Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth still not safe!

Falmouth may have picked up an excellent point today at Blaise Park, but their survival in the SWPL Premier is still not guaranteed if reports that Elburton picked up all the points against Parkway prove to be true.

I believe this would put the gap between Falmouth and Elburton down to 9 points, and with two more matches between these teams to come, the relegation battle is far from decided!!

And Elburton have two games in hand

Remaining games

Elburton(7 Home 2 Away) Pld.27 13pts

H v Clyst/Torpoint/Liskeard/Dartmouth/Falmouth/Tavistock/Wadebridge

A v Falmouth/Witheridge

Falmouth (2 Home 5 Away) Pld.29 22Pts

H v Elburton/Buckland

A v Witheridge/Launceston/Elburton/Wadebridge/Cullompton

Guest Postie Pidge

I've been led to believe it's one down, and one up from East and West to make the Premier up to 20.

Is is still possible for Barnstaple to be relegated into the SWPL and if they did, would that mean two down or increase the league to 21?

Guest Monty

Its going to be squeaky bum time for Falmouth as Elburton have recruited well in the last few weeks and i personally can see them safe and Falmouth Town going down. :huh:

Truro City have may also have influenced Falmouth's plight!

1. Truro's defeat of Taunton Town over Easter has put Town in the zone to be relegated to the Western League.

2. With two sides due for promotion from WL1 plus Taunton relegated would give 21+2+1=24 clubs in WL Premier

3. Therefore 2 clubs relegated from WL Premier to make 22

4. This means Barnstaple being second from bottom relegated to step 6

5. If Barnstaple elect to be relegated to SWP and one club promoted from each SWP Div 1 gives 19+3=22

6. Therefore two clubs to be relegated from SWP Premier to maintain a 20 club division.

Of course the SWP league may wish to run with 21 in the Premier, and divisions ones of 17 and 18. Interesting times.

Guest plainmoor

I am a Barnstaple supporter from now on-they picked up a useful point at Bideford this afternoon but are still in the relegation zone.

Shoot me down in flames if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that the date has passed for teams from the Western League to apply to the swpl, I have checked on the swpl website but the posting has been removed, so I my mind whatever happens only one will go down.

Dont the F.A. have final say at the end of the season when they regionalise (is that a word) the National pyramid after all the ups and downs are sorted.

examples

-Last season, Cheshunt bottom of the Southern League Premier didnt drop to the SL SW1 but were moved across to the Ryman Isthmian League Div1N

Also-After two seasons in the Ryman League, AFC Sudbury were switched WITHOUT warning to the Southern League last summer.

think newton abbot spurs should be worried having only 2 games left one being bodmin who will be going there to win the league and the other away at witheridge, 10 points ahead of elburton but elburton have 6 games in hand

Falmouth 4 points behind Newton AS with 5 games in hand- It looks so routine.

But where are Falmouth (without a win in 14) looking to get those points from- maybe a sharing of the spoils with Elburton but there is no easy win from their remaining fixtures and will have to nick the odd point from drawn games.

I don't want to see Falmouth go down and I'm sure Alan Carey will do what ever he needs to do to prevent it, But what if they get relegated, after the mess the team was in when he took it over. If and I say If,, it should give him time to rebuild a team with a solid foundation, it also means more local games and bigger crowds. Falmouth Town needs to be put back on the big map, they have a good chairman and committee, along with the best proven manager in Cornwall I'm sure Falmouth will be the big force that it was in the past..

Perhaps a step back is the way forward.

The last time Falmouth went back into the Combination League (1983-84) it was Dave Wadd who built one of Towns great teams from local players.

Sadly lacking over many seasons its been all change at EVERY season and I have always believed in team spirit from consistency and comradeship for success.

Guest crocket

I Here Dave Jenkin is to team up with Alan Carey at Falmoth what a great team they would make, Any truth in this and if so when. Perhaps Alan could clarify.

We keep hearing that the squad is going to be vastly added to during the summer which leads to the big question, are those players going to want to play Division One West football?

I suggest it is very important that Town make sure they get the points this season to secure Premier Division football for next season at Bickland. Might be easier than trying to gain promotion back up - look at Penzance this season. They haven't had it as easy as we all thought!

Guest Postie Pidge

Who knows, could be all down to Falmouth's last game of the season :

Wednesday 6th May FALMOUTH TOWN v ELBURTON VILLA 7.45 PM

A date for the diary

This is Falmouth's last home game, the final game of the season is on May 9th at Cullompton.

I Here Dave Jenkin is to team up with Alan Carey at Falmoth what a great team they would make, Any truth in this and if so when. Perhaps Alan could clarify

Whoever Alan has in his team, beit managers or players is up to him. I haven't heard that one though.

And why all the panic? Falmouth to win every game and be safe!

• 2 weeks later...

According to the SWPL website (http://www.swpleague.co.uk/), both Town and Liskeard are now safe. So let's hope more people turn up and watch the remaining home games this season and bigger crowds next season. Well done Alan Carey and the team.

One Falnouth Town, there's only one Falmouth Town...

:thumbsup: