Cornwall Football Forum

ONE RULE FOR HEURELHO

Perhaps I am being paranoid, but what does Heurelho Gomes have to do to be accepted as a keeper, not a clown?

I accept that even his most loyal allies will agree he has made some costly errors and hardly started his Spurs career in a blaze of glory, but since the turn of the year, his form has been impressive and compares with all bar the very best in the Premiership.

It would seem however, that with every game the taunts of clown, calamity or whatever negative term the media can think of will offered as a reference to our No1. Despite the quality of his performance any opportunity to have a pop at Gomes, mistake or no mistake.

What I have noted with interest this season is that no other keeper is under the spotlight quite like Heurelho. This weekend I thought that Chelsea`s Petr Cech had a mare against Bolton. Not only was he responsible for Bolton`s first goal, but flapped at crosses on several occasions. This is of course a keeper rated as one of the very best in the world, but to me he looked anything but...

Add Cech to Ben Foster`s howler to gift Sunderland an equaliser and it is clear that Gomes isn`t the only keeper to make mistakes, but he is the only one called a clown. I have hardly heard a negative word against Cech and only a "Foster will be a little disappointed" comment over what could have been a hugely costly error if United didn`t close the game out at the Stadium of Light.

I am not suggesting that Foster and Cech are not exceptional custodians , but feel it is very much a case of one rule for Gomes and another for every other keeper. Every keeper makes mistakes, but none are highlighted quite like those make in the canary yellow shirt of Gomes. Perhaps he is an easy target? A larger than life character on the pitch, who plays in a manner where he takes risks rather than the safe option.

Gomes will never be a "steady Eddie" type of keeper. Instead of the media and fans for that matter embracing the fact he is brave and goes for balls that most keepers would never dream of attempting, it is easier to label him as a joke and a clown, whilst ignoring the mistakes from others as being one of those things.

I feel confident that "Arry" will stick with Gomes and he will be our keeper next season. After a very shaky start, he now looks the type of keeper we need and I feel he will go from strength to strength as his confidence and understanding of the English game increase.

As a team Spurs are suddenly looking solid at the back. Yet in the last couple of seasons, I feel any keeper would have looked bad and Gomes coming in as a new boy, with little command of the language and a terrible start from the team this season, Gomes has done superbly to recover, a lesser man would have disappeared. All he needs now is for the fans and media to accept he is a good keeper, who like every other No1 makes mistakes...

Good point Skippy, I guess that once you have a reputation, it's hard to get rid of it?.

I think of James and Grobbelaar (spelling?). One was/is known as calamity and the other was also called a clown. The clown went on to become a Liverpool legend and and Calamity has gone on to become England's number 1.

coopsie trouble with being a goalkeeper is that you are always under the spotlight.nobody calls a striker a clown just because he misses an easy chance.the art of being a good player is to be consistant and a goalkeeper like gomes,james and grobelaar will never be that because they like to entertain and keepers are not allowed to entertain just be solid :c: :smiley20:

Coopsie, he's stuck with it mate. Keeper makes a mistake.....goal.......everyone moans and starts making jokes. As we all know, Ramos was/is not a bad manager, and was unjustly booted out by Spurs before some of his players started to play to their full ability. Gomes is a top keeper, and everyone knows it.

Think back to Tony Adams and the Donkey nickname. One of the greatest English defenders we have seen called a Donkey. I rest my case.

Guest geachy1

when gomes played last season for psv in the uefa cup he kept psv in the game cant remeber who they were playing but it was english team but he was class and still is .

when iv played a game and made a mistake it takes me the rest of that game and another to forget about it but for him he probly got 20thousand away fans calling him. hard to forget.

you learn from mistakes any way

Guest geachy1

what do you mean geachy it takes you the rest of the game and another you make at least 2/3 mistakes a macth you will always be known as a clown born one die one :unsure:

your the only ******* clown here carlsberg.