that wrong.

Moan moan moan , u reffered to him arnold in midfield and lorimer full back so u clearly didnt get it wrong , edgecombe for the title