Cornwall Football Forum

The demise of Southampton

this is the trouble when money men get involved in football.they think it will get their face on the tv and make a quick buck but those days are long gone. :glare:

its just another nail in the coffin for football and the great divide.while the rich get richer the poor will go to the wall :SM_carton:

What sickens me is the fact that Southampton, Luton etc etc have all been relegated or worse because of what is a comparatively small debt when put alongside other debts. How is it fair that these smaller clubs get punished or even worse, end up folding completely when the likes of Man Utd have well documented debts of a massive £1.1BILLION..

If Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd or Arsenal were to lose their sugar daddies or champions league football, would they suffer the same punishment or would the government step in with a little financial aid?.

Double standards really piss me off... :angry2:

Just a little correction here, Coopsie.

We are NOT dependent on Champions League football to be financially solvent. The powers that be at Arsenal never built that requirement into paying for the Emirates. What pays for our 25-year "mortgage" are the extra gate receipts we now generate.

Arsenal don't have a sugar daddy,and it's been well published recently that Liverpool's owners had to go cap in hand to the banks.I can't see the government stepping in somehow either.

In Southamptons case,what about all the money the likes of Theo Walcott and Gareth Bale's transfers generated,basically they gambled with their finances and lost.

Relegated today as well,so will start the next season minus 10 points.

Guest Norry

What sickens me is the fact that Southampton, Luton etc etc have all been relegated or worse because of what is a comparatively small debt when put alongside other debts. How is it fair that these smaller clubs get punished or even worse, end up folding completely when the likes of Man Utd have well documented debts of a massive £1.1BILLION..

If Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd or Arsenal were to lose their sugar daddies or champions league football, would they suffer the same punishment or would the government step in with a little financial aid?.

Double standards really piss me off... :angry2:

crikey stewey....not suffered enough with a 5-2 defeat,now your complaining about utd's debt,,,,yes they probably are..but their fan base is world wide,to every corner of the globe and merchandising alone secures a healthy state,that utd can carry and cope with..unlike spurs who are limited with supporters,i belive (72) including yourself.

and the likes of alan sugar(youre fired) well gone..so remember the meek may not inherit the world..

football is now a global buisness,and not a sport.....too many prawn sandwich brigades for that..

most of the big clubs now are plc like in other industries money talks. you need to have it to be allowed to go into debt :SM_carton:

just look at the high street household names that are going out of business. how long before football goes down the same road <_<

the biggest problem is clubs like man utd. and liverpool. will always find a buyer because they are household names around the world because of their history on and off the field.just look at their owners they have not got a clue about "soccer" :SM_carton: