Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall Junior Cup Final 08/09

Guest Flintstone

St Dennis scored first from penalty, Lee Rickard. Then the boo boys spured Falmouth on to play some good football and they equalized I guess about 87 mins and deserved it. It was no walk in the park!

Pitch became very slippy causing a few missed timed tackles.

Not a bad game, Rickard looked the best player on the pitch and finally hit the back of the net from 12 yards after a couple of good chances. Falmouth kept going and deserved their equaliser after a bit of pinball in the St Dennis area! Funny to see Ben Ambrose celebrating the goal in front of the fans, although the chaps from the CCFA may not have appreciated his little gesture!!

Very entertaining game played hard but fair, both teams tried to play football and keep the tempo high at all times ! a great advert for junior football, but both teams had players who could easily play a higher level! Enjoyed it i may go to the replay :c:

Guest Bowden

well done 2 athletic deserverd 2 score late on but for me 2 best players on the day were lee jeffries or kirk davies who almost won it on his own running wit the ball the whole length of the pitch skinning 4 players and got a corner

good luck in the reply UP THE ATHLETIC for this 1

Got to agree with some of the other comments as it was not a bad game and a fair result to be honest, both teams had chances to win this game but the conditions did not helpa

The Senior cup final was a different story though what a fantastic game and congratulations to St Austell coming from 2-0 down to win 3-2 just amazing and the scenes at the end were brilliant, Felt sorry for the Ashes as they did play very well but St Austell never gave up and got there rewards

All in all a good days football just a shame that it was wet,windy and bloody freezing cold lol

Must have watched a different game because it was a poor advert for Junior Football. Saints played poor and anyone of of the top 8 teams in the Duchy premier would have walked it. Falmouth started brightly but kept pumping the ball into the Saints box and never really got any chances. Saints missed 3 chances in the first half all which fell to Lee Rickard and as been putting away for fun recently. The 2nd period Saints got there act together and should have been out of sight before Falmouth equaliser which on the day they deserved. Falmouth supportor threw a full can of beer which hit the Saints keeper after the goal and YES it will be reported. No 8 and 10 played well for Falmouth but No 2 was far and away there best player. Saints haven't played this poor since before christmas when beaten at Lamerton the last defeat. Like i said anyone one of the top 8 teams in the Duchy Premier would have walked this game.

I must also add the Referee was very poor. Falmouth should have had at least 3 players booked 2 in the first half for pulling of opponents shirt and not letting a quick free kick to be taken. A lot of people thought the penalty should also have been a red card being the last man, not so sure. He never took no notice of the linesman on several occasions for both teams not just Saints.

Kevin Toy in the Falmouth can hold his head up for having a decent game although Saints should not have given chances to save. Miss of the day Richard Hawke from 6 yards with the keeper on the floor he side footed wide.

All to play for next week, well done ST AUSTELL saints double still on

I thought a drew was a fair result could have gone either way and thank you to St Blazey on a well hosted cup final day despite the down pour I think every one had a good time.

Was great to finally meet Dave Deacon, Pidge, SuperCooper, CrApPy, St Austell 2nd, Chairman, Ken Reed, Topcat and the other forum members.

Guest Burnley

Falmouth definetly deserved the equaliser, and were (and are) the better footballing side.

Looking at the penalty awarded to St Dennis, Steve Sheperd was given a yellow card instead of a red card. Apparantly this was because he won the ball! So how can it be a penalty!!!!

That was a poor decision in my opinon and St Dennis should have been awarded a corner kick, not a penalty.

In those instances, you either give a penalty and a red card.....OR YOU GIVE NOTHING! and theres no inbetween im afraid.

Nice to see so many make the trip on such a horrible rainy day.

Good luck to Athletic for the replay!

Guest Peppermint

I agree with Richard Chown - quite a good game of football despite the elements. I could not see how the Referee could give a penalty and then say the offender was not the last man. I wonder if there were assessors marking the referees performances yesterday.

A draw was a fair result - the only thing that left a nasty taste in the mouth for neutral observers was the reaction of a few Falmouth Athletic supporters after the equaliser trying to provoke the St Dennis supporters who to their credit never reacted. All they had done all afternoon was to chant and sing nothing more but it was only a few Falmouth supporters that were behaving in this way.

Good luck to both teams in the Replay.

Guest Charley

I must also add the Referee was very poor. Falmouth should have had at least 3 players booked 2 in the first half for pulling of opponents shirt and not letting a quick free kick to be taken. A lot of people thought the penalty should also have been a red card being the last man, not so sure. He never took no notice of the linesman on several occasions for both teams not just Saints.

all very well saying the referee was poor and falmouth shud have had 3 players booked and stuff im sure st dennis players commited offences worthy of cards and were let off. swings and roundabouts. and u did mention he ignored the linesmen for both teams

I thought a draw was a fair result overall. Both teams tried to play football in difficult conditions. I thought Falmouth Athletic had the majority of the ball and thoroughly deserved their equaliser - Kirk Davies was outstanding for them.

However as had been said Rickard could have had the game sewn up for St Dennis. A pity he wasn't that wasteful infront of goal against us (Grampound) in the second round!

Guest chippy

I thought it was a poor game played in even worse conditions. The referee (Chris Stevens from Fowey) was appaling and insisted on slowing the game down at every opportunity by giving free kicks for minor offences and then calling the player over from 20 yards away, despite the rain, to have a few words. The 4th official was very petty. At least the linesmen were ok.

As for the teams themselves i believe the St Dennis players came into the game thinking all they had to do was turn up and they had won. Falmouth were good enough but if St Dennis play like they can they would have won quite comfortably.

Man of Match: StDennis: CJ Bird/Mike Brown, Falmouth: Number 2 (Dont no his name but he looked very good)

have never seen us play so bad.lol dissapointed with myself for those chances i missed but thats football. think we underestimated falmouth. very good footballing side and kirk davies was amazing yesterday. quality quality player who should be playing a far higher standered. our key players didnt perform and were goin to have to buck up next wednesday to get a result. weather and pitch spoiled it a bit but both sides did wat they could in rubbish conditions. il try and remember to take my shooting boots next wednesday. think its pants thats it went straight to a reply but in a way glad because falmouth were on top after they scored that goal which they very much deserved. lets just hope the weather next week holds off.lol 1st we got to go out on saturday and get 3ponts then start concentrating on wednesday. COMON SAINTS.

Guest The Gay Snake

I thought the ref had a fantastic game and that you people are way too quick to give the man in the middle a hard time.

Players from both sides should be ashamed of themselves for continually shouting and swearing when the ref had his back turned, it was petty and cowardly.

Rob Hoskings - Just think mate - a year ago you and me were in that final and spent a great evening together! Hows the foot?

i think it was a fair result, st dennis had the better in the 1st half with athletic showing glimpses of what they can do, st dennis started the 2nd half brightly then went off the boil after they scored, athletic stepped it up a gear and showed just how good a side they really are and deserved their equalizer

kirk davies was easily man of the match, never stopped running and drove his side on

ref didnt have a bad game, ive seen a lot worse than him this season, yeah he could of booked a couple of athletic players, but the st dennis players were going into every tackle on the floor, must enjoy sliding around, a few of the tackles were poorly missed timed which could of warranted a booking

all in all an enjoying final to watch even in the conditions, come on athletic next wensday

• 3 weeks later...