Cornwall Football Forum

Bodmin Champions!

Guest oldhat

Possibly. But until promotion is made compulsory I dont think many champions will choose to go up. It's not a case of 'growing balls'. It's a simple issue of finances.

Guest ECPL Supporter

Possibly. But until promotion is made compulsory I dont think many champions will choose to go up. It's not a case of 'growing balls'. It's a simple issue of finances.

Yeah Bodmin are skint! Look at the players they've got there, they're very fortunate that they all play for a fiver

Blimey! I didn't expect the knives to be out so quickly. Funny how success brings out the jealousy in people, not that it will bother the good folk of Bodmin Town. I do though ask why people can't be gracious and offer their congratulations. Wasn't it the same chap who bemoaned Saltash` loss to St Austell in the Cornwall Senior cup Final, and ECPL (yes I know who you are), you should know better. Well done Bodmin Town - as someone else said, `best side by a country mile`. :drink: :clapper:

Guest oldhat

ECPL Supporter, perhaps you should start following the SWPL as you obviously now nothing about finances at that level. I have it on very good authority that since Christmas the Bodmin first team has been operating on a shoe string budget. It is a credit to team spirit, and Darren Gilbert, that the squad stayed together despite many being offered significantly more to play elsewhere.

Quite frankly it's a cheap shot to come on here and accuse Bodmin of bank rolling. It couldn't be further from the truth.

Guest Peppermint

Congratulations to Bodmin Town - well done to Darren Gilbert in his first year in management.

I do not think that anyone can dispute that they are the best team in the Premier League and I agree with Ken Reed that it seems a bit churlish to have a go at Bodmin when the have just become champions.

Let them enjoy their success - the finances of running a team in the CSWPL are not easy and it gets more difficult every year.

Whilst I congratulate Bodmin Town on winning the title. here are several facts not to be ingored. Alan Carey built this team and the finance was in place earlier in the season, to pay players some very good wages.

Darren Gilbert simply had to keep it going. There is no doubt that Bodmin Town are talented squad and any of them leaving with the team in pole position of the title would really have been foolish.

I personally think it is upto to clubs if they want promotion. Why break a club financially by promoting them.

There is every chance that next season will be very exciting, with a more level playing field with budgets.

Congratulations to Gilby and all the squad at Bodmin who have steamrolled to the title. There were several teams including ourselves who thought we might be able to push them for the title. But when it came down to it they have proven to be a far stronger squad than the rest of us and fully deserve their success. How anyone can suggest Gilby is a one season wonder?

There are times you have got to hold your hands up and admit the best team won the league.

Like Ken said I think I could have a pretty good guess who Pastyman / Hoofer is I think he is probably the same one that goes under the name of Cornish 1956 on the League website.

Apologies for not congratulating Bodmin Town on winning the league. They have proven to be the best team again this season but I wouldn't say that they are a country mile better than anyone else.

Next season will be even more interesting as many of the better players will probably gravitate towards those clubs with the money.

With Bodmin having a very low average crowd attendance and with Carey's money no longer supporting the players expenses then I simply wonder how they will generate a decent playing budget.

It will be interesting to see whether Darren Gilbert will still be holding the reins next season if a good budget is not on the table. Hence my question "one season wonder"?

Between 20 and 25 Bodmin Town supporters at Newton Abbot Spurs today, all of whom seemed to thoroughly enjoy themselves. Not sure how many came out of the woodwork though. Sour Grapes?

Good all round performance from Bodmin who won the game with goals from Karl Turner and Luke Hodge.

Hoofer, show some balls and let us know who you are.

Sour grapes over the Senior Cup and now having a pop at Gilby, all very well behind a name.

One thing Darren wont shirk is a challenge, he wasnt a one season wonder whilst wearing his boots and he wont be one whilst not wearing them either.

To keep the momentum going after losing such an influencial gaffer is just as hard as building your own team IMO. Also, Bodmin had a 5 or 6 week period where they had no football about 2 months ago, they had a lull and still got results.

Darren and all at Bodmin deserve whatever credit they get for winning the SWPL.

When Saltash step up instead of promising everything and choking in 2 successive seasons and 2 successive Senior cup finals maybe you can get away with talking such crap.

Sorry if this offends any Saltash folk, blame the Hoof!

Well done Bodmin for winning the league. Like I said they have proved themselves again as the best team in the league and although not everyone's cup of tea credit must go to Darren Gilbert for managing to keep the squad together after Carey left and credit must go to the players for not letting the club down by leaving during the season.

Can't bring myself to congratulating St Austell for winning the Cornwall Senior Cup though. However, I will congratulate them for reaching the final and for taking advantage of Saltash's misfortune and the ref's incompetence.

I may be wide of the mark but my understanding was that Bodmin were in a very precarious position just before Carey's appointment. I don't suppose they will be in a much better position after this season ends unless there is a generous benefactor to be found. On this basis I could see many of the current squad looking for other clubs rather than stick around for a few quid next season. If this turns out to be true then Bodmin will struggle to stay in the Premier League next season. I hope Bodmin don't struggle as its a good club with a decent pitch and the people behind the scenes seem very committed and well respected.

Can anyone from Bodmin Town confirm whether Darren Gilbert has committed yet to managing their 1st team next season?

Soil Sports, what makes you think that I've got balls anyway?

Also, apologies for rattling your cage but if you remind me what "crap" I've been talking then perhaps I can go some way to calming you down?

Soil Sports, what makes you think that I've got balls anyway?

That Hoofer, is a very valid point! :D

Apologies for the rant, you have no need to apologise for rattling the cage, the occasional post does so now and then!

Frustrated in part as your name has been beside some posts that appear as sour grapes rather than just disappointment. I cannot begin to imagine how disappointed Saltash players must feel but sadly what has been done cannot be changed.

People have similar frustrations with me and my constant moaning about the CCFA no doubt.

Hopefully though, those are things that can be affected in the future :D

Reflecting on a post I submitted on another thread earlier, I should have took a piece of my own advice and not bothered to post my angry response, all opinions valued and all that.

Just felt that Gilby didnt deserve to take a pasting for winning the title in his first year.

I sincerley hope that Bodmin players stay regardless of money. Darren has never been one to chase the funds as a player and hopefully that will have had some form of knock on effect, I doubt it though!

Guest topbanana

Congratulations to everyone connected with Bodmin, without their supporters as well the club may have not achieved this.

Nice to see Danny O'Hagon winning more trophies than he did at argyle lol

Guest ECPL Supporter

ECPL Supporter, perhaps you should start following the SWPL as you obviously now nothing about finances at that level. I have it on very good authority that since Christmas the Bodmin first team has been operating on a shoe string budget. It is a credit to team spirit, and Darren Gilbert, that the squad stayed together despite many being offered significantly more to play elsewhere.

Quite frankly it's a cheap shot to come on here and accuse Bodmin of bank rolling. It couldn't be further from the truth.

I'm not bothered about what money they are on, i was only stating that over the past couple of seasons they haven't exactly struggled financially. But i'm sure that now Alan Carey has gone then so has the money. It will be interesting to see who stays for that shoe string budget next season. They without doubt deserved to win the league this season though, well done

Congratulations to everyone connected with Bodmin, without their supporters as well the club may have not achieved this.

Nice to see Danny O'Hagon winning more trophies than he did at argyle lol

What supporters?????? We out numbered you when we visited Bodmin a few weeks back and when Bodmin came up to Witheridge they had 1 or 2 turn up.

Like Ken said I think I could have a pretty good guess who Pastyman / Hoofer is I think he is probably the same one that goes under the name of Cornish 1956 on the League website.

I think the key to the above is a pretty good guess, nothing factual in that.

Anyway, enjoy your run in I don't envy the amount of games you have to squeeze in the next few weeks. :o