Cornwall Football Forum

Rathbone Trophy U18s Final

Just heard from a team manager that this years top u18s county cup final is to be played at Dobwalls. Nothing against this club and the pitch isnt too bad but they havent got any floodlights have they and surely a monday night isnt the best time to play such a game. Plymouth Argyles home park is hosting the Devon cup final, what does cornwall think about their youth? this match should have the recognition it deserves and be played on any of the top pitches. What do other people think and maybe the managers of the teams could give their views?

Surely the top swpl teams have the best facilities and pitches, its about giving the lads the best experience they can have and unfortunately i don't believe Dobwalls is that pitch 'my opinion'. Compare Devon's venue 'Home park' and you may understand what i mean. And Monday night 6.30pm kick off surely you must be concerned as much as most other supporters, that will mean teams leaving their respective bases quite early and i'm sure some of those youngsters are working.

And with regards to your reply Dave a flat pitch would be a good start!!

The Final will be St Austell v Spear United (formerly Millbrook) on Monday 18th May 2009.

As is quite often the case with finals, the clubs may not want to stage the final.

So, in the perfect world, where would you like it staged out of these:-

Bodmin Town

Falmouth Town

Launceston

Liskeard Athletic

Saltash United

St Blazey

Torpoint Athletic

Wadebridge Town

But it might be that they don't want to stage the game - that we don't know!

Have to say though that a Monday evening is a strange night of the week to hold it. Sunday woudl be much better - I enjoyed the game last season at Lux Park. Highly entertaining - who are the favourites this season?

Yeah a monday night is strange? I dont understand the theory behind that. Yes last years game was very enjoyable especially as we won! Awesome day out, Liskeard were great hosts. In my opinion St.Austell are favourites after playing both teams last year and knowing most players in both teams but will be very interesting. Think it will be alot closer than last year though! Is keano manager of millbrook (spear fc) ths year again?

Ok Dobwalls have quite a nice playing ground even with the slope. Floodlights would be a good idea as if game goes into extra time and even penalties and weather isnt good 'who knows' then the light will definately be fading if not quite dark and that would possibly mean a abandoned game which would need to be played again, not the best idea County have had. Also we enjoyed the day out down to Liskeard last year on the Sunday.

In reply to Bube boys no Dane Bunney isnt the manager any more thats Garry Hammond supported by Jock Haswell, both experienced youth managers.

Guest A LEGEND!

Dobwalls definately not the best shout for a cup final on a monday evening, has the board drunk some stale ale or something?kimberley stadium would of been better. although i have played on dobwalls this season and is has a nice playing surface but not very big facilities such as lux park and kiimberley.

Shocking decision Nothing against Dobwalls but this type of match should be played at either a floodlight ground in midweek or on a Sunday. What message does that send out to the youngsters who have fought hard to earn the right to play on a big clubs ground.