Cornwall Football Forum

Bodmin not as good as last season

I listened to mr Hendy from Saltash talking on the radio today and i quote"Bodmin are not as good as last season" How the hell do you get to that statement,they won it by a mile,you were not good enough to stay in contention, they are without doubt the best side and just as good as last year,the fact that yet again you have under acheived is your problem not Bodmin's or the REF'S as i understand they have cost you as well.

KEV face up to it you are the side that are not as good as last year

Mr Hendy seems to have ruffled your feathers Mr Carey, although I am not quite sure what business it is of yours.

The question on everyone's lips though is whether Falmouth next season will be as good as Bodmin this season?

Either way if Kev and his boys stick together then they won't be too far away from the summit.

Comparing Bodmins record for this season with last, with the exception of the Senior cup and the FA cup they have matched or betered what they did last year.

Whats not as good as last year? well Saltash got a point off them this season and the number of players hurling foul mouthed abuse at the officals seems to have dropped, or is that an improvement?

Saltash under acheived, in the league yes, why, poor start, good cup runs, worse vicitims of poor winter postponment wise and injuries, key players missing for too many games. Oh and decisions made or not made by officals but then who hasn't suffered from that.

Totally agree with Mr Carey. Bodmin battered this league AGAIN and deserve praise for wot they have achived.

As for Saltash i believe haven watched them last season as well have got worse!!!! Mr Hendy loves to blame other people rather than himself for there down fall!!! Again for the players they attract what have they won??? Kev Hendy will be lucky to be in a job next year. :lol:

Guest Uncle Albert

Having watched Bodmin regularly for the past two seasons, I would say there is little to choose between the two campaigns, although they will have collected more points this season than last.

Last season they had Sean Flynn starring in central defence. This season they lost him not long after Alan Carey left, but new manager Darren Gilbert brought in Tom Chambers, who has been excellent.

The spine of the team has been the same . . . Miller, Simmonds, Campbell, O'Hagan . . . and despite the loss of top scorer Steve Ovens in November through injury, they have continued to score goals from all over the team.

Steve Colwell came in from Torpoint and proved an excellent addition, making a place in midfield his own, and Craig Swiggs returned after serious injury to re-establish himself as one of the league's most cultured players.

The one big difference, for me, since Gilbert took over, is that the team's discipline has improved. I know they had Lewis Reed sent off against Saltash yesterday, but it is several months since they had a player dismissed, and bookings have decreased.

I think that has a lot to do with Flynn not being on the field ranting at officials, and Carey not being on the sidelines ranting at officials. The people at the top have to set the example. Gilbert has his moments - and was certainly no shrinking violet on the field - but under his leadership, Bodmin are a more disciplined team.

The example is set by skipper Steve Simmonds, a consistenly impressive performer who doesn't give referees a minute's trouble.

Congratulations to all at Bodmin - worthy champions.

Having watched Bodmin regularly for the past two seasons, I would say there is little to choose between the two campaigns, although they will have collected more points this season than last.

Last season they had Sean Flynn starring in central defence. This season they lost him not long after Alan Carey left, but new manager Darren Gilbert brought in Tom Chambers, who has been excellent.

The spine of the team has been the same . . . Miller, Simmonds, Campbell, O'Hagan . . . and despite the loss of top scorer Steve Ovens in November through injury, they have continued to score goals from all over the team.

Steve Colwell came in from Torpoint and proved an excellent addition, making a place in midfield his own, and Craig Swiggs returned after serious injury to re-establish himself as one of the league's most cultured players.

The one big difference, for me, since Gilbert took over, is that the team's discipline has improved. I know they had Lewis Reed sent off against Saltash yesterday, but it is several months since they had a player dismissed, and bookings have decreased.

I think that has a lot to do with Flynn not being on the field ranting at officials, and Carey not being on the sidelines ranting at officials. The people at the top have to set the example. Gilbert has his moments - and was certainly no shrinking violet on the field - but under his leadership, Bodmin are a more disciplined team.

The example is set by skipper Steve Simmonds, a consistenly impressive performer who doesn't give referees a minute's trouble.

Congratulations to all at Bodmin - worthy champions.

got to agree with you uncle albert,that flynn thought because he was a ex pro he could ref the game :huh: :c:

Sean Flynn is class.He might be over the top sometimes,but that's because he's obviously 100% committed.

Town's player of the season as far as i'm concerned,he leads by example and his captaincy got them back in the game at Elburton.I havn't seen him booked since Tavvy,although he did get booked several games in a row before that.Asking a lino over and over if he was on Match of The Day that night at Dartmouth was more funny than bad discipline.

I've only seen Alan Carey lose it once,for a ridiculous penalty at Holsworthy,even the Reporter at the game and myself asked each other what is was for.

How many times has Flynn been sent off for Falmouth since he joined in January and how many times did he get sent off for Mullion.

I doubt it was because Flynn thought he was an ex-pro but more like because he hates losing, whatever standard he is playing.

No wonder not many players in Cornwall go on to fulfill there potential because their winning mentally is knocked out of them as soon as possible. Im sure given half the chance Flynn would love to swap his professional career to be Truro second team's physio.

How many times has Flynn been sent off for Falmouth since he joined in January and how many times did he get sent off for Mullion.

I doubt it was because Flynn thought he was an ex-pro but more like because he hates losing, whatever standard he is playing.

No wonder not many players in Cornwall go on to fulfill there potential because their winning mentally is knocked out of them as soon as possible. Im sure given half the chance Flynn would love to swap his professional career to be Truro second team's physio.

winning mentally,and gobby are two different things,and i been called lots of things,.in my time,water off a ducks back,i just says it as isees it,and this only going on when he was playing for bodmin,not falmouth,and yes he wouldn't want to swap for me,not been with the 2nd this yr,but hay how,wouldnt swap for your job on the dustbins :drink: :smiley20:

Having watched Saltash United and Bodmin Town yesterday, I am undecided as to whether Bodmin Town are inferior, improved or basically the same as last season.

Unlike previous seasons, I did not leave the game with a "nasty taste" in my mouth. When Carey and Flynn were connected with Bodmin Town, they both created an unsavory atmosphere. Both were guilty of being foul mouthed to officials and anyone criticising Bodmin Town.

Whilst Darren Gilbert would agree that he isn't an "angel", I do feel his team is far more diciplined.

It is a well known fact that Alan Carey "pumps" his own money into his "players budget". Without this money, would he attract players of sufficient quality?

Within the SWPL there are several Managers/Coaches who are not blessed with large budgets, but produce teams that are a pleasure to watch, Kevin Hendy being one of them. I know that there are Saltash United players who do NOT "play" for the money, they respect Kevin Hendy. How much respect do you warrant Mr Carey? I guess it is your wallet that your players respect most.

what do you have to do for people to say well done, bodmin won the league again money or not you still need the right players, carey at falmouth every one thought safety guarenteed not as cut and dried,some times people need to take a step back and realise the clubs ambition or lack of put them where they are,and if all those who choose to come on here would spend more time helping there club than slating others you could be as sucsessful as the likes of bodmin well done gilbs and hudds

nothing 2 do with money, bodmin great side and have been 4 a few years, thats everyone in the club, but thay should do a diffnt challenge, i think if club good enougth 2 win it and club have done enougth 2 go 4wd and thay dont go up, than bottum shouldnt go down.

So money has nothing to do with a winning successful side. What utter rubbish. Tell that to the clubs who are struggling to survive in the South West Peninsula League. Why for instance did Brinton Nute leave Falmouth Town for Bodmin Town? Why did Adam Carter go to Falmouth Town last season?

Money is a major factor.

If, as rumoured, Bodmin Town cut back on their budget, will the players stay with them? Personally, I would like to think they do. All concerned with Bodmin Town, as with the majority of clubs, work hard behind the scenes to keep the club running, do they not at least deserve a little loyalty?