Cornwall Football Forum

Best Supported Junior Club?

I wonder who the best supported Junior club is in Cornwall.

At the start of the season the average home attendance per game in the Combo was 42 and it has gradually decreased over the season due to loss of interest, weather, poor results from teams with potential large support, etc to now stand at just over 37.

I am not knocking teams such as Wendron, St Day, Culdrose, Holman, etc but they tend to be the less well supported teams in the league no matter how well they are doing in the table.

I was wondering if the league committee suddenly said "That's it! From now on we will only accept teams with decent home support as we want the league to reach a bigger audience", who would be allowed in.

Let's have some honesty. What is the average home support of your Junior team during the season and would it boost the average gate of the Combo. Could it be a reserves team of a team already in the league?

Answers below please.

CTB....I know that two members of the League Committee have said and done some rum things over the years, but even they would not stoop to the idiocy in the hypothetical discourse beginning "That's it" !

"Reserve teams"...oh, come on, there's one club who even try to play all their games on Friday nights to rent a crowd !

On what evidence do you base your comments about St Day, who have just hosted an excellent and well-attended Combo final ? Two seasons ? And how reliable are any of the figures except Penzance's, which no doubt you count yourself ?

This is a no-brainer.......

I think CTB you may have overdosed on your statistics a little bit too much!!!!

How ludicrous would it be to suggest to a junior club that yes they've ticked all the boxes for ground and facilities have just won the league, junior cup and the lickey lickey brown nose trophy the previous season only for the combo commitee to then turn around and say sorry lads im afraid the fact that you only have 2 of the players young kids and a bloke called dave who is out walking his dog every saturday afternoon watching you means that you cant enter the league!!!!! come on...honestly???

I agree some combo clubs are better supported then others on a weekly basis but on certain occasions and mainly its certain matches that will draw more spectators. We have an average gate of 15 to 20 every saturday but last week in a local derby against Illogan had 60 !!

I think junior clubs have enough hoops to jump through to reach senior status and even with the new pyramid system replacing the "old boys voting system"which many people thought would make promotion to the combo a formality it would appear that of the 4 sides who have applied at least 3 are having to work hard to take the combo inspectors list of pickups and make them right before May 31st . Junior clubs have enough problems to be accepted without this extra daft stipulation.

CTB I know you are only raising a thread to encourage debate so i'm not ranting at you just the topic :D :D

totally agree with you pitty. and ctb i think you will find that most of the figures given to you for combo attendences are made up figures by biased club officials . i have played in or watched most of portreaths combo fixtures this season and some of the away games we have played in there has been about ten people there then i look on this site and someone says there was forty . sorry to tell you mate but most of the att figures you get in are pure fiction :thumbsup:

instead of worrying about attendance figures! they should worry more about some of the current combo clubs facilitys!!while i agree with them making sure new entrants meet the current requirements does it not make sense that current clubs should also conform to them?

I believe the Combo would be a better league with a couple of less clubs. There is no other league in the Country at this level where there are 20 clubs playing 38 league games. Clubs gaining promotion to the SWP Div 1 currently have 34 league fixtures, which would be about the right number for the Combo in my opinion. 38 league games plus senior cup, league cup, supplementary cup fixtures inevitably creates end of season fixture pile-ups, with Perranwell and Culrose still to play a dozen league games as of yesterday.

i agree that junior clubs have enough to do to gain promotion, without all these new expectations from the combo!! we were told that our car park has to be able to hold 80 cars.....?!!! i would like to see penzance get 80 in that little thing, and also a number of other clubs! it almost seems as if they are trying to put clubs off gaining promotion by putting some pathetic rules in when they are not needed. surly if they tell us we need a car park that holds 80 cars by the start of the season, then EVERY other senior club should have to abide by the same rules and ensure they can also meet the same criteria that the clubs trying to get into senior football have too..... thats not asking too much, and sorry to resort to playground talk....but it only seems fair does it not?!

there is teams in senior football that have smaller changing rooms than us, smaller car parks, loads owith worse pitches!!! a good 35-45%!! yet we seem as if we are banging our heads against a wall, when in actual fact we only want to get into senior football, and see how we get on, not put our ground forward for a venue for the 2012 olympics!!! lol

i think its about time the combo looked as themselves and ask themselves, our we asking too much, and if so, lets change it now, rather than lose the bread and butter teams that have been playing football in cornwall for years over silly little expectations from people who are no longer in the great green grass kicking a ball!

totally agree with you pitty. and ctb i think you will find that most of the figures given to you for combo attendences are made up figures by biased club officials . i have played in or watched most of portreaths combo fixtures this season and some of the away games we have played in there has been about ten people there then i look on this site and someone says there was forty . sorry to tell you mate but most of the att figures you get in are pure fiction :thumbsup:

Why would people lie about the attendance? As i try to be honest and count the crowd home and away i have never seen such a small crowd (10) as you said on away games! but we have to host you yet so it maybe that you are not such a crowd puller? But i bet there will be at least 15 at our home fixture! :D

Why would people lie about the attendance? As i try to be honest and count the crowd home and away i have never seen such a small crowd (10) as you said on away games! but we have to host you yet so it maybe that you are not such a crowd puller? But i bet there will be at least 15 at our home fixture! :D

im not saying everyone is making up the figures but there are a few porkie pies flying around .

Rodney.

I posted this thread in all innocence as I wanted to find some of the crowds that junior clubs get. I never get to see junior matches and wondered if a local derby in the Mining League attracts decent crowds.

The car park down Pz is supposed to fit either 51 or 56 cars. Even I've got to laugh at that, 30 if we stack them on each other or say minis or smart cars only. Parking has always been a problem at Pz. When we get promoted we will get First Bus to change one of their routes to stop outside of the Magpies Club on a Saturday to drop off all those new supporters who will want to watch SWPL Premier football :P

Good luck, CTB.....since Vidal made Porthleven lie down to let you past cos he can't afford promotion, you've got a good chance......maybe fewer Friday nights next year, however ? And when the money runs out, freefall. With your admission charges next year, bus passengers will never afford Mewton's wages, surely ? I guess he's hoping to make savings by tapping up local boys....though why they want to play in pink on a council pitch for a thieving geek in an anorak, goodness knows. :clapper:

Rodney, you know why we played some of our games on a Friday evening.

i) At the request of our opponents

ii) At the request of the rugby club

iii) At our request so we would not clash with Mounts Bay home games thus depriving income to both clubs

Most clubs, even yours ask for games to re-fixtured so I can't see where you're going with this, or is just another one of your digs.

Rodney, you know why we played some of our games on a Friday evening.

i) At the request of our opponents

ii) At the request of the rugby club

iii) At our request so we would not clash with Mounts Bay home games thus depriving income to both clubs

Most clubs, even yours ask for games to re-fixtured so I can't see where you're going with this, or is just another one of your digs.

i) I'm fairly sure without knowing the exact facts that most sides would not choose to play on a Friday.

ii) We've got Sainsbury's down the road, gets fairly busy on a Saturday so we'll choose a different time.

iii) We'll play on a different night to everyone so our firsts, reserves and other neutral football watchers can come, it will always boost attendances as people watch when theres nothing to do.