Cornwall Football Forum

Your greatest moment in Duchy Football

Guest edgcumbetillidie

Guest edgcumbetillidie

Thought it would be quite cool to get everyones views on what was THEIR greatest moment in Duchy football.

Im not asking about a team moment, what are everyones individual greatest moments?

For me it would have to be in Edgcumbes debut season. We were playing Calstock at home and they refused to play at Maker because of the conditions so it was moved down to Millbrook, so tempers were up before the game. There was a massive crowd and it was a massively heated game.

It was 2-2 and we had 2 of our players sent off (bigdawg one of them was you). And there was about 2 minutes to go when I picked the ball up on the half way line and ran through to slip the ball past the keeper to make the score 3-2 to us and with that win we secured promotion from Division 4. And although we won the league and cup in the end that season, that goal secured promotion in Edgcumbe's debut season and the rest is history.

What is everyone elses greatest memories?

burying 2 v torpoint winning 4-3 earleir this season is up there for me. plus getting to the junior cup final when we were in div 3.

worst moment was when we played st stephens boro in a 'winner wins the league' match in div 1 and after going 1 up we lost 3-1. gutted.

Guest gunniplayer

best moment was beating st newlyn east in the semi final of the junior cup in 06/07 season great crowd came down to watch and we scored the winner in injury time.

worst moment was losing to st dennis in the final that season after winning for most of the game.

Not sure this belongs here but my best moment was in a game for St Lawrences in the old B & D league. I was reserve keeper for most of one season but because of player shortages I got picked to play outfield in one game. I honestly can't remember my final goal tally for the game but it was six or seven. The opposition were confused by the slope in the second half of the pitch I believe. They just never saw me until it was too late.

My favorite moment was playing in the Bedford cup in the Semi final where we were 4-1 down after the away leg and after our performance we seemed dead and buried against a decent Roseland side. But then the home leg we came out and grabbed two early goals, then in the last minute I played our striker in to score what was the winner due to away goals, causing a big player pile on and supporters on the pitch. Good times!! shame we went on to get hammered in the final by Edgecumbe.

so many duchy memories!!

where i cut my cat teeth ack in the day!

first season of mens football aged 14 playing in duchy 4 west, (that was the lowest league then)

for veryan, played at st stephen school VS the Fourlords, one car turned up late so we started with 10 players, 5 minutes in ball came to medirect on the volley from athrow in in my own centre circle,looked up to spot the keeper ( who had a canny resemblence to super mario if anyone remembers him) off his lineso smoked a 55 vard volley in!! no word of a lie i tell ya!!!

It has to be a when I scored a hat-trick against St Mawgan for St Columb Major in Duchy 1 (2003-04?). We scored five goals in less than fifteen minutes in a massive local derby that ended 5-1. That just pipped a strike from the half-way line against St Stephen in a 7-1 win. I should have retired that season!!

My worst moment was in the same season, I missed a 3-3 cup tie against Boscastle due to work commitments, played in the second leg and smashed in possibly one of the best goals I have scored after coming on from the bench - and we went out on away goals. Gutted.

My favourite football memories all link back to time playing in the Duchy League...

"worst moment was when we played st stephens boro in a 'winner wins the league' match in div 1 and after going 1 up we lost 3-1. gutted."

Sorry Bigdawg but thats one of my two best memories - that result led to Borough's first title win and from there we went on to win the Premier Division and join ECPL (where I hope you lads will be next season).

My other would be beating Callington's reserves (then Duchy Premier if memory serves me) in a Bedford Chairmans Cup final at Launceston in our first season as a Duchy Four (East) side after penalties at Launceston.

We even had a unofficial civic reception back in the pub in Saltash after the game as it clashed with Mayor choosing so all the civic dignatories were there!

Great memories!

Having not been a prolific goalscorer my greatest moments would be when I have played a role in an important victory or performance... (all for Grampound FC)

3 cup games stick out...

I remember beating Altarnun 5-1 in the Knockout cup, when they were unbeaten and top of Duchy 2, and we were division 4 (west) - I think this was 2003/4 season??

A bizarre Junior Cup game at Queens Rangers, when we went 3-0 up inside 15 minutes only to think we had the game won to find ourselves 5-3 down and in stoppage time... we somehow rescued the game with 2 goals in added time before winning 7-5 after extra time... incredible stuff!! I think this was also 2003/4 season.

I also remember from a personal viewpoint the role I had in against St Columb Major in a knockout cup game (2004/5 season)... St Columb were flying high in the Duchy Prem that season whereas we were Duchy 4 (first season after they ended regionalisation in the lower leagues). We found ourselves 2-0 at half-time and looking dead and buried, I'd already cleared a Dave Rabone effort off the line to prevent it being 3-0... then with a Cafu-like overlapping run from right-back dug out a cross Beckham would be proud of, Mike Bawden met it perfectly to score and seconds later Bawden netted again to make it 2-2 and force extra time. We were all over St Columb in the first period of extra time, with their keeper pulling off a brilliant save to prevent Shane Weeks from scoring. The in the second period of added on time St Columb netted to win it. They went on to win the competition but it was great to be involved in such a fine team performance.

A personal disappointment occured that season as I broke my leg in January 2005 and missed the second half of the season... we finished 3rd in the league and reached the divisional cup final.

There have been plenty of good memories and long may they continue...

Guest tafc.-gaffa

Has to be so far beating Edgcumbe 0-1 with 10 men for the last half hour and out playing them for the game and showing more heart,belief,experience and want. Seeing in their faces that they knew they had no answer to us and especially their manager who is a good friend of mine admitting all of the above.